Barton Shifter in 2010 SRT8 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Barton Shifter in 2010 SRT8

I was getting tired of 1-2 and 2-3 nibbling when I shifted so sprang for a new Barton Shifter and a Speed Dawg knob.

Initial impressions:
- This thing is built like the proverbial brick shift-house.
- Super precise and positive feel
- Looks great (too bad 95% of it is under the boot)
- Speed Dawg has some great looking handles.

I am not a natural grease monkey, although I'm a whiz at percussive maintenance and can make my way around things that need doing when I have to. The install was both easier and harder than I expected.

I watched and made notes on Barton's official install video on YouTube (at least I think it's the official one)
Most of the other videos I saw were on new model years and the console is different.

Couple of points about the install.
- When you take the console out, I missed the part where the bottom half of the console stays while you split it in two like a clam-shell and remove the top half of the console. I frittered, farted, pulled, and cursed till I broke the clips at the front. THEN realized that it was two pieces. Drat! No major harm done. Video should have you removing the top half of the console and then removing the bolts from the rear storage compartment so there would be no question that you are only working with part of it.
- Getting the pins at the front of the shifter reinstalled was a holy PITA. I've no idea how the guy in the video just flippity-doo-dah'd and got then in so easily. Dropped mine 10 times and had to use my magnetic telescope retrieval tool to pick them back up (luckily I could usually do it from inside the car, down thru the console). Fat fingers I guess.
- The video shows putting the console back and then placing and finger-tightening the handle mounting plates to the shifter stalk. It was easier to do this before the console reinstall.
- Video could have mentioned that if you want to adjust the tension on the shifter, it would be easier to do this before installing. I didn't change the tension because I like the firmness but it is a HUGE difference from stock and others may not want such a big change.

That's it. If I can do it, pretty sure anybody can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-30 (15-06-03) Challenger Barton shifter install - console removed showing new shifter.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	802049   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-01 (18-05-57) Challenger Barton shifter.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	802057   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-01 (19-08-55) Challenger Barton shifter and Speed Dawg knob - DONE.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	564.3 KB
ID:	802065  

2010 Challenger SRT8 | Plum Crazy Pearl | 6-Speed Manual
Track Pak | PCP Group | SRT Option Group II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Vendor Member Section > Barton Industries

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode