Hypothetical Value Question - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
I would advise you and your wife to test drive a 392 Scatpack. You'll find that its 485 hp. is more than enough power for you. It will be nothing like the cars you have previously owned.

When I bought my 2011 Challenger SRT 392, I thought it is as powerful, or more so, as any of my 60s Mopars, so it will be enough.

NOT, I now have a Hellcat on order.

You can't have too much power.
The Following User Says Thank You to deano379 For This Useful Post:
Finface (02-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,729 Times in 2,820 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had a 1995 Grand Prix, 160HP. When I got my SXT Plus, what a difference! 305 HP

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
Finface (02-10-2019)
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:13 AM

I patiently waited to order a new 1320 after the reveal last August and when the order info was available I went over every detail to order the perfect car. I also cringed at the idea of ordering it and see them being sold for $15 to $20k + less in 2 years like you see the Scat's now, then entered the thought of a used Hellcat that could be bought for the same money or even less than that new 1320. It so happens the dealer I planned on ordering through took in this 2016 Hellcat with 15 months of bumper to bumper left and 3.5 years of powertrain warranty left so we ended up putting it in our garage and could not be happier. Good luck with your decision.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Richards 768Q For This Useful Post:
Finface (02-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Garage
Don't get me started on distracted driving. My Boxster was hit two times, from behind, while at a stop light, both times by drivers (one a woman the other a man) each on their damned cell phone. The guy was texting like a school girl. I could have ***** slapped him silly. Then my 4 week old Cayman S was hit and totaled by a woman on a cell phone who missed her turn and lost control of her car -- it was on bald tires, too -- in the rain and smashed into the side of my new car.

Used to be a "close" call was rare. Nowadays I have a close call at least once a day and sometimes more often on my 30 mile work commute. It is insane how people drive and whenever I can get a look at the driver almost always he/she is on a cell phone.

Reminds me: Driving by the local police station some time back and a police cruiser pulled right out in front of me. I had to brake to avoid a collision. Woman officer on her cell phone gave me a half ass wave of apology. Geesh.

And pedestrians... Oh my. I hate driving through town now. People just step off the curb right in front of my car even though the light is with me and not the pedestrian. Sometimes they are on the cell phone other times I think they do it in purpose as some kind of inner city lottery thing. Get hit and sue.

The Red Eye and Hellcat should hold their value as well as the Scat Pack, on a percentage basis. Assume all 3 follow the "general" depreciation curve which is 10% depreciation from the dealer's price the minute the new car is driven off the lot then 10% every year when the new models come out.

All three cars then depreciate at the same rate, but of course, since they didn't all cost the same the actual dollar amount of depreciation is different.

Scant Pack dealer cost (the following are just numbers to make a point): $35,000; Hellcat dealer cost: $60,000; RE dealer cost: $70,000.

The Scat Pack loses $3500 the minute you drive it off the lot. The Hellcat loses $6000, and the RE loses $7000. And every year after all 3 cars depreciate 10% more and well, you can see the Scat Pack depreciates less in terms of dollars than the other two cars.

I really don't worry about a car holding its value. Unless the car turns out to be a Vega or something similar (and I am I think a good enough car shopper to avoid buying something like a Vega) the car's value will probably not tank. My financial situation is not that sensitive that a few extra dollars of car depreciation can affect how well, or not, I live.

So I focus on getting a car I want and for a price I believe is market. I then treat the car in a way that I believe will help it deliver a long and trouble free service life. Also, I save the service records so if I do decide to sell the car rather than hang on to it forever I can use the service records to show the car received good servicing and its current condition is not the result of smoke and mirrors but reflects the actual condition of the car.

In the meantime I enjoy the car.

You and your wife have to decide what car is right for your situation. Of the 3 cars: Scat Pack, Hellcat, RE; the Scat Pack is the more sensible car in that it costs less to buy and stands to lose less to depreciation which is the biggest expense of owning a car.

But the Scat Pack would not be a boring car to own/drive. I moved from a Porsche 996 Turbo to a Scat Pack and while the two cars were in many ways quite different the Scat Pack was quite enjoyable and I didn't feel any real sense of loss in moving from the Turbo to the Scat Pack. After the less than $100 oil change for the Scat Pack (compared to the hundreds of dollars I had been paying for the Turbo's oil change) in some way I felt I had gained something in moving from the Turbo to the Scat Pack. (After a year I can tell you my bank balance certainly has gained something.)

The other two cars are of course insane for obvious reasons. This doesn't make them a bad choice or the wrong choice.

Of course the choice of which car to buy is up to the two of you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
Finface (02-10-2019), FreddyG (02-11-2019)
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Rockster,

Again some great comments and perspective - thank you.

I'm seeing the same asinine and dangerous driving practices by people texting or clumsily using their cell phones. It's really scary how people wander all over the road, crossing the center line sometimes.

I have resolved to equip my future Challenger with front and rear cameras. My cousin did this years ago to his Miata and recorded someone rear ending him while stopped at a red light. Can anyone say social media and the Fear Of Missing Out (FOMA) psychological sense that leads to not being able to lay the phone down and get back to it at a safe time is a plague. I'm raising my hand here.

The 10% rule of thumb for depreciation was new information for me.

Bottom line, as everyone has said, is buy the car you really feel you want.

For deano379 and others who have commented on HP...I'm abandoned the thought of tracking the car I buy. I will enjoy the posts vicariously of those who do! So my car will be a Sunday fair weather local driver. What is it about having more horsepower - the jump from 385 to 485 and in your case up to 700 plus HP - that makes driving the car more fun? Is it the sense that there is just so much more in reserve? The quicker, smoother acceleration up to the speed limit. I hear this from video reviewers too.

Best,

Finface
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finface View Post
Rockster,

Again some great comments and perspective - thank you.

I'm seeing the same asinine and dangerous driving practices by people texting or clumsily using their cell phones. It's really scary how people wander all over the road, crossing the center line sometimes.

I have resolved to equip my future Challenger with front and rear cameras. My cousin did this years ago to his Miata and recorded someone rear ending him while stopped at a red light. Can anyone say social media and the Fear Of Missing Out (FOMA) psychological sense that leads to not being able to lay the phone down and get back to it at a safe time is a plague. I'm raising my hand here.

The 10% rule of thumb for depreciation was new information for me.

Bottom line, as everyone has said, is buy the car you really feel you want.

For deano379 and others who have commented on HP...I'm abandoned the thought of tracking the car I buy. I will enjoy the posts vicariously of those who do! So my car will be a Sunday fair weather local driver. What is it about having more horsepower - the jump from 385 to 485 and in your case up to 700 plus HP - that makes driving the car more fun? Is it the sense that there is just so much more in reserve? The quicker, smoother acceleration up to the speed limit. I hear this from video reviewers too.

Best,

Finface

For me the jump from 420hp (Turbo) to 485hp (Scat Pack) was a bit of a toss up though maybe the Scat Pack was kind of the winner, so to speak. The Turbo weighed in at around 3400lbs vs. 4000lbs+ for the Scat Pack but the A8 in the Scat Pack shifted lots quicker than the manual in the Turbo.

The jump from 485hp to 707hp when moving from the Scat Pack to the Hellcat was really eye opening.

Now I have to add that when exhibiting the proper restraint the difference in acceleration between various cars from my recent experience: 217hp Boxster, 420hp Turbo, 485hp Scat Pack, 228hp JCW, and 707hp Hellcat; is they are about the same. They are the same because my right foot sees to this.

But those times when conditions permit and I can use more throttle the speed at which the Hellcat gains speed is amazing. In a video of a guy driving a Hellcat he got on the car and of course it did what Hellcat's do. A big grin appeared on his face as the car accelerated. After a bit he lifted and chuckled and commented "That's never going to get old."

And he's right.

Given various circumstances where I live and drive I drive with the proper caution given how traffic is, how the law frowns on any exhibition of speed (if only they frowned upon other infractions by the same amount driving would be lots better here), but once in a while for a bit of time I can unleash more of the Hellcat's 707hp and my reaction is the same. A big grin and a chuckle and the feeling is that never gets old. It is as good this time as it was the first time.

Dash cam: I have a Thinkware F800 dash cam in my Hellcat. I didn't get the rear camera setup but a co-worker has it in his Mini and he swears by it. The front camera is very nice. I may one of these days when I have the time get the rear view camera installed in the car.

I have a 2nd camera to install my my JCW when I get around to it. For this install I might let a shop install the camera along with the rear view camera. The camera can be connected to battery power directly so the camera is "on" (active at any rate) all the time and can detect vandalism, hit and run, or just record who or what was around the vehicle while one is away. The camera can be configured to switch off if battery power gets too low to prevent the camera killing the battery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (02-10-2019), Finface (03-08-2019)
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:02 PM

My 2 cents if you have the financial availability go big or go home 😎

If you love speed your going to want more and all I've seen is ppl go for a hellcat after the sp.

Told my wife just last night I want a demon lol but in my world it isnt possible so I have a sp. But told her I'll get me a faster one later 🤣

Have a buddy fixing up a 86 stang with a small turbo, he likes my car but he's set on build vs bought so it's still up in the air who's going to be faster lol
The Following User Says Thank You to DOM71 For This Useful Post:
Finface (02-15-2019)
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM

Buy a old Muscle car if you do not want to lose money Of course it has to be numbers matching paint code correct and car that has been restored or a original time capsule.Pick the one you like and go hit the auction's. No warranty and the gas issue mite be a detriment. But they are going up each year in value.My first car was a 68 GTO ragtop that I bought for $1200 and sold it for 15k 11 years later.Never lost a penny on a older muscle car. Here is my 69 Biscayne one of 77 427/425 HP built. My 401k is going up as I am writing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140204_103741.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	939471   Click image for larger version

Name:	7041200391128_ORIG.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	939473  
The Following User Says Thank You to SunnyS For This Useful Post:
Finface (02-15-2019)
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 05:12 PM

I think the 1320 will hold some of it's value. It's a different breed of SRT. Sure the hellcat has more power but it's still a mass produced vehicle. The 1320 is a designated package for drag racing. It will always be that!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014 hemi challenger rt 6 speed 100yr anniversary edition. American thunder exhaust. Mr norms pistol grip shifter. Mopar hood pins. Mopar stage one lowering kit. Mopar front strut tower brace. American racing torque thrust m. Nitto nt420s tires. Drilled and slotted rotors. Trinity Diablo t-1000 tuner. Jab jet coated shortly headers.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 PM

My 401k is going up as I write this also. But, I could get hit by the turnip truck (DIE) at any given moment so if your disposable income dictates then spoil yourself.
This is an investment in your own personal enjoyment of life and it is short!

So at some point put the scientific analysis of the monetary aspect aside and fly by the seat of your pants.

But only if you can afford it.
My car has been worth every penny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Decay For This Useful Post:
Finface (02-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode