my Challenger was vandalized, need help with security mod ideas - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video Anything that pertains to the interior electronics modifications such as stereos, A/V, lighting...not exclusive to the Challenger please feel free to share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So sorry to hear that some loser did this to your car. I can't stand people like that - people that are so jealous of what you have that they damage your property - just because they can't have something as nice. Annoys me to no end...

After my recent fender-bender, I'm looking to add cameras as well (even though this one was *my* fault!). This little fender-bender really woke me up as to just how important something like this could be in a case where the "at fault" driver doesn't own up to their mistake - and may be useful for something like vandelism as well - even if just to prove to the insurance company that someone else did the damage (and it wasn't you doing it by accident or something) - or if someone hits your car while it's parked - again, just to prove that someone hit you while it was parked. Or that someone broke your windshield, etc, etc, etc...

Just browsing that dashcam site, I saw this one - records both front and back for a much lower price (not sure you need 4k video for something like this!):

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blac...ar/#reviewstab

I'm sure that there are TONS of options out there. Just make sure you dont' buy one of the $50 Ebay specials... :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post:
hemi4us (05-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Hemi View Post
2015 Charger, huh...
Yup but can be done on pre-15 models. It compliments having a dash cam.

+2015 wiring

This guy has a pre-2015 and taps directly to door wire.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...3=#post7013913

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 AM

Garage
Personally I do use some of the cheaper Ebay cameras since just about any camera is better than no camera. They have been used in 2 of my vehicles when they were rear ended and would have been evidence if there was a dispute about who was at fault. In my case just mentioning the fact that we have the events recorded did not let this go any farther. I am working on rear cameras for each now. I would love to have a state of the art camera system that I can control with my phone but there are so many options out there that I need to do more research before pulling the trigger on a $500 system. I think the modern spare tire will be one of the first big purchases for this car and I will use the $40 Amazon camera until I find a better system. As I already stated, any camera is better then none. I don't mind paying for good products, I just need to make sure it is worth the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Will post #12 work for an old 2009 ?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Yup but can be done on pre-15 models. It compliments having a dash cam.

+2015 wiring

This guy has a pre-2015 and taps directly to door wire.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...3=#post7013913
The guy in the video was standing next to a Challenger...

BTW, wiring the body to a live ignition coil would provide the desired protection.

Getting it all on video would make it more entertaining...

Somewhere in the Sonora Desert...
2014 R/T Shaker M6 w/JBA long tubes and exhaust, Magnuson super charger, Fastman throttle body, API fuel hat, HHP custom tune - See the rest in my garage...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife: 2015 R/T Plus A8 jazz blue pearl w/ Super Track Pak, A/C-heated leather seats and some other cool stuff,,,
Member:

The Following User Says Thank You to Gila Hemi For This Useful Post:
hemi4us (05-12-2019)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 AM

Garage
I think your events happened in reverse. The person kicked the bumper first to see if a car alarm would go off, then he tried to gain entry via the window. It was a burglary or auto theft attempt not vandalism in my opinion and I would have wrote it up as such. Was there anything in the car that was in view to entice this person?

Last edited by Punisher_1; 05-12-2019 at 04:08 AM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:49 AM

The only place my car is ever parked and left is at the Cigar store by the owner's or other employee's vehicles. If me and wife are out cruising and she or I need to stop somewhere one of us is always with the car.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseV8 View Post
You got $500+ you can spend?

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/blac...ront-and-rear/

Something to keep in mind, you can take it to the police, but will likely do nothing about it unless it is very serious or you literally catch them in the act then and there.
This is the truth for sure. Found this out the HARD WAY.

Construction dude in front of my wife drops a five gallon plastic container out of the back of his truck in traffic. My wife and two others behind her couldn't safely get out of the splash. White latex all all over the car. Cleaning it off took me HOURS......and getting it off the bottom was near impossible. Thankfully this was her winter ride and I cared a whole lot less about it than our summer rides.

She got his plate number and all three owners called local police for help.

All of us got the same "rap", "We'll go talk to him and if admits to it we'll file a report you can use in civil court. If he doesn't admit to it there isn't much we can do for you. You'll have to pursue it yourself." Either way they weren't inclined to do much of anything about it. It was on each of the three car owners to pursue it in civil court.

Bottom line, what I took away from it? These are civil court claims for damages and the police won't be a whole lot of help until the amount of damages reach high enough to file a more serious charge.

Last edited by TA 392 YJ; 05-12-2019 at 05:09 AM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
I got run off the road in my freshly painted van years ago, well before dash cams. I got the plate number and a description of the guy who looked back at me as I drove over the curb into the grass. The cops told me he could not get a ticket since they did not witness it themselves. Other than a civil suit today, option #2 is to post a video of the stupid drivers all over YouTube and possibly shame them. Some stupid drivers actually post videos they actually took of themselves doing stupid stuff. The guy did not actually hit my van since I saw him coming but it was pretty hard to miss something that big in front of his Chevette. This was also way before cell phone distraction.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:38 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila Hemi View Post
The guy in the video was standing next to a Challenger...

BTW, wiring the body to a live ignition coil would provide the desired protection.

Getting it all on video would make it more entertaining...
Why stop at the ignition coil...trunk monkey baby!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Car Electronics- Lights, Fuses, Audio & Video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode