Dodge Challenger Forum banner

On the fence! Shaker or T/A

28K views 78 replies 29 participants last post by  Jack44 
#1 ·
Planning on ordering a 2019 Challenger by spring. Have what I want narrowed down to the 392 Shaker or T/A with 6 speed. I'm 73 and looking for a comfortable ride but still fun to drive. Is there any difference in the ride quality/suspension between the two? Aside from the looks, what is the differences from the Shaker to the T/A? I have worn down the keys on my laptop using Dodge's build your Challenger website but still confused. Pricing them the Shaker comes in a few hundred less but that won't effect my decision. Trying to do my homework before I set down with the dealer and make a wrong choice. Thanks in advance for the help. Chief:guiness:

#4 ·
The shaker is a ram air system that is attached to the engine, anytime the engine moves or revs, the Shaker moves and Shakes, hence the name. Do an image search of a scatpack shaker, and you should get good pictures of it. It sticks way out of the hood, and has a total 1970 and 1971 retro look. Go look at one in person before you order, you may love it, or you may love the functional hood of the TA better. But the shaker turns the heads of everybody when it goes by. I love it, that's all I can say.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

#7 ·
They both look great, but if I had to choose, I would get the Shaker. Maybe, I'm biased because I had the original shaker hood on my 1971 340 'Cuda (see attached).

Also, I'm a purist. The "T/A" stripe on the 1970 Challenger really meant something. It signified that the 340 six-pack Challenger was used by Dodge in the Trans-Am racing series. The "T/A" on the modern Challengers just denotes an appearance package.

Another thing to consider, beside cosmetics, is performance. If you want the most bang for your buck ($2k more than a T/A), I would recommend the R/T Scat Pack with the more powerful 392 (485 hp) engine. In years, past, you had to buy an SRT to get this engine. Before you decide, why don't you test drive the 5.7 and 392 to compare? 485 vs. 375 hp. (i.e., 110 hp.) makes a big difference.

If you decide to get the T/A, you should consider the T/A 392 Package.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
I'd look at either of the 392 variant

Both the T/A and Shaker have fresh air intake systems

The T/A 392 package includes 6 piston Brembo brakes/ 20 x 9.5" wheels / 275/40-20 tires as standard

The Shaker would require the Dynamics Package to add those brakes / wheels / tires.

Standard are 4 piston Brembo brakes / 20 x 9" wheels / 245/45-20 tires. 275/40s will fit on the 20 x 9 wheels if you wish to change the tires out.

Both have matte black painted parts - Shaker: (scoop, trim ring, fuel door, rear spoiler)

T/A: (hood, rear spoiler, fuel door) The roof and trunk are a satin vinyl wrap

So both have matte black finishes that require different care than gloss paint.

There's a larger area on the T/A hood to take care of - the reason I mention this is some people might only do car washes or park the car outside.

And tree sap or other environmental factors car make the matte paint look like spots / splotches or streaks.

They're both great looking packages that stand out from the rest of the line-up and have the look of the what was around in the '70 / '71 model

Also - if you're ordering new...to get the alcantara / leather interior - you have to order the Plus packages and then spec which seat. The leather / alcantara seats have heat and ventilation - if you live in a warm climate...the vented seats are a nice feature; makes the a/c feel more effective, or on a milder day, you don't need as much a/c
-if you want that interior selection

The standard interiors are houndstooth cloth seats - this change occurred in 2017 so if you want interior materials beyond the base cloth, you have to order the options to have the upgraded interiors.

For the Shaker models, the exterior stripes are extra cost option vs. standard as an additional note. The T/A model has the side stripes as standard and can be a option to delete them [blackout hood, roof, trunk are part of the package and can't be deleted on the order]

The 392 equipped models have fixed shocks, and the ride is firm. I mention that as some might have tried out an SXT or R/T (5.7) model and find the 392 had a firmer ride than was expected.

Adaptive Damping System (option) adds 3 way shocks - extra cost option. On a T/A this option can be added as stand alone (this model already includes 6 piston brakes). On a 392 Shaker (4 piston brakes std) ADS option will trigger the required Dynamics Pkg option (6 piston brakes), which is additional cost.

Note: the wide body option is n/a on T/A or Shaker models (this includes the 6 piston brakes & 3 way Bilstein shocks)

#10 ·
The 392 equipped models have fixed shocks, and the ride is firm. I mention that as some might have tried out an SXT or R/T (5.7) model and find the 392 had a firmer ride than was expected.
I added the optional Adaptive Damping Suspension to my '19 SP Shaker and the ride is very comfortable. Not sure how it compares to the standard shocks but IMO its worth the extra $995 if comfort is key; this option & dynamics pkg make the SP similar to the discontinued SRT model.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
you got me by a few months i'm 72. for my part at my age i wanted a car that screams, i'm old but not done. in '17 dodge got the trifecta for me yellow jacket(same as my '71 340 duster), 392 w/auto(i know purist don't like but when in your 70's for sure either have knee or foot trouble or live in a big town), plus the shaker that i wanted back in the 70's but could not afford. there is a jy ta in town & it's sweet. but to have something only dodge of the big3 has was enough for me. just at 73 be ready to test those reflexes if you go an a8 when you put her in sport mode, 1st & 2nd redline in a heartbeat. can't go wrong with a t/a but for me shaker.

#16 ·
the clutches in any Tremec application (Dodge uses this tranny) are hydraulic, so clutch pedal effort is light.

They aren't heavy / stiff clutches like the old 3 finger clutch diaphragm designs with the mechanical clutch linkage.

Sport mode in the M6 is just as responsive - turns up the throttle response quite a bit, w/o the jerky quality the A8s would have in stop/go traffic.

I would only recommend Sport mode (A8) where you have more room in driving since the throttle is pretty touchy with that application.

#18 ·
as an old timer the sports mode almost feels like a quick release rear axle & jumping to 4.11's. thank goodness though for rev limiter & yes hal agree you really have to watch her in sport, the more room the better, although the first 2 gears are addicting. have actually been an auto guy because of big city drive
since my tourqflite on my 71 duster.

#17 ·
I like the T/A.

On the white gauges, only Shaker and T/A have them now, regular Scat Pack does not.

Also been another change for 2019, the T/A 392 no longer includes standard 6-piston brakes, you get the same 4-pistons as included with Scat Packs and if you want the 6-pistons you must also order Dynamics Package like on Scat Packs.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#21 · (Edited)
Slidd - thanks for the heads up.

There's been a lot of de-contenting of standard features on the '19s that used to be included with the packages [T/A, Shaker, Hellcat] - that it takes a good bit of navigating around...especially comparing '18s vs. '19s.

It got the entry prices down, but for a buyer that crossed over model years could overlook some key items that they may have wanted!

although for a buyer not aware of the expensive 6 piston brake rotors + the aggressive pad compound...the 4 piston brakes are a fine alternative for the street and don't have nearly the dust issue that the 6 piston OEM pads are known for.

#25 ·
I have the same Octane Red 2018 392 Scat Pack Shaker as 392shkr (see pix) and it gets lots of looks. I enjoy driving it however living in NJ the summer tires have to go for the winter. I replaced my 2008 Charger SRT with this Challenger.

BTW! I’m 65 years old and have always had high performance cars from when I started driving at age 17.

#26 ·
For those that have the Shaker and the T/A which one gets the most air into the CAI? Asking as I am getting ready to order as well and going back and fourth between a 392 T/A, a scat pack 1320 with the shaker option (if it can be built with a shaker) or a 392 wide body with the shaker. From pictures I see on the net it seems the shaker mainly gets air (hot) out of the engine compartment or is it somehow plumbed from under neath to the CAI? I believe the T/A is plumbed in the hood. That all being said is the new R/T hood that is on the Scat Pack plumbed to the CAI? I believe the two outboard vents are to vent under hood air. Asking all this as none of the dealers have these cars on the lot to look at in detail as most are SXT's and trying to figure what I want before I order. Thanks

#30 ·
From the members in our club, we've compared our IAT readings between Shaker and T/A models and the results appear to be about the same.

The SP wide body only can be a Scat Pack R/T with that option - no T/A or Shaker models can be ordered in conjunction with the wide - body option.
- however, you can order the Dynamics Pkg & Adaptive Damping option on either T/A or Shaker models; you get the 20 x 9.5" wheels + 275/40 tires.

The wide body has the Dynamics, Adaptive Damping as part of the package along with the 20 x 11" wheels + 305/35 tires.

The 1320 Package doesn't allow Wide Body option nor Dynamics Pkg [this model has the adjustable Bilsteins with the features from Demon for compression / rebound settings for Track] - probably since the weight saving measures would be defeated by having larger, heavier wheels and tires along with the body work and the heavier 6 piston brakes...

Reactions: Keith Richards 768Q
#27 ·
They both are a cold air intake, it's really personal choice oh, look at them both in person and decide what you like the best, obviously I think the Shaker is the most striking hood that Dodge makes for the Challenger. And it gets a ton of looks. There is no right or wrong answer, just what looks good to your own eye. But the Shaker gets a lot more attention. All positive

#28 ·
Thanks @392SHKR most likely will be a Shaker, I am old school for sure with a '70 Challenger R/T tube chassis 9 sec. drag car (yes a real cut up 440 R/T) and a '72 Road Runner with air grabber and pistol grip 4 speed at home. One thing I like about the shaker is it can be ordered without the black stripe graphics were as the T/A they cannot be deleted (hood-roof-trunk) as I worry without proper care and even with good care what that wrap will stain and bleach out from the sun.

Attachments

#32 ·
Code:
I hear ya about the vinyl and agree with you about it fading even with the proper care especially if it sits outside. I think this summer when it gets warm I will remove the vinyl stripes completely to show the beautiful Octane Red color..... I purchased this CPO Challenger with 8000 miles on it and it seems that this graphics package is a very popular option.

#31 ·
Conclusions so far!!

Guys, Thanks for all the input and I am narrowing it down some. Everyone (almost) seems to love the Shaker. The rare dissenter seems to bring up the price of the Shaker package at $2500. If you look up a 3 year old Challenger on NADA it adds $2900 to the price of a used car! Looks like a no brainer to me. I really like the T/A stripe and I noticed Hal H and some others added the stripe to their Scat packs. One of the sites vendors has the stripe for around $150 so as I figure it I can get the Shaker with graphics and add the stripe and still be $250 less than a T/A. The only issue is the 9.5" rims and tires which can be had with the dynamics package for $2200 but not sure that would be worth it to me. Here is what I have come up with so far:

2019 Challenger Scat Pack 392
Shaker package
6 speed trans
Drivers convenience group
Tech group
Plus package
Shaker graphics
Hood pins
Navigation

On Dodges web site this adds up to $48,709 probably around 45K i'm guessing at the dealer, Now color? B5 Blue, Torred and I would also like to see Plum Crazy in person before I order.

Just thought that with all the work you guys have put in guiding me I should post where I am as of this moment. None of this is set in stone except the 392 so if you have any further suggestions please add your opinions. Thanks again for all the guidance, Chief:beer_yum::beer_yum:

#34 ·
Guys, Thanks for all the input and I am narrowing it down some. Everyone (almost) seems to love the Shaker. The rare dissenter seems to bring up the price of the Shaker package at $2500. If you look up a 3 year old Challenger on NADA it adds $2900 to the price of a used car! Looks like a no brainer to me. I really like the T/A stripe and I noticed Hal H and some others added the stripe to their Scat packs. One of the sites vendors has the stripe for around $150 so as I figure it I can get the Shaker with graphics and add the stripe and still be $250 less than a T/A. The only issue is the 9.5" rims and tires which can be had with the dynamics package for $2200 but not sure that would be worth it to me. Here is what I have come up with so far:

2019 Challenger Scat Pack 392
Shaker package
6 speed trans
Drivers convenience group
Tech group
Plus package
Shaker graphics
Hood pins
Navigation

On Dodges web site this adds up to $48,709 probably around 45K i'm guessing at the dealer, Now color? B5 Blue, Torred and I would also like to see Plum Crazy in person before I order.

Just thought that with all the work you guys have put in guiding me I should post where I am as of this moment. None of this is set in stone except the 392 so if you have any further suggestions please add your opinions. Thanks again for all the guidance, Chief:beer_yum::beer_yum:

I'd recommend that you spec the Leather / alcantara seats - heated & vented, and IMO, look better than the standard houndstooth cloth seats.

Here's my Torred that has the black / ruby interior. The all leather isn't offered any longer, but there's still the alcantara / leather option in that color scheme. Although with your color choices of B5 Blue or Plum, the black interior would be the way to go...

I removed all the shaker stripes on mine, save for the wide hood stripe (accentuates the shaker) and added the '71 style R/T stripes

Attachments

#33 ·
I love the Scat Pack appearance package with the stripes on the trunk , I store the car inside. If they ever do Fade I'll just have them REI wrapped in vinyl. Not that expensive. Stripes and Challengers go hand-in-hand. And I love my octane red as well

#40 ·
I love the Scat Pack appearance package with the stripes on the trunk , I store the car inside. If they ever do Fade I'll just have them REI wrapped in vinyl. Not that expensive. Stripes and Challengers go hand-in-hand. And I love my octane red as well

I've had mine 3 years, and garaged. My stripes haven't faded.

#36 ·
I like the stripes but wish the entire roof was NOT totally covered...... I have only had the car for a month so maybe I will get use to them.
I purchased a gallon of the Matte Black Detailer/Protectant and it seems to do a very nice job, I have NOT detailed the exterior yet because of the cold weather but when done I will post up a pic to show the shine...... I am addicted to the shine and take pride in my detailing skills. The dealer must have used a quick spray detailer that looks horrible so I will have to do a complete wax removal, iron removal, clay, polish, seal, wax. It took me two hours to detail the glass to get it looking great and streak free.

#37 ·
i use the matte black as well & works best of the products that i tried, but even with it, try not to do in the sun. even it dried streaky. i do like the t/a stripes at lot, but agree the complete roof black, i thought was too much. since mine yj a call out to the '12 yellow jacket strip

#38 ·
I wouldn't be able to pick, get the t/a add a cervini's shaker? see t/a hood and intake to recoup shaker expense??? sorry buddy, i cant help with this decision i love em both...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.