Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hellcat kills thread (post your stories here)

13K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Sammy123 
#1 ·
Since Sammy123's thread got closed to due to unruly behavior :2232censored: I thought we could try it again...... 0:)

#2 ·
So, going home the other day in rush hour and this Toyota 4runner works his way up to get beside me. I figure he is just trying to get a close look but after he gets alongside of me he proceeds to hit the gas to egg me on - he looks stock but I can tell he is not from his takeoff. Not biting, he does 2 more times - rush hour and nowhere to go, so still not biting so he goes his own way. Then yesterday I see him again in a non congested area, he obviously sees me also because he works his way over to pull up alongside. Since we had some clear room to play a little bit I figured what the hay, so I let him lineup and wait for him to take off. Sure enough after lining up he punches it so I respond buy down shifting 5th (we were doing about 75 at takeoff) and taking off. Surprisingly enough he stayed with me for a little bit but after hitting 100 really dropped off pretty fast. I tried to let him catch up buy pulling over to the slow lane to find out they d (supercharged, turbo, etc) but he wouldn't pull along side and just purposely stayed back.

#3 ·
I was out testing my car tonight with my new Nitto 555R drag radials. Some Evo spotted me testing my car. Seemed very confident and challenged me to a race, sounded like he a bit of mods but didn't ask. We lined up from a stop, and of course he decided to go first while I sat there like an idiot. Hit it myself, and while his AWD gave him a hole shot, I immediately reeled him like a fish and left him embarassingly behind by bus lengths. I shut down at around 120mph. Not sure what he was thinking, must have thought I had a 392 instead of a Hellcat.

#4 ·
Hellcat rules! Here is some legal footage showing what I mean. This is on OEM wheels and tires. Next year....more rubber!
Early in the video it starts on the 1/2 mile quickest concrete on earth at BIR, we share the dragstrip with the long course configuration. Turn one and two are entered at about 100 or 100 plus in turn one on subsequent laps. An instructor told me he drove a Hellcat at 130-140 INTO turn #1 last month! Hellcat ran back to back 1:56 second laps following the Vette later in clean running. Lots of simulated 60-150+ races down the straight and various other passes to demonstrate these cars are quick. My fastest speed Monday 162, only bettered by a twin turbo new Ferarri California T at 164 mph. Enjoy Mopar lovers!

https://youtu.be/8Ymo1x-TS_M

#5 ·
Keep your eyes peeled. A gray Challenger SRT is on the road, I give my Mopar brother lots of a head start then watch the Cat reel him in with our 200 more HP later down the strip.

#6 ·
Raced my finance manager today, who put together my Hellcat finance package when I bought it from them last month. He owns a white Charger Scat Pack, so this is a cannibal kill story.

His: 2015 Charger Scat pack, diablo tune, 100 shot nitrous, drag radials (NT555Rs)

Me: 2015 Charger Hellcat, stock except for drag radials (also NT555Rs)

We went on a 2 lane highway, did 4 pulls from around 40mph. Couldnt go any slower because traffic behind us was getting pissed :D Waited until the front was clear

All runs were nearly identical.

He got the jump in front each time (he started in manual mode at high rpm each time, I just mashed the pedal and go in track mode). In all cases I went from slowly reeling him in to briskly passing him by. The higher the speed the more I was pulling on him. I shut down around 140mph with him several cars behind.

He was on race gas too, though he said he could go up to a 175 shot if he wanted to. He suggested I do what he did, start in manual mode to go down to a lower gear and then go WOT, letting the computer shift on its own. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but whenever I do that I get fuel cut off.

#8 ·
He suggested I do what he did, start in manual mode to go down to a lower gear and then go WOT, letting the computer shift on its own. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but whenever I do that I get fuel cut off.
I think if you are in drive and you grab the left paddle it will downshift and put the car in temporary manual mode and keep downshifting to get the rpm up high and then stomp on it. I think it will shift at redline in temporary manual mode.

Basically you have to keep pulling the left paddle until it tells you shift not allowed and that will put you at the highest rpm possible for the road speed then stomp it.

#7 ·
The kills just keep on coming.

Raced an STI twice today, from a roll and a dig (stoplight).

STI: Test pipe, exhaust, tune (his own words)
Me: Stock except DRs

1st run @ 15mph roll: despite his AWD I immediately lurched forward and proceeded to leave him bus lengths behind

2nd run from a dig. There was an uphill turn up ahead so this was going to be short. I told him to go first. He hit it, lurched in front as expected, I launched like a half second after him. Immediately started to reel him in big time but we came on the uphill turn, had to slow down. I was right by his side and passing at that point though I left off quickly. Very short race. Talked a bit and he thought I had a scat pack. :D Turned our separate ways after.

Really, these are races more appropriate for my previous Challenger SRT. Waiting for that magic moment to run into an BMW M5/6 or Audi RS7.

#11 ·
Really, these are races more appropriate for my previous Challenger SRT. Waiting for that magic moment to run into an BMW M5/6 or Audi RS7.
The RS7 will give you a decent run but you will win if you can drive. I raced one from 60-120 and put a half car on him. Nice kill on the modded rice!

#10 ·
Had a fun little run the other day, was on the freeway cruising at 75 when I see a Porsche 911 and a stingray Vette coming up behind me. It was early Saturday afternoon but I decided to stay calm and just let them pass. That lasted until the Vette got on my left rear and the Porsche on the right they decided to FLOOR it and buzzed me as they passed. At this point I am in "oh hell no!" mode so I proceeded to catch up fairly quickly as it appeared they had let off the gas and were slowing back down. Once I caught up the Porsche decided he wanted to show me how fast he was (Vette decided not to join) but as we took off I immediately got in front of him and I could see him falling behind. We both happened to need the one lane transition to another freeway at this point and have merged into the same lane on the far right side when I guess he decides he embarrassed himself enough because he hit the brakes hard and purposely fell WAY WAY behind ( I had slowed down to let him catch up to give him a thumbs up) and would not come near me again. Love shocking people with just how fast this car is..:thanks:

#13 ·
I have found that if you hold the left paddle shifter down it continues to downshift (usually from 8th to 4th or 5th depending on what speed I am doing on the freeway). Only takes holding it in for approx. a full second for this to happen.
[/QUOTE]

That is great, I need to try it. This might be a dumb question, but is it quicker that way as opposed to just mashing the gas pedal and letting the automatic find the correct lower gear?

#15 · (Edited)
I have found that if you hold the left paddle shifter down it continues to downshift (usually from 8th to 4th or 5th depending on what speed I am doing on the freeway). Only takes holding it in for approx. a full second for this to happen.:deal:
That is great, I need to try it. This might be a dumb question, but is it quicker that way as opposed to just mashing the gas pedal and letting the automatic find the correct lower gear?[/QUOTE]

In my experience you don't always get the lowest gear available my just mashing the gas. Holding the paddle shifter will make the tranny find any gear that isn't already redlined...however sometimes there's only 500 rpms left in a gear which means it's a very quick blip, but it's the fastest way to accelerate from a roll IMO.

#16 ·
Yes, I've noticed that when mashing the pedal even in track mode the transmission wants to start the pull at 4000rpms in some speeds. With the old A5 NAG transmission, this was the infamous "dead spots" at around 40mph and 70mph (I think).

The A8 is supposed to eliminate the dead spots but there's still speeds where it will not downshift optimally, and you lose the "jump". This happened in both of my races against the Scat Pack and STI rolling starts, though 700hp makes up that ground rather quick. Still, I don't want any delay, they need to be beat as BAD as possible lol.

#17 · (Edited)
Ran against a very formidable Toyota Supra (MKIV) today. From the shop Titan Motorsports. Did two pulls, the first being a feeler pull where I immediately put a few cars and stayed there, though this was a short race starting from around 40mph.

2nd pull was from a low roll (20 mph). Immediately put several car lengths and kept pulling until about 100mph, where he started to creep back up but it wasn't enough. Shut down at around 120mph due to traffic. Was still about 2 cars ahead when we shut down but the gap was closing.

No idea of mods other than typical big turbo talk, but I'll find out soon enough as I told them I think I earned a free baseline dyno pull LOL.

Edit: It was a MKIV

#19 ·
I agree, smashing the throttle with a Hellcat OFTEN results in either wheelspin or a strange quick snap into lower gear, then followed by even stranger computer intervention. Like on the road course, this machine requires a rather slow initial application of throttle until you are good and hooked, then....see ya! Agree, get it manually into the right gear/RPM for at speed pulls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.