The great alternator debate - Page 7 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Thanks - sorry - didn't watch the video originally. Just did and now I understand about the cap.. Man, even a simple pulley is a "complex" thing nowadays!
Funny it is made to reduce NVH but makes me wonder if it is possibly another noise source when the coupler is starting to fail? Several folks have complained about cold start-up whine/hum/buzz/squeal and this is one thing I have never really thought about until now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Funny it is made to reduce NVH but makes me wonder if it is possibly another noise source when the coupler is starting to fail? Several folks have complained about cold start-up whine/hum/buzz/squeal and this is one thing I have never really thought about until now.
I was thinking the exact same thing. My GT has a whine/groan on cold startups - I was wondering if that little thing is the reason! But the more I thought about it, my GT only has 6k miles - and my understanding is that the cold-start whine/groan is actually "normal" on the 3.6L V6's. Whatever causes it, I hate that sound! Sounds like a worn out power steering pump or something (but I know these cars have electric steering). Whenever I do take it back to the dealership for a few small things, I'll ask about it though. I'm kind of curius what generates that noise...

Here is the noise (recorded it previously for another thread) - would love to know what it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Fd...w?usp=drivesdk
post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Denso (manufacturer of factory installed alternators) shows 2 alternators for 2015 5.7.

One with the decoupler
Attachment 944775

One without.
Attachment 944777

The whole reason for this decoupler is supposedly to help reduce NVH. Never knew alternators produced enough NVH to be noticeable. Wonder what is next...water pump pulley? Although it would be awesome if they did away with a mechanical water pump and used an electric version (probably more reliable that the crappy mech pumps we have now) so the engine can be off while the water pump and radiator fan are left on to rapidly cooldown the motor.
from that video (Gates) it sounds like it puts wear and tear on the belts and the belt tensioner.

You have this mass of windings spinning at higher rpm (note the size of the pulley) and with the 220A, the rotor windings have more mass than the 160A, 180A alternators.

I could see the argument for electric water pumps - one less parasitic drag item and as you mentioned, a cool down mode to get hot soak down. Many earlier Euro makes would have electric cooling fans that ran after shutdown (non-turbo models).

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 08:25 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Apparently this is what a bad one sounds like. Almost sounds like a bad power steering pump or trans pump but with somewhat of a howl to it.

charger
post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 PM

Hmmm - that *is* very similiar to the sound I get at could startup on my GT. The noise goes away in about 20 seconds or so on mine though - I would think it would always be there if it were the alternator pulley.
post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,354 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Ot of curiousity, I checked the alternator on my 2018 GT to see what kind I had (decoupler or not). I *think* it does have a decoupler - would you agree? This pic may no be good enough for you to tell though. I'm pretty sure it's a 160amp on this car.
That is what mine looks like, although I have the 220 amp alt.

If you want to be sure what alternator yours was built with, check the build sheet, as it will list the alternator's amperage, e.g.:

Click image for larger version

Name:	build sheet capture.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	944889

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. My GT has a whine/groan on cold startups - I was wondering if that little thing is the reason! But the more I thought about it, my GT only has 6k miles - and my understanding is that the cold-start whine/groan is actually "normal" on the 3.6L V6's. Whatever causes it, I hate that sound! Sounds like a worn out power steering pump or something (but I know these cars have electric steering). Whenever I do take it back to the dealership for a few small things, I'll ask about it though. I'm kind of curius what generates that noise...

Here is the noise (recorded it previously for another thread) - would love to know what it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Fd...w?usp=drivesdk
Every vehicle I have ever driven except one was used when I got it, and as such, they all were in various stages of disrepair upon taking ownership. Given that, you would think I had heard just about every weird sound a failing part on a vehicle can make by now, but you, sir, have a noise on your car that I have never heard!

If you are thinking it's the pulley going out, one of those videos up above had a layman's method of testing where you have someone rev the engine to 2000 RPM and then suddenly turn the ignition off. If the pulley is bad (one of these fancy one's only), it will make some weird noise as it spins down with the engine ignition already off. You might try that and see if it applies...
post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,773 Times in 2,854 Posts
Garage
Mine has had it since the beginning. 3 years later it's unchanged. Not always there, but generally on cold start mine has been sitting for 6 days. If you put it in gear, usually stops right away, but sometimes while rolling forward with no gas, I can hear it until I reach the street.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
Mine has had it since the beginning. 3 years later it's unchanged. Not always there, but generally on cold start mine has been sitting for 6 days. If you put it in gear, usually stops right away, but sometimes while rolling forward with no gas, I can hear it until I reach the street.

A Guy
Until you reach the street?!? Makes me wonder just where you're starting off from...

<imagines the likely possibilities...>

I'm envisioning a deserted stretch of road with nothing but farmland on either side for as far as the eye can see...except for a black Charger sitting askew about 20 yards off to one side. No wait, it's not a Charger, it's a Challenger!! In fact, it's @A Guy 's Challenger!

The morning dew is thick on the crushed grass leading from the roadway to the Challenger's tires, with the sun's first light just starting to break in the east. Both doors on the Challenger are wide open, and the trunk lid is down but not latched...as if someone had just managed to escape by pulling the emergency handle and bailing out.

Inside the car lies @A Guy , naked from the waste down, sprawled across the back seat, clearly drunk based upon the whiskey bottles scattered all around the car. Somewhere in the distance a car's exhaust backfires, jolting @A Guy from his blissful, if whiskey induced, slumber. He comes to, takes in his surroundings, and hops into the driver's seat in a flash. He fires up the Challenger, hears that familiar growl, and knows all is well once again.

Putting her in drive, he gasses it and yanks the wheel back toward the same street that he so unceremoniously left the previous night. He doesn't even worry about shutting the doors, as he knows the momentum of his WOT, when coupled with their stationary position, will slam them shut in an instant.

And off into the distance he goes...tomorrow may find him in a similar situation, but yesterday will never catch him...because he's @A Guy !!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
jtrosky (05-03-2019)
post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,773 Times in 2,854 Posts
Garage
Lol, sounds romantic Courtyard to street. Taken day I drove it home

A Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode