New 2017 hellcat but some disconcerting issues - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgfr View Post
It is a 70k car but it is barely a wal-mart worthy body. I've looked at hundreds and all of the suck somewhere in body panel alignment. The body is made from metal about half as thick as aluminum foil too.

Your car actually looks pretty good and most likely hasn't been in a body shop....In fact it looks better than mine on the drivers door. A lot of challengers have that same look. Walk around back and look at the trunk on your car...it isn't perfectly centered either...

Enjoy it.

Perhaps..my 15 scat pack had no alignment issues not even the trunk. This one has perfect alignment on trunk as well but I guess the issues all being localized in one specific area is what's perking my ears up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Destroyer Gray Hellcat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 07:03 PM

I would definitely have it looked at by a professional body shop. All of my Challengers have had fitment issues but nothing like those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker, Redline Tricoat Pearl, A8, Harmon Kardon Premium Sound Group, Scat Pack Appearance Package, Sunroof, Hyper Black II Forged Aluminum Rims, Speedlogix Catch Can.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 AM

The panels align well on my 2016 SP. I'm a retired body shop owner and continue to find very small dents. Probably not visible to folks that have not done body work but it indicates the quality of the finish is not what it could be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 AM

my 18 had only one paint issue on the hood and I went over the entire car with a light. I think the fact that the 18's rolled out of the Brampton plant with the brand new paint shop clearly shows the improvement over the earlier models.

My panel gaps look pretty good. I suppose if I wanted to nit-pick, the gap between the front fenders and hood is slightly mismatched and some interior trim is not 100% perfect, but I don't have any rattles or squeaks or anything.

I'd say coming from a BMW 5-series to this, the fit and finish is nearly on-par with it. Only one area is better. That would be the door panels. My door panels don't feel like they are 100% connected to the doors. Whereas my BMW, it felt like it was absolutely rock-solid.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Normal American car Assembly.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:39 AM

Normal.
and there before you bought the car.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:07 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
All of my Challengers have had some issue with fit and finish, it is par for the course. Go to a paint shop with a paint gauge and have them inspect. If it had any paint work it will be easy to find with the proper equipment and an experienced eye...

A year and 100 miles at the dealer leaves a lot of room for shenanigans...

2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody Pitch Black - A8
SOLD:2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody Pitch Black - A8
SOLD:2015 Challenger SRT8 392 Black - A8
SOLD:2012 Challenger SRT8 392 Black - Silver Stripes - A5
SOLD:2011 Challenger R/T Classic Black - Red Stripes - A5
SOLD:2009 Challenger SRT8 Black - 6sp
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:49 PM

You should have seen them in 1970! Now I am sure that was a lark. I keep waiting for shows like GC to make bad panel gaps part of an authentic factory restoration but they haven't yet!

I remember in 1986 my friends Dad bought a "brand new" black Buick Regal. It took me two seconds to point out that it had been hit in the left front fender and badly repaired. I mean BAD. There were long straight tape masking lines across the chrome wheel well trim. Couldn't even be bothered to take it off. And the orange peel in the paint was just hideous.

My Dad bought an "executive car" from a client of his who owned a Toyota dealer. Really...who is stupid enough to F their accountant you would think? But this guy sure did. My Dad was pretty pissed when I opened his door and showed him the "Hertz" sticker.

Buyer beware. Even for a new car. I still can't believe they don't bother to clear the metallic under the hoods, etc... on my $50K SRT 392! I still sort of want to have the paint thickness measured, but I am kind of scared to know.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode