Considering trading in scat pack for hellcat. - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If one is looking for a used hellcat what years had the blower bearing problem- I read where blowers was being replaced by factory for issues, I would like to avoid those models years. Seen a few for 49K used and thought about trading my SRT 392 for one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Challenger SXT 3.6, new 1/31/13, Sprintex S/C 60mm pulley,15lbs boost,BT catch can,180*stat,ported lower intake and TB,custom head tubes,mid pipes/stock cats,Corsa 2 3/4"catback,Htuner TCM,3.90 gear,[email protected] 1.7860ft 2980ft DA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:04 PM

I went the other way, but not really by choice. Long story but 15 A8 HC to 18 M6 392 T/A

Hellcat did ruin me for every other car and almost instantly regretted selling it.
Aside from the suspension, the TA sort of like driving the cat with the black key and like 70% of the fun.
ZERO chance Id mod a scat vs buying a HC. HC is more than a motor., its a package that works together. and it works well.

2018 Billet Silver Challenger 392 T/A M6
Former: 2015 TorRed Challenger HELLCAT A8 #25 HC built
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeennis View Post
If one is looking for a used hellcat what years had the blower bearing problem- I read where blowers was being replaced by factory for issues, I would like to avoid those models years. Seen a few for 49K used and thought about trading my SRT 392 for one.

from this thread looks like 15 16 17

https://www.hellcat.org/threads/how-....53537/page-18

New Ride
2019 Challenger Scat Pack A8

old ride
2016 Scat Pack 6 speed
Hellcat air intake with aem dry filter
Hurst handle and ball kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmastr View Post
Well like the topic says I am considering making a trade up. I am kicking around 2 options of either putting a whipple on the scat or trading into a hellcat. When I consider it, it seems like just trading into a hellcat would be a better decision as its factory setup with the supercharger. I guess my question here is about a year ago it seemed really easy to get a great deal on a hellcat. Is that still true today. I was seeing guys walking off the lot with brand new 2016 models in 2017 for huge discounts. Has that ship sailed? Any buying advice would be appreciated.
IMO, I'd stick to a Scat Pack or T/A 392. I'm not sure a Hellcat is worth the price. The 2019 Scat Packs, although they still have the 392, now have some Hellcat and Demon attributes that certainly enhance its performance. With a Hellcat, you're looking at 13-14 mpg in town and hopefully you won't have to replace the front rotors in the near future. They're expensive. I have to admit, though, if I had the money just laying around in the bank, I'd probably get one, nevertheless, I'm really happy with my PCP Scat Pack!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	681.6 KB
ID:	941457  

“People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” Eric Arthur Blair.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM

I did the trade from Scat Pack to Hellcat. But the timing was perfect. The dealer had a large inventory of 16s, 17s and 18s were on the way. Dealer was very motivated to upgrade me. Great price on the Hellcat and an amazing trade in on my Scat Pack. For me it was worth it. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Scat Pack.

It really is a personal choice.

Several factors to consider.

I also was looking at adding a supercharger to my Scat Pack. By the time you add supercharger, and other engine upgrades the price is getting up there. Plus the auto tranny is stronger in the Hellcat.

Insurance -- for me it was less than $100 extra per year to upgrade to Hellcat.

Drive-ability -- Hellcat in economy mode is easier to drive in traffic than Scat Pack. Throttle response is subdued, early auto shifts. I get better mpg in town with my Hellcat (~17MPG) than Scat Pack (~15MPG). I know this can be activated via Tazer on Scat Pack, I didn't have that though.
And if you need more power, it is only a double tap of a switch away -- and full power is there.

That supercharger whine is addicting!

Brakes are less of an issue now. There is aftermarket support. Expensive yes, but C'mon you are looking at a Hellcat, not an economy car.
By the way, the 6 piston Brembos are amazing. I have over 15k miles on my car, and still plenty of pad left on original pads. Brake dust is bad. But with this much power, you need really really good brakes.

Good luck!

2016 Challenger Hellcat Granite Pearl 8-speed
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker Billet Clear 8-speed -- SOLD
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM

If you can do the work yourself would be saving a pretty penny. I’d trade it in so it comes with the power already and don’t have to worry about parts breaking when hitting power thresholds.

With the charger Widebody coming out there’s going to be more challenger HC at dealers too i think

If it has tits or tires I'll give you trouble.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 PM

Garage
After 6 months of owning my 2016 scatpack, i moved up to a 2016 HellCat. It just made more sense to me to go that route. Horsepower is expensive and i wanted what i felt was better longevity with a factory setup vs what i would put into a scat.

Bone Stock......so far
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:33 PM

I'm mulling it over... I ordered a 2019 WBSP in Indigo Blue, its still not in yet .... it would be a 25K difference... I just don't think I need more than 485hp just to on the Long Island Expressway in traffic going nowhere
The Following User Says Thank You to dbintegrity For This Useful Post:
Scatpacksam (06-07-2019)
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
I'm mulling it over... I ordered a 2019 WBSP in Indigo Blue, its still not in yet .... it would be a 25K difference... I just don't think I need more than 485hp just to on the Long Island Expressway in traffic going nowhere
Same here. My Scat Pack Wide Body has more than enough horsepower for me too. The Hellcat will be useless to use on the highway up here in New England. Especially during the winter time in the snow and ice. The Scat Pack Wide Body is the Goldilocks of the entire Challenger line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in