Living with a Hellcat - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would love a Hellcat and might purchase one at some point. But considering I rarely ever get to go WOT with my 392 I'm not sure I see the payoff of having even more unused HP!! The speed limit never changes based on the HP under the hood but your cost of ownership certainly does!!

If I just didn't care - ok. But I do. So far the 392 is the pick for me. So far ….

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clevetown For This Useful Post:
BeerAndBlueSkies (07-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks to everyone who replied, this is exactly what I was hoping for (a nice mix of opinions and experiences)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimec View Post
First off if you don't get the ZF8 you'll be missing a big piece of what the hellcat is best at doing...living with a cat means becoming best friends with your favorite gas station and insurance company, the rest is "just push start"
I do have some friends who own powerful cars (a couple of vettes, a camaro here and there and a spot of 'stang) who've said similar things. Folks who otherwise love the stick, but for their purpose bought rocket-mobiles want max performance all the time. So I get the 8spd is an awesome experience (even the reviewers have nothing but great things to say). I think, when it gets to that point, I'll have to test drive both and see where the heart goes. For this kind of car, the pull towards the manual is strong (with the complete understanding that I may sacrifice some of that "max performance") but I'll let the experience do the talking Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yngvar View Post
Get the Hellcat. You bought a R/T and was still itching for a Hellcat. Getting anything in between, you'll still long for the Hellcat and just spend more money trying to correct it. The heart wants what it wants...
I bought a cheap base R/T to see if I could live with a Challenger. It was a lot easier for me to dive into a mid twenties-something thousand car for a year or two (and get out if it didn't work out) then going with a new 392 or HC (or even a used one, which would be twice the investment). So the first phase is more or less going as planned If I had bought the SXT, I'd have some buyer remorse...

Now that I know I can live with "Challenger" as a car, I feel a lot more comfortable taking that next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19johned53 View Post
Like several have stated, don't drive one if you're really not ready to buy one. It will ruin you! Lol

They will cost more to own, so if your budget just isn't there for a HC, no sense walking around with a self induced limp. No sense in that.

When I had my '10 R/TC, I stayed away from driving a 392 car, as I knew that I would want that power.

When my '10 got totalled, I knew that I wanted another Challenger, so it was between a Scat Pack or a HC.

I weighed the purchase cost, and ownership cost of both, along with the fact that I would be retiring in the near future. For me, the most sensible pick was the SP.

Sensible to me meant being able to maintain ownership for the long term. Too many folks jump on a particular car, and then in a year or two say, "I really don't need or can't afford this toy "

I didn't test drive either car, I ordered a SP with the options that I wanted. It was the right move for me. Totally happy with it, and now that I'm retired, I drive It or I don't. It was an affordable toy that I can keep for as long as I want.

Don't know the OP's life situation, but just suggesting to go into this with clear head, and not just an emmotional purchase.

Emotions are good, but can bite you later, or sometimes sooner on a purchase like this.

Best of luck on your choice.
Yes... I know not even to look at anything with a for sale sign, I've blocked it from carmax and autotrader, google has been instructed to redirect any request to 1980 used pintos in rust... lol.

In all seriousness, I don't intend to test drive until I'm actually ready to buy something. That's how I did it with my Challenger last year (had been in the market for over year prior).

@19johned53 - That's some very sound advice, truly. One of the reasons I started this thread was to get the thinking aligned. It was easy to plunk down some cash for a baby R/T, but a used HC (or a new SRT) get's into more serious money that's harder to walk away from easily. I do see this as a toy (in a way) but one that still costs a lot of money I want to be happy (as happy as is possible) but not to the point of ruination

--
Bill
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T M6
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Garage
I started out with a 2016 scat pack, after 6 months of owning it (it was a blast to drive) i knew that i wanted to step up to the hellcat. I haven't regretted it at all. I ended up with a 2016 Hellcat with a few more options than my scatpack had. If the hellcat didn't exist i would have the scat pack and do all of the hp upgrades.

Bone Stock......so far
The Following User Says Thank You to biocide For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,047 Times in 872 Posts
Seems like everyone focuses on the "get up and go" power of the hell cat but the stopping power is just as impressive....makes the R/T brakes seem like all wheel drums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ M6 (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
BeerAndBlueSkies (07-09-2019), Jimmy N. (07-09-2019)
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Seems like everyone focuses on the "get up and go" power of the hell cat but the stopping power is just as impressive....makes the R/T brakes seem like all wheel drums.
true that
The Following User Says Thank You to biocide For This Useful Post:
post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biocide View Post
I started out with a 2016 scat pack, after 6 months of owning it (it was a blast to drive) i knew that i wanted to step up to the hellcat. I haven't regretted it at all. I ended up with a 2016 Hellcat with a few more options than my scatpack had. If the hellcat didn't exist i would have the scat pack and do all of the hp upgrades.
I spent about the same time in my SP before queuing up an Autotrader alert and beginning my search. The limitations of upgrades to the 6.4L, without pistons, etc, made a big difference in how I wanted to approach more power.

2016 Hellcat
The Following User Says Thank You to landoawd For This Useful Post:
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:51 AM

I used to hate automatic transmissions, and still do for the most part, as I didn't like the insertion loss, weight, or dirrect connection to the rear end. I also hated that I couldn't choose what gear I wanted. But then I learned about the ZF8, it's better than a traditional auto, a DCT, and even superior to the Tremec 6MT. It's the only trans I want now after driving SRT mopars with both auto and manual at Bondurant for the day.

Anyone who balks at the ZF8 instantly doesn't understand how it is superior to everything else out there.
This video should help.

As for me, I love the hellcat, but it's pretty much useless for the street. Even with the black key at 500hp, traction is an issue. Plus the SP is about 200bls lighter.

The car I want is the SPWB.
The Following User Says Thank You to GlockandRoll For This Useful Post:
BeerAndBlueSkies (07-12-2019)
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 AM

I started with the 2011 RT, then 2012 SRT, 2015 SRT, 2016 Hellcat and now 2019 Redeye. If you get the Hellcat you will wonder why you didn’t get it in the first place. I loved it everyday. Driving it never gets old. I would find any excuse or reason to drive it. 38 months and 34,000 miles before I upgraded and that’s being retired. Would have been about 60,000 miles if I used it as a daily driver.

There’s never enough time behind the wheel!
The Following User Says Thank You to Maddmaster For This Useful Post:
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:09 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,047 Times in 872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockandRoll View Post

Anyone who balks at the ZF8 instantly doesn't understand how it is superior to everything else out there.
It is usually the ZF owners who are hating on the M6...not the other way around.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,887 Times in 2,934 Posts
Garage
But...there's no "Man Pedal" (Never got my manhood from a pedal, but...OK)

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Guy For This Useful Post:
BeerAndBlueSkies (07-12-2019), Envyous71 (07-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in