anyone who races some regret buying the m6 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
anyone who races some regret buying the m6

looking at used hellcats and manuals are plentiful but after having a m6 scat pack that I ran 1/4 mile with I think the a8 is going to be
a lot easier to race and quicker as well

New Ride
2019 Challenger Scat Pack A8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

old ride
2016 Scat Pack 6 speed
Hellcat air intake with aem dry filter
Hurst handle and ball kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:38 PM

I have a 2015 with the M6 transmission and a Barton shifter. I enjoy it --- most of the time. However, today's automatic transmissions are SO fast that there's no way a M6 can keep up.

Rollin Isbell

2015 SRT Challenger - B5 Blue, Sun Roof, M6, Barton Shifter, Mopar T/A CAI, Mopar Front Strut Brace
2017 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal, Sun Roof, A8, Mopar Running Boards, Mopar Bright Pedals
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM

I got a m6 for the full muscle car experience, anyone can smash the gas, it's the fun of dropping a gear on the Highway and feeling the g's. And I think it's more fun racing with a manual.

Barton shifter is on my wish list might get it this week they have 15% off lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DOM71 For This Useful Post:
trippytro (03-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 AM

Garage
What are your goals? I have a daily commute, and value performance, so the A8 was a given. It's a fantastic transmission.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hellcat
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
it would be a weekend driver with a good bit of test and tune fun, after reading about bearing problems on the sc may go back with a scat pack again since the used hc's will be out of warranty probably
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:05 AM

Ill tell you what, no regerts!

Seriously though, when you catch another driver cruising thats driving stick, its a way funner race. It becomes a drivers race. Ive taken out cars much faster then my R/T just because the other guy missed a shift or was too slow.

No doubt the autos are almost a second faster 0-60.

If you’re chasing time slips the auto makes sense, but the manual is just so satisfying after 3 years and 80K miles with a short shifter i cant say im not satisfied
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM

I run my manual often during season and sometimes hate it but most of the time I love it. Sometimes I beat a auto Hellcat with same mods (800HP wheel). Id like to have a auto widebody eventually.

2016 HellCat M6 (used)
Named Puss 'N' Boost
Barton shifter w/ SpeedDawg
DSS driveshaft
Bwoody Intake
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:44 PM

I really like my A8 but I wish they had put a little more thought into the paddle shifters.
They toggle vertically and I feel they should toggle horizontally and be about 8 or 9 inches long.
That may make the transmission a little more user friendly on a road course. I lose track of them during cornering maneuvers and this may just be a learning curve but I noticed a lot of other manufacturers have extended horizontally toggling paddles.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:25 PM

Garage
Love my M6, but I'm not a drag racer. For autocross and road course, or just general spirited driving, I like having direct manual control of the gears at all times. The TR-6060 takes anything you throw at it. No issues with getting too hot, even the factory clutch seems to last if you aren't overly abusive. Been flawless in both 6 speed Challengers I've owned. The odd time I've gone to the drag strip, still had a fun time.

But If I was at a drag strip primarily, I'd probably go automatic. It's just ideal for that sort of thing. If I were to get another Challenger (Not that I plan on it at this time), the 8 speed would be a serious consideration. If the right car came along that happened to be so equipped, I'd go for it. Honestly I can't imagine having regret either way.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Truly, at the drags , I put the transmission in track and just mash the throttle so it takes a lot of the driver effort and skill out of the equation. But on a road course, keeping the r's at the right level and the vehicle angle correct is more difficult with an extra pedal.
Being able to keep both hands on the wheel and have one less pedal to deal with surely creates faster lap times but may not contribute to a more enjoyable driving experience.
I gotta say, while trying to hold my groceries on the passenger seat and maneuver some corners at high speeds I really would have liked both hands on the wheel today!
I really have to figure out a grocery box for the floor behind the passenger seat!

Last edited by Decay; 03-15-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode