Hellcat or Redeye - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you have to ask this question. You probably shouldn't buy either car yet.

It seems clear that you haven't really thought hard enough about what you want in your new car and where the priorities for YOU will be found in each available model.

I can't speak to what the "correct choice" is for the OP......but if it were me?

If my goal was the ultimate Challenger available for the bragging rights I'd almost certainly pick the Red Eye. Also if I saw myself at the drag strip more than just a few weekends each summer.....again it's the Red Eye.

The Standard Hell Cat is more power than street tires can handle but for the guy who wants the ULTIMATE Challenger and is willing to pay more than I think a Challenger is ever worth vs better choices else where.......The Red Eye is the NEW Top Dog. You don't get those bragging rights or Top Dog Status with a standard issue Hell Cat anymore.

I see my car as a CAR for the street. I don't see it as a Drag Racer or something that suggests anything about my status or bragging rights.....(I really like my Challenger but it is a Dodge not a Ferrari)...... so the Red Eye isn't a car I'd likely ever buy..... but I do understand some people want their bragging rights even if it is just among their fellow Dodge enthusiasts and today you gotta have that little angry cat emblem with the red eye or you come up "short".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano379 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies.
However, no one answered the question of 1/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile. How far ahead is the quicker car?
Probably more than "how much quicker" you should be asking:

What do I get for the extra cash spent that makes the Red Eye more consistent and less likely to BREAK?

I'm not sure how much Demon Content the Red Eye gets vs the 717HP Hell Cat......... but for the extra cash you do get some Demon pieces I'd expect might be worth it........or maybe not because you may not see enough benefit for your intended use for the car after you take it home.

797HP vs 717HP isn't going to make a whole lot of difference on the Street.......NOBODY makes a street tire that can contain either power level from a standing start. But at the Drag Strip ......... where is the difference and is it worth the extra dollars spent.

If you're TRULY looking for Bang For the Buck and NOT Bragging Rights........ you probably want specific answers that are out there in a detailed break down of what a Red Eye "gets" from the Demon that a standard Hell Cat doesn't.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 AM

Ok sorry not have a second 0.3 whatever real world i just rounded up to half a second

But the second you put real slicks on the hellcat you close the gap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytro View Post
But the second you put real slicks on the hellcat you close the gap

Exactly! On my 2016 Hellcat, with standard tires, the traction was so bad I refused to take the car to the strip. Enter 305/20 Mickey ET street SS tires on replica rims and on one day with great weather I was able to make several 10.76-10.79 passes, totally bone stock except for the drag radials.

The same thing goes for my Red Eye. I will mount 305/17 Mickey ET street SS (my next purchase will be Mickey ET street R's) and see what happens.

2019 Challenger Hellcat Red Eye
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 AM

You are getting hung up on the ET; look at the trap speed difference(127 vs 131mph) between regular Hellcat and Red Eye; that says a lot. The extra power is going to come in after 60 mph. Traction is the main factor for ET. If that is equal between the cars you will see more than .1 difference. I would say more on the order of .3/.4. That being said on the street with the power these cars are making you aren't going to see a big difference because there are few places you could safely take them to higher speeds. I bought a Wide Body Red Eye for it's top dog status(at least for now anyway) and to use at the track for some fun now and then. I also have a '71 440 6 pack car and it is neat to have the 2. Money is also a deciding factor. For me I figured I was already spending over 70K so I got exactly what I wanted but I happened to be in a situation where I could afford it. I have had a few Challengers; started with a 2013 RT 6 spd and moved to a 2016 Scat Pack 8 spd now at the 2019 Red Eye. The Red Eye definitely does it for me so even if a higher HP car comes out I am completely happy with this car, no plans to upgrade any further. Whatever you decide make sure it's what you really want or you will "what if" yourself later; that is the only wrong choice as the cars are all nice.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 PM

I agree with @1971Chall as trap speed ultimately will show what HP difference is gains/loss ect. I have ran my tube chassis '70 R/T since 2003 and have had three different motors in and out of it and different variations of those motors at the end of the day with a car like mine I can see the 60' change very little were as the mph gain can be significant my 650 hp motor is good for 9.60's at 138, drop my 800 hp motor in and same wind conditions I am 9.0's at 148 and 60 foot is 1.27-28 with smaller motor and 1.22 or .23 with big, on occasion if I do experience spin and that 1.23 60' goes to 1.27 and ET follows with .15 slow the mph is still there never more than 1/2 mile off given same wind conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150815_193037729_HDR1_zpsqwtyxw9n.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	937399   Click image for larger version

Name:	18766120_10209506172153931_8391570999855832177_n.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	937401  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Only because, in my opinion, this is the most BADASS looking production car EVER!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode