Hellcat kills thread (post your stories here) - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 06:54 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy123 View Post
Really, these are races more appropriate for my previous Challenger SRT. Waiting for that magic moment to run into an BMW M5/6 or Audi RS7.
The RS7 will give you a decent run but you will win if you can drive. I raced one from 60-120 and put a half car on him. Nice kill on the modded rice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

D1SC Procharger 7psi
Procharger Red Race BOV
Procharger Race FMIC
API Competition fuel pump 400lph
Siemens 840 cc/min, 80 lbs/hr Fuel Injectors @43.5
Fore Inovations fuel rails
Jet 180 T-stat
NGK Iridium IX LTR6IX-11 Spark Plugs
Solo Mach-X with J-pipes
JBA catless midpipes
AEM water/meth kit
BT oil catch can
Innovate Motorsports LC-2 Wide band O2
Diablo Trinity Johan tuned
Nitto 555r 305/35/20
600rwhp 558rwtq
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Thanked 1,119 Times in 804 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrcr View Post
I think if you are in drive and you grab the left paddle it will downshift and put the car in temporary manual mode and keep downshifting to get the rpm up high and then stomp on it. I think it will shift at redline in temporary manual mode.

Basically you have to keep pulling the left paddle until it tells you shift not allowed and that will put you at the highest rpm possible for the road speed then stomp it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboar View Post

I have found that if you hold the left paddle shifter down it continues to downshift (usually from 8th to 4th or 5th depending on what speed I am doing on the freeway). Only takes holding it in for approx. a full second for this to happen.
Yes this is a fun way to play with the A8 and is perfect for roll racing. Holding the left paddle down will force it into the lowest available gear, and then you can confidently mash the gas knowing it will upshift for you right at redline! SEE YA!!! I can only imagine how fun that is with a Hellcat!

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 AM

I have found that if you hold the left paddle shifter down it continues to downshift (usually from 8th to 4th or 5th depending on what speed I am doing on the freeway). Only takes holding it in for approx. a full second for this to happen.[/QUOTE]

That is great, I need to try it. This might be a dumb question, but is it quicker that way as opposed to just mashing the gas pedal and letting the automatic find the correct lower gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:33 AM

Thanks, I'll try that today on the way home on a nice stretch of road. Maybe someone will see me and bite

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:43 AM

Thanked 1,119 Times in 804 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck2355 View Post
I have found that if you hold the left paddle shifter down it continues to downshift (usually from 8th to 4th or 5th depending on what speed I am doing on the freeway). Only takes holding it in for approx. a full second for this to happen.
That is great, I need to try it. This might be a dumb question, but is it quicker that way as opposed to just mashing the gas pedal and letting the automatic find the correct lower gear?[/QUOTE]

In my experience you don't always get the lowest gear available my just mashing the gas. Holding the paddle shifter will make the tranny find any gear that isn't already redlined...however sometimes there's only 500 rpms left in a gear which means it's a very quick blip, but it's the fastest way to accelerate from a roll IMO.

Last edited by EricG; 10-26-2016 at 09:37 AM.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:59 AM

Yes, I've noticed that when mashing the pedal even in track mode the transmission wants to start the pull at 4000rpms in some speeds. With the old A5 NAG transmission, this was the infamous "dead spots" at around 40mph and 70mph (I think).

The A8 is supposed to eliminate the dead spots but there's still speeds where it will not downshift optimally, and you lose the "jump". This happened in both of my races against the Scat Pack and STI rolling starts, though 700hp makes up that ground rather quick. Still, I don't want any delay, they need to be beat as BAD as possible lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammy123 For This Useful Post:
EricG (10-14-2016), Rob B (12-18-2016)
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Ran against a very formidable Toyota Supra (MKIV) today. From the shop Titan Motorsports. Did two pulls, the first being a feeler pull where I immediately put a few cars and stayed there, though this was a short race starting from around 40mph.

2nd pull was from a low roll (20 mph). Immediately put several car lengths and kept pulling until about 100mph, where he started to creep back up but it wasn't enough. Shut down at around 120mph due to traffic. Was still about 2 cars ahead when we shut down but the gap was closing.

No idea of mods other than typical big turbo talk, but I'll find out soon enough as I told them I think I earned a free baseline dyno pull LOL.

Edit: It was a MKIV

Last edited by Sammy123; 10-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
That is great, I need to try it. This might be a dumb question, but is it quicker that way as opposed to just mashing the gas pedal and letting the automatic find the correct lower gear?
In my experience you don't always get the lowest gear available my just mashing the gas. Holding the paddle shifter will make find any gear that isn't already redlined...however sometimes there's only 500 rpms left in a gear which means it's a very quick blip, but it's the fastest way to accelerate from a roll IMO.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the paddle shifter downshift vs full auto and mashing the pedal, for me it seems that it is a smoother and a more planted take off and I get to control when and if it shifts for more control of the car when using that much power. In full auto and mashing the gas pedal just results in a lot of noise and my rear end shifting left and right before actually taking off (due to spinning, even at freeway speeds) even with 315's in the rear. The more I use the paddle shifters the more I like them and the finer control of the car it gives me.

2016 Pitch Black Challenger Hellcat
2018 392 Daytona Charger
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:25 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I agree, smashing the throttle with a Hellcat OFTEN results in either wheelspin or a strange quick snap into lower gear, then followed by even stranger computer intervention. Like on the road course, this machine requires a rather slow initial application of throttle until you are good and hooked, then....see ya! Agree, get it manually into the right gear/RPM for at speed pulls.

2019 Challenger Redeye
2015 Challenger Hellcat Sold
2006 300C SRT-8 - Sold

Hellcat Club - President; Midwest Region
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:23 PM

Not really a legit kill, just put a stop to a ****** M3 driver dodging in and out of traffic to catch up to me, only to try to do a ricer flyby. Got it on video.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy123 For This Useful Post:
DGatzby (11-14-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode