'Cuda vs Hellcat Sound Wars - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
A Guy, yer brilliant. I didn't know that Youtube video existed. It is a clip from the actual show that I watched. Surprise, surprise. However, I still can't tell if the older Challenger had headers on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
A Guy, yer brilliant. I didn't know that Youtube video existed. It is a clip from the actual show that I watched. Surprise, surprise. However, I still can't tell if the older Challenger had headers on it.
It does.....no doubt about it. That sound doesn't happen with cast manifolds. The material so heavy and resrictive of flow won't let you get to "that sound"......that's open headers for sure.

If that's not enough "proof" for you, still too much "opinion".

How about some COMMON SENSE?

Who builds a stroker this serious out of a 340 and then CORKS IT UP to limit potential power with the stock exhaust manifolds?

Don't answer that last question.....it was completely rhetorical!
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 AM

Garage
Here’s a screenshot from the video of the Cuda where you can clearly see the collector from the long tube headers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	903C206D-D00E-48C1-B998-E7FE78809E88_1528728227812.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	921001  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiuscorpus View Post
Here’s a screenshot from the video of the Cuda where you can clearly see the collector from the long tube headers.
Mobious: youdaman. Between TA392's good ears and great logic, and your keen eye, we have sorted out one part of the difference between these two exhausts.

No place like this place !!!!
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Garage
I do what I can... 😉
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
These days chambered mufflers are the way to go.......better on all levels and just as loud when you "stand on it".

Cherry Bombs are a nostalgic name from the past but Glass packs in general are THE WORST.....poorly designed mufflers you pay dearly for with HP loss. They have no place on any car today. New or Old.

How are glasspacks bad for performance? If you run ones without a reduced diameter inner core they will flow as well as anything out there.

Here's a '68 B-Fish with my chambered mufflers - how does this sound?

https://youtu.be/PdW5Vy1Dtv4

• 2016 Scat Pack Shaker PCP
  • AAR Cuda from NM.
  • '72 Cuda 340 w/Factory Sunroof. AZ. survivor car.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM

While on the subject of Hellcat exhaust I'll share this with you. I met a customer last week at Lingenfelter with a 2015 Hellcat bumped to 780 HP. He was still running the stock exhaust - though it was replaced already. He had blown-out the guts of the catalytic converters - the bricks broke-up & jammed into the rear mufflers, so they had to remove everything. So the cats are gutted now & dummy sensors installed, the mid-resonators (4" round units) had to be replaced because the rear heads split open. The exhaust is not beefy enough for these cars! I would bet Walker is OE on them. There are going to be some exhaust replacements on Hellcats under warranty. BTW, this car was WAY too loud for the owner & it just did not sound good. The factory setup if it is still all together sounds fine, but punch out the cats & things changed a ton.

I'm building 4 mufflers for this car (20" in the mid & 12" at the rear) & I think they will take care of the issues. They WILL hold-up for sure!
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
Listening to that 340 on that show was indeed music: what a symphony. That Hellcat could certainly annihilate the old Cuda in the quarter, but if all we had to go by was their sound as they sat in the driveway that day, there was no comparison. They sounded as different as night and day: the Cuda was the KING.

Well if you'd put that thing that's on top of that Hellcat engine on top of that stroked 340.

And you built that 340 to handle that thing... I'd bet that Cuda would keep up or probably beat that Hellcat.
Those old engines were pretty tough units.

The bottom end of the old Big Blocks were a lot beefier than any of the new small block Hemi's.

I have proof about my 440's bottom end.
Like a Rock... no pansy Chevit stuff there.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Let's push the reset button here. As per usual on the forum, we routinely digress. Not that I'm complaining, I do it too. But my original question was why does old school sound so much better than new school?
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,428 Times in 2,622 Posts
Garage
I'll throw some thoughts out there.

Catalytic Converters?

Firing Order?

Cam lobe types/roller lifters/overlap and duration?

Exhaust port location and shape?

Exhaust material/placement/X Pipe vs H pipe?

Fuel injection vs Carbureted?

Computer management?

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode