Unlocking the stock ECU - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - ) Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Unlocking the stock ECU

Has anyone heard anything about getting the stock ECU unlocked. A friend said that Diablo had done it and that the stock ECU then becomes programmable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:14 AM

Diablo, HP Tuners and probably others can unlock the PCM for tuning with their software. Make sure you understand how tuning takes place and what other hardware/software is required before you move forward. Most folks opt to purchase an unlocked PCM and retain the stock one for back up, warranty, etc.

2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
Jazz Blue, Ruby Red Leather, A8, Scat Pack Appearance Group
Tazer, BT catch can, ported intake manifold, Hemifever Tune, Fastman 84mm TB.
SW mid pipes, Performance differential brace, BMR non adjustable trailing arms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob446 For This Useful Post:
PaVaSteeler (05-08-2018)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:42 AM

I have a my stock PCM sitting on a shelf, I had a Scat pack 1 PCM installed in my 2015 R/T. I keep thinking about getting it done, but tuning for some reason makes me nervous, like afraid I will "brick" my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Does unlocking your stock ECU or even getting a race ECU kill your warranty. I want to change the exhaust on my 2018 Hellcat and remove the Cats, that will require unlocking the ECU to override the o2 sensor. will Chrysler find out
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
I have a my stock PCM sitting on a shelf, I had a Scat pack 1 PCM installed in my 2015 R/T. I keep thinking about getting it done, but tuning for some reason makes me nervous, like afraid I will "brick" my car.
I know exactly what you mean, that is why I went with Diablo and a remote tuner. I really wanted to go with a more hands on solution but after months of studying realized that I had neither the knowledge or skill to tune my own vehicle. Hope to get there someday. I have a lot of respect for board members that tune their own cars.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanked 1,106 Times in 618 Posts
Garage
Have you heard the phrase "Penny wise, pound foolish?"

That applies to your PCM. You might "save" money having your OEM PCM unlocked, but you're setting yourself up for trouble and expenses down the road.

Why? Because many dealers flash the PCMs when the car is brought in for service. If you unlock your OEM PCM and have a tune installed, when the Dealer flashes that PCM (1) they'll over-write that tune and if you don't have it saved you've lost it and the money you spent on it, and (2) the dealer will read that your PCM has been unlocked; this could (will) lead to warranty issues down the road.

IF you are interested in getting a tune, you're far better off buying an already unlocked PCM from HP Tuners or Diablo Sports, and only swap it out with your OEM PCM when you take your car in for service (takes 20 minutes max).

Strange things can happen to a PCM that's flashed by the dealer; if they "brick" your unlocked OEM PCM, they'll most likely deny culpability because it was unlocked, and you'll be stuck at the dealer with a very expensive paper weight (your car) unless you pay the dealer to replace the PCM....IF they have one in stock.

Bite the bullet and buy a second PCM that is unlocked by the tuner of your choice...it's worth the piece of mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Renny", a 2015 Scat Pack 392, 6M Pitch Black - Driver's Conv Opt; Tech Opt; Leather; SGII
Billet Technology engine bay pieces - Sponsor
Custom designed, George Barris inspired side pipes Hiflow Custom Exhaust - Sponsor
Katzkin Leather interior - Sponsor
NoWeeds Exhaust Diverters - Sponsor
Barton Flat Stick Short Shifter
Mopar Stage 1 Springs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
All in all its best if I leave the car stock. Save a lot of hassle down the road.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Good Idea. I put catless on and used Bigdaddys mini-cats that screw in under the rear o2 sensors and it never coded. They are the answer to that problem. BUT, I tried all last summer to verify a gain from the catless and an LMI on a stocker and I ended up breaking about even with a 10.89 in around 1800-2000ft air. Went back to all stock and then went a couple 10.85's and a 10.84. I suspect on a stocker the catalytic back pressure may somehow work in conjunction with the camshaft overlap period preventing some boosted intake charge from escaping. Just speculation but it is the only thing I can come up with that makes any sense. The LMI sounded cool and looks great and may work on a big HP setup but again I gained 0 in quite a few runs with it on a stock setup. It is a nice piece tho with potential in other applications I would think.

2009 SRT 426 N/A Automatic, CA, headers, Corsa exhaust, 8.8 with a 3.08, 90mm TB, More.
11.64 @ 119 on the motor with drag radials.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Getting rid of the cats isn't about HP gains as i know that the current cats flow very very well. It's about noise level. The cats remove a few Decibels for the exhaust note and I like my cars to sound loud. My Ideal setup would be like my other cars and truck, long tube headers no cats and twin AtAt 2.5 Aero Turbine mufflers straight out to 5" tips. However I feel this would kill my warranty, so i am gonna hold off for a while
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaVaSteeler View Post
Have you heard the phrase "Penny wise, pound foolish?"

That applies to your PCM. You might "save" money having your OEM PCM unlocked, but you're setting yourself up for trouble and expenses down the road.

Why? Because many dealers flash the PCMs when the car is brought in for service. If you unlock your OEM PCM and have a tune installed, when the Dealer flashes that PCM (1) they'll over-write that tune and if you don't have it saved you've lost it and the money you spent on it, and (2) the dealer will read that your PCM has been unlocked; this could (will) lead to warranty issues down the road.

IF you are interested in getting a tune, you're far better off buying an already unlocked PCM from HP Tuners or Diablo Sports, and only swap it out with your OEM PCM when you take your car in for service (takes 20 minutes max).

Strange things can happen to a PCM that's flashed by the dealer; if they "brick" your unlocked OEM PCM, they'll most likely deny culpability because it was unlocked, and you'll be stuck at the dealer with a very expensive paper weight (your car) unless you pay the dealer to replace the PCM....IF they have one in stock.

Bite the bullet and buy a second PCM that is unlocked by the tuner of your choice...it's worth the piece of mind.
If I did my stock PCM I would still have my unaltered Scat Pack 1 PCM and the dealer can NOT flash that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific > SRT Hellcat 6.2L Supercharged (2015 - )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode