Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Upgrading from 130 to 430n or 730n

155K views 237 replies 91 participants last post by  nogoer 
#1 · (Edited)
This question seems to come up quite frequently. What do I need to upgrade my 130 to a RER/RHB/RHR, is it (PNP) plug and play? So I thought I might write up some information to maybe ease the pain. This may be something the MODs might want to sticky because of how frequent this topic comes up.

Here we go.

1) When upgrading to MyGig, the first thing one should look for is a LOW BUS speed unit. These were used in many vehicles and are plentiful to be found used at a reasonable price. Far from many rumors, the BUS speed has not changed since the first Challenger up until 2014. This is a true PNP, radio wise. Just plug it in, and it works. No going to dealer to activate anything. If buying used from unreliable source, get the part number and do a Google search to see if it cross references to your application. If local, plug it into your car on the spot. It doesn't take but a little time. If your car doesn't start, don’t buy it. It’s a HIGH speed BUS unit.

2) In 2011, the RER changed to RHR and 430n became a NAV. With that, most import to note is that the antenna changed. They combined the NAV and Sirius into one. If putting RHB/RHR into 2010- might be best to purchase new antenna. RER into 2011+ is ok because you still need separate antenna for NAV.

3) Any unit 2012 and newer requires a 4 digit anti-theft pin code to activate (so they say, some have reported different). When purchasing one used, make sure you get it. If not, you will need the VIN from the donor car to retrieve the pin from dealer.

4) 2010- units will work in 2011+ vehicles and vice versa as well. See notes above about antenna changes.

5) 430n’s have external hands free modules. 730n’s have internal hands free modules.

6) The easiest way to convert from 130 with Uconnect is to use the RHB. No adapter harness is needed.

7) If you have Uconnect and want to upgrade to RER/RHR, you WILL need a conversion harness to get your mic to work. They make 2. The first is part number 82211666 ($119.00) and is intended for 2010- vehicles. This goes from back of radio to mic’d mirror. With this you will need part number 68068278AB ($25.00) as well to connect console USB. For 2011+ they came out with another harness. Part number 82212906 ($81.40). This harness goes directly from the back of radio to the OEM plug you unplugged from the HFM. With it comes the USB extension you will need to get the console USB to function again. Now, I can’t verify if 2010- owners can purchase the 82212906 and use this and save some cash. The part number for the hands free module changed for 2011 but the 22 way wire connector stayed the same.

That is about all I can think of now. If anyone knows of better or more info, please post. This can be an ongoing post for others to contribute to. The more the merrier.

LOW SPEED UNIT Part numbers NOTE: Some units came RSC(Sirius) and NON RSC. When purchasing, ask for confirmation (or a picture of unit) if this is an option you want. Also, as stated above, 2012+ units are security code locked. You need code from seller and/or may need receipt and vin from seller to get code from dealer.

This is most but probably not all. They are multi fit: meaning they are not only Challenger part numbers. Some are Compass, Avenger, Caliber,Patriot. All being LOW SPEED.

RER (730n) 2008-2010
05064401AK
05064737AD
05064816AD

REN (430) 2008-2010
05064756AC
05091167AD
05091306AC
05091307AC
05091168AD
05064758AC

RHR (730n) 2011-2014
05064821AE
05091656AE
68224879AA
68092001AE

RBZ (430) 2011-2014
05064676AH
05091167AD
05091306AE
05091307AE
05091168AD
05064677AH

RHB (430n) 2011-2014
05064840AH
05091183AD
05091335AF
05064836AH
05091184AD
05091336AF

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the very base radio with no uconnect or sat. (2009 model) Would it be best then to upgrade to a 730N RER since the uconnect is already pre-installed inside the unit?

If so, what parts do I need to purchase to make it work smoothly? (antenna, harness, etc..)

Thanks

#3 ·
Yes..RER would be best bet. All you would need is the NAV antenna and a hands free mic. Either the mirror mounted one or a remote. I did the very same hing to my daughters Sebring. She had base radio and I added a RER and remote mic.

#4 ·
Chargerdude, glad this thread was posted - thank you!

Quick question, I am looking at a 430 (non Nav) unit for a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. I am pretty confident that this will work considering I have a Uconnect 130 w/ Sirius & BT.

Btw, is a price of $200 worth it?

#5 ·
Not sure how to answer this because of how asked? If you are asking if a 2012 Mini Van Mygig will work in a Challenger...No..its a High Speed unit..... If you are asking if it will be plug and play into a Mini Van...Yes...providing it IS a High Speed unit....Now..not all units have same capability even though they say they are 430. Some are Uconnect capable and some are not. Best to get the donor part number and research it. Hope this helps

#7 ·
Thanks for taking the time to make this sticky! I would like to add to the following statement:

3) Any unit 2012 and newer requires a 4 digit anti-theft pin code to activate (so they say, some have reported different). When purchasing one used, make sure you get it. If not, you will need the VIN from the donor car to retrieve the pin from dealer.

I installed a 2012 unit and yes, it required a 4 digit pin code which I didn't have. I did not have access to the vin# either, but the dealer had no problem configuring it to my Challenger. It cost me $89 at my dealer. I believe they re-flashed it with the latest firmware.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: ScottRT
#11 ·
I want to downgrade from the 730n (I assume? It's out of a 2009 SRT8 with the Kicker set up and has the Navigation and touch screen, etc...) to a 130. Would that be plug n play for me? I will be selling the 730n here in the classifieds as soon as I remove it, probably this weekend (as long as it is plug n play). I assume I will need to remove the GPS antenna for the buyer? How should I describe the 730n set up for potential buyers? Thanks for any advice.

#12 ·
Just advertise your radio as a 2009 Challenger 730N RER Low Speed unit. If you offer the antenna with it as well, thats a plus. Base 130 radios came with or without Sirrius so if buying, be aware. The plugs on the back for Sirrius and Radio antenna are the same. Your current RER has Uconnect/Hands free built in. Hands free will not work when you down grade to a base 130. A seperate hands free module and specific wiring/connectors are required.

#14 ·
I believe antenna is above the head unit fastened to the cross beam with two screws..... For the radio to work in his car...it will plug and play as is and nav will work with antenna you provide....if he has and wants uconnect to work...he will need the bypass harness.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: powertec
#15 ·
I believe antenna is above the head unit fastened to the cross beam with two screws..... For the radio to work in his car...it will plug and play as is and nav will work with antenna you provide....if he has and wants uconnect to work...he will need the bypass harness.....

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

#16 · (Edited)
Want to do this in my 2010 but would also like to put in the auto dim mirror that I believe has the mic and controls in it. Is this an easy upgrade to do also or am I asking for trouble since the radio has built in uconnect? I hope I explained it correctly. I am tired of having to charge a bluetooth device and not having nav or backup camera. I especially need the camera. Please let me know what I would need to do the upgrade so I can put a price list together.

Found this radio from OEM auto parts is this the one I need and is it a good price?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140852471031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks
Jesse

#19 ·
Want to do this in my 2010 but would also like to put in the auto dim mirror that I believe has the mic and controls in it. Is this an easy upgrade to do also or am I asking for trouble since the radio has built in uconnect? I hope I explained it correctly. I am tired of having to charge a bluetooth device and not having nav or backup camera. I especially need the camera. Please let me know what I would need to do the upgrade so I can put a price list together.

Found this radio from OEM auto parts is this the one I need and is it a good price?
Dodge Chrysler Jeep CD DVD 730N Uconnect Low Speed RER GPS Navigation Radio | eBay

Thanks
Jesse
IMHO...$899.95 is alot of money for a used RER.... I have seen them for around $500.00 many times on here and other forums. For your mirror question, I'm not sure what connectors are included in the headliner harness. For the auto dim to work, you may need to do some wiring. For the mic to work, when you get the bypass harness, it will plug into the mirror and then the mic will work. Hope this helps....

#17 · (Edited)
So I have a 2014 challenger with the 130 with uconnect hands free bluetooth. And want to go nav.

If I get a 5064816AD that I was told came out of a 2010 challenger to get everything to work correctly all I would have to do is get the cable 82212906

and I should be good to go ?

is this the correct cable on ebay ?
Dodge Chrysler Jeep Hands Free Wireless Uconnect Mopar | eBay

thanks

and is there any reason not to go with that head unit ?

#20 ·
So I have a 2014 challenger with the 130 with uconnect hands free bluetooth. And want to go nav.

If I get a 5064816AD that I was told came out of a 2010 challenger to get everything to work correctly all I would have to do is get the cable 82212906

and I should be good to go ?

is this the correct cable on ebay ?
Dodge Chrysler Jeep Hands Free Wireless Uconnect Mopar | eBay

thanks

and is there any reason not to go with that head unit ?

Sorry...I've been on Vacation this past week....There is nothing wrong with using the RER. I had one in my 2011 before I found a RHR. Only reason I switched is because I wanted it factory correct. I think you loose the USB capability that is in the arm rest though. I don't recall the RER having USB in the back of the unit. The cable you linked is supposed to be correct for 2011+ cars upgrading form RES - RHR. No reason it wont work for you. It includes the USB cable I mentioned, you just wont use it. I used the 82211666 cable in my car because I wasn't aware of the other. When you do the install, please report back how using that harness went.

#21 ·
Well I got the 5064816AD installed with the 82212906 cable was very simple to do other than trying to unplug the uconnect harnesses from behind the glove box. I have big gorilla hands and even with the box door removed it was a PITA.

Everything seems to work other than the usb in the center console but I expected that and did not see a real use for it anyways. Errr I guess I did not pair my phone with it yet so not sure if streaming still works.

The only painful thing was after installing it all and turning it on it still read as I was in Florida :) and my home is in Tx I even set the state to Tx and it did not change till I drove it around the block.

I wanted to test everything before I hooked up the lock pick so thats the next step any recomendations for that install ?

#22 ·
Glad to here all went well. Sorry, I have never installed a loc pic. I believe there is a thread on here though. From what I have read, it should be pretty straight forward if you're not hooking up cameras. Then it can become a bit more complicated but easily doable.

#23 ·
lockpick was simple checked the jumpers were set to the correct place plug it inline between the factory harness and radio.

My rear view cam is on the its way via a slow boat from China err well ok an international mail packet :). It acttualy got to California on thursady so should be here soon.

I don't know why I was being a bone head and did not order the front one at the same time. I guess I wanted to see how it worked first but they are only 20ish bucks lol.

any recommended cables to run for the cams ? and any idea what length is needed for the rear and the front ? seems like a fairly straight shot.

#24 ·
Anyone dealt with factorychryslerparts.com? I want to order the GPS antenna through them but haven't done any dealings with them before. Radio will be here this weekend and would like to work on it early next week. IF anyone has any input on these guys I would appreciate it.

#25 ·
Anyone dealt with factorychryslerparts.com? I want to order the GPS antenna through them but haven't done any dealings with them before. Radio will be here this weekend and would like to work on it early next week. IF anyone has any input on these guys I would appreciate it.
None here but why not support a forum sponsor. Steve White Motors post on the forum very frequently and is a Chrysler dealer. I'm sure he can take care of your parts needs. Look him up in the venders section. Just a thought.

Reactions: CRAZYACE63
#28 · (Edited)
In a nutnshell...130 is am /fm.. cd with sirius and hands free....430 is touch screen.. nav and hard drive..sirius..hands free...730 is same as 430 but more features.... in a nut shell

Edit:

NEED TO EXPAND ON THIS

There is a 430 and a 430N.. N designating Navigation...430's require nothing more than the radio to PnP into your existing 130 configuration. 730's require a seperate wiring harness if you still want your handsfree to function.

#29 ·
Hey Guys,

I just swapped out the factory 130 for a 430N RHB today on my 2014 R/T.

It was super easy to do, took about 15 minutes and totally plug and play.

My car already had the Sound Group II and man I swear it sounds much much better
with the 430 installed compared to the 130 and the Garmin navigation works well.

Very happy with the sound system in the car now.
:cheers:

#68 ·
other options

Did you look into Any aftermarket units? , Howe much did the 430n cost, and where did u get it?
I have a 130 and st2 but don't like the sound

#30 ·
So just got everything installed except NAV antenna since it's not here yet. Great looking piece in the car now but when I put a DVD in I don't get video. I have the car in park and it didn't work so I put the parking brake on and still nothing. I drove around for a bit and parked the car and tried again but it still doesn't work. I have a lockpick coming but in the meantime is there something I did wrong? Can't wait to get the NAV antenna in so I can get the auto brightness to work also. Any help is welcome. thanks

#31 ·
Upgrade from UConnect 130 to MyGig RBZ

Previous posts to this thread have touched on bits and pieces of what I'm about to do. I have a 2013 Challenger SXT with the UConnect 130 and I purchased a MyGig RBZ on eBay which according to the seller is new and never installed in a vehicle. The seller is located in Sterling Heights, Michigan which being in the general area of the factory probably was able to pick this up at some kind of sale. The seller has sold several of these units and has a 100% positive rating so I'm guessing they're not stolen. From what I've read on here and other sites, it should be a simple PnP, but it's still a little confusing whether or not the Blue Tooth is internal or requires a separate module. I don't care about the Nav part of things, but I would like to add a rear and front facing camera as finances permit. Another thing that I've been having trouble finding info on is the physical process of removing the bezel to gain access to the unit. I have a bad back , which makes it rather difficult to twist around trying to see what holds it in place. I haven't done anything like this in a good number of years, but there's usually a little trick to avoid doing any damage. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I might try to take pictures of the process to share with others.

Thanks

#33 ·
Previous posts to this thread have touched on bits and pieces of what I'm about to do. I have a 2013 Challenger SXT with the UConnect 130 and I purchased a MyGig RBZ .............
Thanks

RBZ has an external hands free module. You will be fine. Above poster is spot on for removal and cautions.

#32 ·
Pistol, I am not sure on the RBZ Uconnect thing but to get the bezel off you want to grab the bottom right corner and pull. It will be stiff and your fingers will hurt but give it a yank and the bezel will come off. There are 7 clips that hold the bezel on 2 on each side and 3 across the top. Just make sure you don't pull it out too far since the A/C controls are wired there and you need to release those before it comes completely off. After that you set teh bezel aside and unscrew 4 screws that hold the radio on and slide her out. Mine is a 10 R/T and it was a snug fit but wiggle the radio and it will release. Hope this helps and good luck with the install. I just did the 730N RER and it is a wonderful thing. Mine also came from Michigan and the NAV took less than 15 feet of driving to find my location.

#34 ·
Oh well, that was a bust on the unit I bought. Plugged it up and nothing, no power, vehicle wouldn't start and the only display was for a "damaged key fob." I plugged my 130 back in and everything is fine. Another problem is mounting bracket doesn't match up, but I could have worked around that if the unit worked. I guess I get to see how good my "buyer protection" works. I think I read somewhere that what I experienced is what you would get with a "high speed" unit. I guess I have to keep looking, maybe I should shoot for a 730 to simplify the Blue Tooth issue.

Thanks for all the advice.

#35 · (Edited)
dollars to doughnuts tells me its a high speed unit...if purchased through ebay with PP and advertised as low speed.....you can get money back because of misrepresentation.....

whats the part number of the unit... I will tell you if its HS or LS

#37 ·
Most PP refunds can take up to 30 days. Depending on how the seller reacts to it. I have had a couple take 2 or 3 days and one that went for just over 30 since the seller pretty much let it ride and didn't do anything with paypal to resolve it but in the end I got my money back. Hopefully it works out and the seller sees that he made a mistake and helps you out.

#40 ·
See how the mounting holes are on the left and right side not the top. Hopefully this help out I have never seen an Alternate radio listed before.
tell tail sign its for a WK/WD and not for a LC

#39 ·
#41 ·
The eBay seller is being a pain and putting the blame on me. I used what the seller provided in the listing to check compatibility, my bad, but the seller still listed it as a "low speed" unit, which it is not. Am I correct in assuming that most "low speed" units would work in my vehicle, provided I get the correct adapter cable? If the plugs match and the unit is "low speed" shouldn't it be just PnP (aside from the hands free issue)?

Thanks

#43 ·
Sorry for your issues. That's a big problem when buying a MyGig unit. Many sellers have no clue about LS vs HS and sell it to fit any Chrysler car. I see it alot on craigslist. The Ebay seller is in the wrong for not knowing his product(give him negative feedback stating so). Especially when you get it and the mounting tabs are on the top and bottom. That will only fit the 2011-13 MY Grand Cherokee or Durango(both being HS). You could always test it in a car thats HS, make sure it works, then try and sell it on another forum with your story. just a thought.

ALL LS units will PnP regardless of what car they came from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.