infinity speakers are awesome - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
infinity speakers are awesome

After hearing the amazing sound quality of my wife's 2017 Ram Laramie Infinity system I decided the Challenger was due for an audio upgrade.
I was going to upgrade the 730N head unit but thankfully decided to initially do the speakers only, and the head unit is still good but the nav display is dated and the sirius interface is a little cumbersome...2010 technology.
I installed Infinity Reference REF-9632ix in the front doors and Infinity Reference REF-6532ex in the rear tray.
The factory speakers felt and looked cheap compared to the infinity model, the new speakers were two or three times the weight of the factory model. The magnets were much larger, but they still fit in the factory location.
The sound is so much more clear, and the increase in bass is enough (for me) that I don't think I need to install a sub in the trunk.
I would definitely recommend these speakers, I purchased the kit from crutchfield which included the adapters so everything plugged in (no cutting & soldering needed).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_140442_resized.jpg
Views:	3971
Size:	905.9 KB
ID:	932253   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_095857_resized.jpg
Views:	3950
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	932255   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_082936_resized.jpg
Views:	3852
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	932257  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4 Eco Diesel GDE tune, fully loaded, hers.
2010 R/T 6M 500HP Daily driver
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6.1 based [email protected]:1,Howards Cam,ported heads/intake,Fore Hat,52# Deatschwerks injectors,AFR shaker,Derale oil cooler,Barton STS,shorty headers,3" solo performance duals,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 180*,BT Catch Can,SLP locks,BT dash kit,MP hood struts,sequential tails, 20x10 Hellcat chromes wrapped in 305 Pirellis,rear cam,park sense.
09 Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit 1255 I-4 - Yoshi exhaust, WP seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Nice, Infinity makes some good speakers at a reasonable price.
The Following User Says Thank You to skynyed For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (10-23-2018)
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,355 Times in 983 Posts
Garage
In my experience the Infinity Reference line of speakers is the perfect aftermarket replacement for stock speakers. They sound great even when powered by a stock head unit, and they can handle a reasonably sized amplifier as well should that upgrade happen later on.

On the subject of the stock speakers, yes they are the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality, and they sound like crap when powered by the factory head unit. However, they can be made to sound decent if a small amp is used to power them. Although I will admit that in most cases it is much easier to just to replace them with quality aftermarket ones than it is to wire in an amp to power them.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Do you think these would help the newer Harmon Kardon setups?

2015 SRT 392 A8, Granite, Sepia, Totaled 8/9/17
2016 SRT 392 A8, Go Mango w/Satin Black Hellcat Hood and Mopar TA CAI, Tech package, Napa, Sunroof, Scott Drake Black billet fuel door, KW Adjustable Springs, BWoody Sway Bar End Links, Scott Drake Front Shock Tower Brace, Billet Tech Catch Can, Downforce Solutions Front Splitter and Wickerbill, Akrapovic CF Exhaust Tips, Xpel 20% tint.
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
I would say absolutely.

You will get the best bang for your buck if you match the speakers’ RMS wattage needs to what your system is providing, and that depends on whether or not you have a factory amp. If you don’t, get the speakers rated for lower RMS, 50w and below. If you do, you can go for the speakers in the next range up for RMS wattage, and they will sound outstanding.
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
I love the HK system, but sometimes I find the door speakers aren't up to it when I turn up the volume. If you decide to go this way with Infinity speakers, let me know what speakers you replaced and with what model.

Just for kicks, I looked at Crutchfield's website for Infinity door speakers for the HK system. My eyes glazed over.

2016 SXT+ Airaid CAI. Fastman ported throttle body. Bright pedals. Billet Technology catch can. Petty front shock tower brace. 1 of 524 Plumb-crazy SXT's for 2016.
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEKrunner View Post
I love the HK system, but sometimes I find the door speakers aren't up to it when I turn up the volume. If you decide to go this way with Infinity speakers, let me know what speakers you replaced and with what model.

Just for kicks, I looked at Crutchfield's website for Infinity door speakers for the HK system. My eyes glazed over.
If we're talking Infinity Reference speakers for the Challenger, here's what you're looking at (listed in order of importance of replacing, IMHO):
1a) door drivers (factory h/u pushing speakers) - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R96...EF-9632ix.html
1b) door drivers (factory amp pushing speakers) - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R96...EF-9633ix.html
2) rear deck - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R65...EF-6532ex.html
3) dash corners - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R30...F-3032cfx.html

NOTE A: 1a vs 1b is an either/or situation depending upon what is powering the speakers now (and what will be powering them after replacement). I do not know if the factory Harmon Kardon systems have a factory amp, so I put both. If it does not, go with option 1a. If it does, go with option 1b.

NOTE B: replacing the 3.5" speakers in the dash is not absolutely necessary IMO. Some will say do it since you are replacing the rest, but I do not believe the price of the replacements justifies the minimal upgrade in sound if powered by stock head-unit. It's up to you though, they will help the overall sound somewhat.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
ChallyTatum (01-22-2019), Dethklok9163 (05-31-2019), FreddyG (11-17-2018), MEKrunner (10-24-2018), Tshane72 (10-23-2018)
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Nuke! I would love to do this. My R/T is a base with just a CD player and radio...would just like to switch out the speakers. But man looks like a pain in the but to get the door panels off? Also is it still just two connections on the speakers?

For my surround sound in my home theater I have older Infinity Studio Monitors for all my speakers and movies sound awesome!

Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 PM

Also, how involved is it to get to the rear speakers in the rear tray? I definitely want to look into doing this real soon.
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane72 View Post
Nuke! I would love to do this. My R/T is a base with just a CD player and radio...would just like to switch out the speakers. But man looks like a pain in the but to get the door panels off? Also is it still just two connections on the speakers?

For my surround sound in my home theater I have older Infinity Studio Monitors for all my speakers and movies sound awesome!
They aren’t too bad. I guess it just depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If you mostly do your own work on the car, getting the door panels off and back on isn’t going to be a big deal. Check out this write-up for some tips and pics: https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...wesome-663027/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshane72 View Post
Also, how involved is it to get to the rear speakers in the rear tray? I definitely want to look into doing this real soon.
They are a little more cumbersome to remove (not to get to though, that’s not too bad) due to the back glass being right above the screws holding them down. So you have to get creative with those puppies.

There’s various different methods I’ve seen used and used myself. The one I like is using a 1/4” ratcheting wrench to turn a Phillips head driver bit, but there are other options. Check that write-up above for some more tips on this one.

You can always leave the speakers as-is and just add an amplifier. That’s what I have done with my Charger, and it sounds great. Although I will admit the whole process was way more work than just replacing the speakers, but the speaker option was not a good one for me because of <reasons>.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
Tshane72 (10-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode