Rearend Swaying - Feels Loose! '17 HellCat - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Arrow Rearend Swaying - Feels Loose! '17 HellCat

Hello. I have a question about my car. Its a '17 HellCat Challenger with 7700 miles. Car has new factory OEM size Pirelli's. I just came back from a drive and noticed the rear of the car was doing some crazy stuff. It almost feels like the car has a "locker" rearend in it. Depending on the speed, gear or left/right turn and slightly accelerate, then shift, the ass-end of the car has movement like its shifting from side to side at times or moves towards switching into another lane without notice! WTF! No way in hell is that normal, so I have something going on back there. I didn't notice it on the test drive or the drive home when I purchased it last week. Nothing on the car appears to show any signs of accident, damage history and the drive-train or rear-end doesn't make any noises, etc. Your thoughts?

"Honor The Dead & Fight Like Hell For The Living"

Last edited by FLYIN4D; 04-05-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Rear tire(s) going flat/low air?

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
If it is not tire pressure, check the lug nuts then bushings at links/control arms/cradle. If you have access to a gopro, slap it under the car so you can video what happens...or have a friend follow you in another car and have them watch the rear wheels to see if they are doing anything funny. BTW do you have limited slip diff?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN4D View Post
Hello. I have a question about my car. Its a '17 HellCat Challenger with 7700 miles. Car has new Pirelli's. I just came back from a drive and noticed the rear of the car was doing some crazy stuff. It almost feels like the car has a "locker" rearend in it. Depending on the speed, gear or left/right turn and slightly accelerate, then shift, the ass-end of the car has movement like its shifting from side to side at times or moves towards switching into another lane without notice! WTF! No way in hell is that normal, so I have something going on back there. I didn't notice it on the test drive or the drive home when I purchased it last week. Nothing on the car appears to show any signs of accident, damage history and the drive-train or rear-end doesn't make any noises, etc. Your thoughts?
Was it raining?

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
It is a Hellcat. 707hp. Maybe you need to calibrate your right foot?

The Hellcat requires one be very judicious with throttle input or the rear tires will break loose and more readily that lesser cars.

Check tire inflation pressures. Cold. I believe the proper inflation pressure is 32psi. Try to get the tires inflated to the same pressure as close to possible.

Check the tires. Be sure they are the "right" tires for the car. The right tires for high performance cars means more than just black, round and the right size. Tread wear rating, speed rating, load rating, etc., all play a role in ensuring the tire can withstand what the car subjects it too and that the tire delivers the desired road experience. Not only regarding just grip, but stability, resistance to uneven road surfaces, acceptable noise levels, ride harshness, etc.

If the tires are unidirectional be sure they are all mounted in the right direction.

Just to be safe/thorough check the lug nuts are properly torqued.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I know it’s a HellCat and my foot and hands have matted much much more HP in a street car than this car lays down. That isn’t the problem at all. And yes, I respect the HP/TQ this car puts down.

I did check tire pressures. They’re at 39 PSI all the way around in each corner.

Took it back to dealer this morning and met with the service advisor. Their Tech manager went with me in a test drive and it repeated multiple times on the test drive. He’s seen the problem before. Taking it back on Monday to get the situation looked at on a lift and leaving it there for a couple other things to be addressed I’ve since noticed. They’re providing me a rental car.

Since my return from the dealership I’ll let the tires get cold again, then drop the pressure to 32 PSI. That way I can see if that is the cause or at least eliminate it from the entire list. I’ll report back. I JUST WANT IT RIDING RIGHT!!

Last edited by FLYIN4D; 04-05-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN4D View Post
I know it’s a HellCat and my foot and hands have matted much much more HP in a street car than this car lays down. That isn’t the problem at all. And yes, I respect the HP/TQ this car puts down.

I did check tire pressures. They’re at 39 PSI all the way around in each corner.

Took it back to dealer this morning and met with the service advisor. Their Tech manager went with me in a test drive and it repeated multiple times on the test drive. He’s seen the problem before. Taking it back on Monday to get the situation looked at on a lift and leaving it there for a couple other things to be addressed I’ve since noticed. They’re providing me a rental car.

Ok. It ain't your lead foot.

39psi is too much air pressure based on what is called for with my 2018 Hellcat. But could that be what accounts for the behavior? Can't say.

You are doing the right thing: Having the car checked out to get to the bottom of what's going on, causing the behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode