Anyone ride in a Hellcat?? Your thoughts?? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:57 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I went from a stock 5.7 to a supercharged, full exhaust/headers setup. It was almost 200 more wheel hp. I was expecting it to be a night and day difference. Of course It had a lot more power, wheel spin, etc. I went from losing to coyotes and scat packs, to beating them by a few car lengths at the top of fourth. But wasn't a big pin me in my seat difference. Certainly not the dramatic difference I was expecting. Matter of fact, if I drove them one right after another they would feel semi close. I notice the power more when I'm pulling away from other traffic when getting into it vs just getting on it alone. I think when we expect it the most is when we notice and/or appreciate it the least.

Stumbling towards Christ.

Last edited by Ironthorn; 06-28-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 04:50 PM

I never felt that my Scatpack would get away from me. My Hellcat scares me some times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FD5002D-593D-441E-A003-6775710F86CD.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	924525  

Last edited by SRT8 Mike; 06-28-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Add pic
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SRT8 Mike For This Useful Post:
jakoye23 (07-08-2018), PurpleHaze (06-30-2018), rumblebee16 (06-28-2018), Smokn05 (08-19-2018)
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 06:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 Mike View Post
I never felt that my Scatpack would get away from me. My Hellcat scares me some times.

Abso-frickin-lutly. My butt is in constant pucker mode in the Hellcat. That car has scared me a couple of times by how quickly it gains speed. And I drove a 2018 R/T Scat Pack for 2 months before I bought the Hellcat and I drove a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (420hp, 413 torque, 3400lbs) for 8 years before I bought the R/T Scat Pack. (And a 2006 Pontiac GTO with 400hp, 400 torque.)

Even though the Hellcat can and does scare me sometimes -- and I constantly utter the mantra under my breath: be cool don't be a fool; while driving the Hellcat I love my Hellcat.

Daily I think of trading in my new Mini JCW and buying a 2nd Hellcat so I can drive a Hellcat all the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
jakoye23 (07-08-2018), PurpleHaze (06-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockster View Post
Abso-frickin-lutly. My butt is in constant pucker mode in the Hellcat. That car has scared me a couple of times by how quickly it gains speed. And I drove a 2018 R/T Scat Pack for 2 months before I bought the Hellcat and I drove a 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (420hp, 413 torque, 3400lbs) for 8 years before I bought the R/T Scat Pack. (And a 2006 Pontiac GTO with 400hp, 400 torque.)

Even though the Hellcat can and does scare me sometimes -- and I constantly utter the mantra under my breath: be cool don't be a fool; while driving the Hellcat I love my Hellcat.

Daily I think of trading in my new Mini JCW and buying a 2nd Hellcat so I can drive a Hellcat all the time.
I find that the secret is to have that “ I meant to do that look on my face” I definitely need to get some Nittos on the back of this thing.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
I’ve been really fortunate here, in that joining the local SRT club has afforded me the chance to meet some really nice people, and swap opportunities to drive some cars.

Tires do make one heck of a difference, but one of the things that people also tend to ignore is the difference in gear ratios between the Scat and the Hellcat.

My Scat A8 has the 3.90 rear gears (stock), and was plenty fast with good tires on it. Adding the blower, it’s right on the edge of unusable at WOT off the line, and really needs to have the suspension redone in order to get more of the tire to the ground more of the time. Until that happens, it’s my suspicion that I’d be spending more of my time fighting it around the track than driving it. Similar power to the wheels as the new Alfa Romeo, but without the all-wheel drive and a little more weight.

The Hellcat has the 2.92 gears(?) in the auto- it’s not going to spin up as fast off the line as it would with a shorter first and second gear or final ratio. What should be telling, is that it still not only keeps up with the Scat, but keeps pulling better and harder through the rest. To me, that’s where the extra horsepower and torque really shines through- not so much on the launch, which is probably tamed over what running it with something like a 3.40 would feel like on slicks, much less a 3.90 or a 4.10.

If you’ve ever seen videos of classic vs. current muscle at the drag strip and thought “man, the old cars just launch so much harder,” remember that lots of those adjustments in tires, suspension, and gearing were done to match a lot of work to optimize them for just that event- and a Hellcat with drag radials and a competent driver will still take almost all of them that don’t run under 10.00 by the end of the quarter while being significantly heavier. The ones it doesn’t are going to be purpose modified to either run 10.00 bracket races and/or heavily modified for just the strip, and probably a bit more difficult to daily drive.

It doesn’t feel like a huge difference on launch. It makes it’s money never letting go after the launch. It’s a damn fast car, and it takes some hard pulls to really appreciate the work Dodge put into it to sell it as a daily driver street/strip car off the lot- not too many others you could swap rims and tires at the strip, run what it does with no other changes, and drive it back home after at that level of luxury.

That being said... I will continue to build until I toast them all with taillights

Cheers,

Chuck

2017 Pitch Black Scat Pack
Rohana RF2 staggered 20x9, 20x11
Nitto NT555R 305 rear, NT555 G2 Front 275
Kenne Bell 2.8LC stock pulley
Alky Control single progressive methanol injection
Trinity 2
Performance Development Differential Brace
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevetown View Post
Rode in a Hellcat for the first time - it was awesome. But it wasn't so fast that I was that impressed. Thinking I need to drive one to fully appreciate it. I then let the owner drive mine, he couldn't believe how fast it was - he was thoroughly impressed. I think he was more impressed with mine than I was with his.

Anyone else have this experience?? Or am I just looney and deraigned? Don't get me wrong, I'd take a Hellcat in a minute but I think I expected a little more that's all.

I was at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Conn. a few weeks ago.
Waited over an hour for a 30 second half sideways ride around a short track.
It was worth it.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 PM

I was listening to that Hellcat going through the gears. Couldn't help but notice that the first/second shift produced a very small drop in RPMs but the second/third shift DID. This reminds me of something I've wondered about for quite a while: why is it that gear ratios are never evenly spaced?
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:39 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownfeet462 View Post
I’ve been really fortunate here, in that joining the local SRT club has afforded me the chance to meet some really nice people, and swap opportunities to drive some cars.

Tires do make one heck of a difference, but one of the things that people also tend to ignore is the difference in gear ratios between the Scat and the Hellcat.

My Scat A8 has the 3.90 rear gears (stock), and was plenty fast with good tires on it. Adding the blower, it’s right on the edge of unusable at WOT off the line, and really needs to have the suspension redone in order to get more of the tire to the ground more of the time. Until that happens, it’s my suspicion that I’d be spending more of my time fighting it around the track than driving it. Similar power to the wheels as the new Alfa Romeo, but without the all-wheel drive and a little more weight.

The Hellcat has the 2.92 gears(?) in the auto- it’s not going to spin up as fast off the line as it would with a shorter first and second gear or final ratio. What should be telling, is that it still not only keeps up with the Scat, but keeps pulling better and harder through the rest. To me, that’s where the extra horsepower and torque really shines through- not so much on the launch, which is probably tamed over what running it with something like a 3.40 would feel like on slicks, much less a 3.90 or a 4.10.

If you’ve ever seen videos of classic vs. current muscle at the drag strip and thought “man, the old cars just launch so much harder,” remember that lots of those adjustments in tires, suspension, and gearing were done to match a lot of work to optimize them for just that event- and a Hellcat with drag radials and a competent driver will still take almost all of them that don’t run under 10.00 by the end of the quarter while being significantly heavier. The ones it doesn’t are going to be purpose modified to either run 10.00 bracket races and/or heavily modified for just the strip, and probably a bit more difficult to daily drive.

It doesn’t feel like a huge difference on launch. It makes it’s money never letting go after the launch. It’s a damn fast car, and it takes some hard pulls to really appreciate the work Dodge put into it to sell it as a daily driver street/strip car off the lot- not too many others you could swap rims and tires at the strip, run what it does with no other changes, and drive it back home after at that level of luxury.

That being said... I will continue to build until I toast them all with taillights

Cheers,

Chuck
I tell everyone that my 67 Chevelle SS with a done 454 M22 4 gear and 4:10 rear felt so much fast off the line. My Cat would blow the Chevelle away but if the SS didn’t have a headrest it felt like my head would be in the back seat.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 AM

Ive owned a 15 HC A8 and now have a 392 T/A M6. Driving a HC is a different experience than riding in one. HC is instant power all the time. Its a monster and even better with 305s on the back that dont just spin like the 275s. For a fun car, HC all day all the time. If cost is a concern and you are going to wear it out fast by driving it a billion miles, 392 is a better way to go Less maintenence lower repair costs and 2/3 the power, but still all the fun

2018 Billet Silver Challenger 392 T/A M6
Former: 2015 TorRed Challenger HELLCAT A8 #25 HC built
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 Mike View Post
As a relatively new Hellcat owner I can attest to this. Black key ECO is a piece of cake. Black key track or sport is fun and I have a pretty good handle on the car. Red Key 707 HP mode is like putting a tiger on a leash and walking it around the block. I am still trying to get a handle on all that power.

Clevetown, what driving mode was the car in when you rode in it? Was he using the black key?

2010 PCP Dodge Challenger RT Classic -TRADED
2014 Torred Dodge Challenger RT Shaker #1253 -GONE

2018 Torred SRT Challenger Hellcat
this should be it for a while...

"Beyond the Palace, Hemi powered drones scream down the boulevard......"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode