infinity speakers are awesome - Page 12 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Thanked 1,117 Times in 626 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slow day at work, so I was able to read, then cut/paste sections of this into an email to myself for future reference.

My new Challenger will have the base system; I thought I'd be able to upgrade inexpensively, and you fine gentlemen (and Nuke) have shown me the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Renny", a 2015 Scat Pack 392, 6M Pitch Black - Driver's Conv Opt; Tech Opt; Leather; SGII
Billet Technology engine bay pieces - Sponsor
Custom designed, George Barris inspired side pipes Hiflow Custom Exhaust - Sponsor
Katzkin Leather interior - Sponsor
NoWeeds Exhaust Diverters - Sponsor
Barton Flat Stick Short Shifter
Mopar Stage 1 Springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,354 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaVaSteeler View Post
Slow day at work, so I was able to read, then cut/paste sections of this into an email to myself for future reference.

My new Challenger will have the base system; I thought I'd be able to upgrade inexpensively, and you fine gentlemen (and Nuke) have shown me the way.
Emailing yourself items of interest for later reference is so 2010.

It's time for you to take control of your browsing experience by integrating the note taking experience into your browser.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
post #113 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,862 Posts
Garage
I use my flip phone to call my magic jack to leave a message so I'll get an email

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (06-08-2019), jtrosky (06-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
I use my flip phone to call my magic jack to leave a message so I'll get an email

A Guy
Nuke-fucious say, if you have a phone whose name describes its entertainment value, it's about time to upgrade your telephone infrastructure.

I suggest auto-forwarding the flip-phone to the Magic Jack and then auto-forwarding the Magic Jack back to the flip-phone. Then start looking at what kind of phone you want next, cause once someone calls either number, things will happen...bad things.
post #115 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
It seems the factory MyGIG 730N put out more RMS than the replacement Alpine ILX-W650 unit I purchased, as now the bass response for the Infinity speakers I originally installed is less.
I added a small 8" sub with a 350w amp in the trunk, but I would still like a bit more mid-range.
I will probably opt for the power pack amp that couples with the receiver I purchased, should up the RMS to 50x4 vs the headunit only 15x4.

I am attempting to get enough RMS and quality of speakers to enable the music to overpower the exhaust...I may have to invest in more sound deadening as well tho.

2017 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4 Eco Diesel GDE tune, fully loaded, hers.
2010 R/T 6M 500HP Daily driver
- 6.1 based [email protected]:1,Howards Cam,ported heads/intake,Fore Hat,52# Deatschwerks injectors,AFR shaker,Derale oil cooler,Barton STS,shorty headers,3" solo performance duals,BBK 85,HP tuned,Jet 180*,BT Catch Can,SLP locks,BT dash kit,MP hood struts,sequential tails, 20x10 Hellcat chromes wrapped in 305 Pirellis,rear cam,park sense.
09 Suzuki GSF1250 Bandit 1255 I-4 - Yoshi exhaust, WP seat

Last edited by chizzle1; 06-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.
post #116 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzle1 View Post
It seems the factory MyGIG 730N put out more RMS than the replacement Alpine ILX-W650 unit I purchased, as now the bass response for the Infinity speakers I originally installed is less.
I added a small 8" sub with a 350w amp in the trunk, but I would still like a bit more mid-range.
I will probably opt for the power pack amp that couples with the receiver I purchased, should up the RMS to 50x4 vs the headunit only 15x4.

I am attempting to get enough RMS and quality of speakers to enable the music to overpower the exhaust...I may have to invest in more sound deadening as well tho.
Those Alpine power packs are nice. Huge improvement over head-unit power. I've used the KTP-445U (the Universal version) and had great success with it. Although, honestly, If you don't need a 2-ohm stable amp, you might want to consider the Kicker KEY180.4 instead. It's the same red-brick sized class-D amp as the power pack, but it also has a built-in, self-tuning DSP, which really improves sound quality (it automatically sets EQ for each speaker, gains and time-alignment - all automatically) - makes the vocals seem to come out of the windshield due to the time-alignment. Really cool little amp (45Wx4 RMS). It won't be as "plug and play" as the Alpine power pack that is made specifically for an Alpine head-unit, but will give better results.

You set a mic on the headrest, push a button and close the door (you stand outside the car) and the thing sends sounds to each speaker and tunes everything using the incluced mic. Kind of like how a home stereo does it with their auto-setup systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (06-09-2019)
post #117 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:

I was recently given one of those Alpine PowerPack amps (the 445U), and I ended up installing it in the wife's car, and I am impressed. The mini form factor was a life-saver, as that car has nowhere to stash a normal sized amp up front. And the output was quite impressive as well. It easily handles all four of the new 5.25" coaxials (and 2 tweeters wired in parallel on front channels) I just installed.

There's no doubt the average Dodge LX could greatly benefit from a significant amount of sound deadening, but doing it right and making the end result look like nothing has been done can be a daunting task...it is for me anyway. What kind of 8" sub are you running? I would think 350w would be enough to make it sing...what's the enclosure situation for it?

If it's a free air 8" mounted in the rear deck like the factory setup, I can see that being light on bass. I think the only way I've seen that approach work is when a custom enclosure was fabricated for the sub and affixed to its underside beneath the deck surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (06-09-2019)
post #118 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
Those Alpine power packs are nice. Huge improvement over head-unit power. I've used the KTP-445U (the Universal version) and had great success with it. Although, honestly, If you don't need a 2-ohm stable amp, you might want to consider the Kicker KEY180.4 instead. It's the same red-brick sized class-D amp as the power pack, but it also has a built-in, self-tuning DSP, which really improves sound quality (it automatically sets EQ for each speaker, gains and time-alignment - all automatically) - makes the vocals seem to come out of the windshield due to the time-alignment. Really cool little amp (45Wx4 RMS). It won't be as "plug and play" as the Alpine power pack that is made specifically for an Alpine head-unit, but will give better results.

You set a mic on the headrest, push a button and close the door (you stand outside the car) and the thing sends sounds to each speaker and tunes everything using the incluced mic. Kind of like how a home stereo does it with their auto-setup systems.
I am looking for the plug and play ease of installation. This one doesn't do the automatic setup, but it has a few nice features.
For the price ($165 shipped), the positive reviews, and the ease of installation it seems like a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I was recently given one of those Alpine PowerPack amps (the 445U), and I ended up installing it in the wife's car, and I am impressed. The mini form factor was a life-saver, as that car has nowhere to stash a normal sized amp up front. And the output was quite impressive as well. It easily handles all four of the new 5.25" coaxials (and 2 tweeters wired in parallel on front channels) I just installed.

There's no doubt the average Dodge LX could greatly benefit from a significant amount of sound deadening, but doing it right and making the end result look like nothing has been done can be a daunting task...it is for me anyway. What kind of 8" sub are you running? I would think 350w would be enough to make it sing...what's the enclosure situation for it?

If it's a free air 8" mounted in the rear deck like the factory setup, I can see that being light on bass. I think the only way I've seen that approach work is when a custom enclosure was fabricated for the sub and affixed to its underside beneath the deck surface.
I used some fat mat on the trunk and under the rear seat when I was installing the upgraded fuel system and it seemed to lessen road noise a bit.
I took a peak under the front carpet when I was installing the new head unit rear cam and noticed a good bit of insulation there already. The doors don't really have any sound deadening so that will probably be the next body panel that gets attention.

I purchased a single 8" with a compact non-ported enclosure (I use my trunk a lot and need the space).
Oddly enough the best placement for bass to reach the cabin seems to be the rear right side of the trunk. I tried putting it up against the back seat but it didn't seem to help any.
The amp is mounted vertical to the left of the latch assembly.
I'll get some pics once I'm back, currently out of pocket for a little while...

The bass is easier to hear with the engine off, which is making me think the exhaust tone is overpowering the low end tones...
if it's still no bueno with the added power pack I'll probably just deal with it. It seems I can't have the terrorizing exhaust note and a quiet cabin at the same time...
post #119 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I am looking for the plug and play ease of installation. This one doesn't do the automatic setup, but it has a few nice features.

For the price ($165 shipped), the positive reviews, and the ease of installation it seems like a good deal.
Completely understandable. In my case, I didn't have an Alpine head-unit, so the Kicker was just as easy to connect as the Alpine KTP-445U power pack, so the Kicker was a better choice for me. But in your case, I can completely understand going the way that you are.

I noticed that Kicker has some new, updated PowerPack units out - which model are you going with? One of the newer models or the original KTP-445 model? Just curious. I only have experience with the KTP-445U powerpack....
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (06-12-2019)
post #120 of 126 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
You can try placing that 8" sub as far forward and right as you can get it, up against the seat back of the rear seat, and then pull that side of the rear seat down so you can see the sub from the drivers seat. That's going to be the only way to get some bass up front from a 8" sub in a sealed enclosure in the trunk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
chizzle1 (06-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode