Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SP vs RT, layout really that different?

5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Maxoom 
#1 · (Edited)
Is the layout of the Scat Pack Challenger really that different from the R/T?

Let me explain what I'm talking about through my recent experience at a few dealerships. Keep in mind that I plan on getting a scat pack shaker but wanted to try out any challenger first. First dealer had no Scat Packs on the lot but had a medium-loaded RT with full leather seats, alpine audio, hectic mesh interior, sunroof, and a bunch of other stuff, as close as I thought I was going to get with what I would want in the SP.

Test drove the car and was extremely disappointed with an immediate reaction of the challenger is not going to work for me. I adjusted the seat as low as it could go and I was sitting too high, The dash board looked weird like it was curving down, looking over the hood was ridiculous felt like I was on top of it, brakes were hard as a rock, and just overall driving it around felt like I was trying to navigate a boat on a crazy road course. Test drove a charger RT and liked that alot better than that particular challenger, rode good, brakes were better, I sat lower, and didn't feel like a navigator but rather a driver.

I left disappointed but decided to take a look at another dealer with a few Scat Pack shakers on the lot. I knew they weren't gonna let me drive them but I asked to sit in one of them just so I can get a feel and bingo I was in heaven! The seat went a lot lower, I felt like I was in the car rather than sitting on top of it, the dash didnt look weird to me everything was in place, and then the sales guy says F-it lets take it around the lot, and I could tell at a whopping 8 MPH joy ride that this was exactly what I was looking for. I wasnt looking down on the hood but rather over it and just felt more planted to the ground overall. Putting all the power and obvious differences aside, is the interior layout I experienced a mental mind game affect or are the RT cars really that different? I honestly was walking away from the Idea of owning a challenger because of the RT until this scat pack re sparked that possibility.

See less See more
#6 ·
No intention of ever buying an RT, was always going to get a Scat Pack no matter what so talking myself into it is not a factor. The RT's is all they had on the lot to test drive.

Most of this is in your mind - not nearly that much difference...
Maybe this is the case but all the subtle differences must add up to a completely different car. The power in the RT felt good and I didn't get to drive the scat pack out of first gear so power is not part of my decision. I think the scat pack felt lower to the ground and better seating position. Just wanted to see if anyone that gone from an RT to a scat pack noticed such a big difference in feel, remember all power aside. The RT is a nice car don't get me wrong but I didn't expect such a big difference in the feel of both cars.

#3 ·
Having drove both the scat pack and the RT as far as interior goes they are the identical. The seating does feel a little different from my RT to my scat I'm not sure if it's because I had the standard cloth seats in my RT and the leather/suede in my scat seems to sit a little higher. As far as braking you can feel the difference and the handling between the two is different also but hey go with the Scat. Can't pass up that 6.4.

#9 ·
your experience sounds weird to me, but everyone perceives things differently. As a guy that had a 2015 R/T Plus, with leather heated/cooled seats, and has recently purchased a 2016 Scat Pack, I can tell you they are the same except the seats. I liked the leather better than the suede, and the bolsters on the suede are bigger. Other than that, nothing, absolutely nothing is different. Getting in and out, same, view out the windows, same. All the buttons and knobs and controls, same. I was immediately comfortable moving to this car. Much different experience than the 2014 SXT to the R/T.

#10 ·
Don't understand the couldn't drive the SP statement? When I was looking I drove an RT, SP, SRT and was offered to drive a used HC, which I declined because I knew I would never buy one. Hot Rodded all 3 at the request of the salesman. Even did 0 to 60's with them.. I didn't notice much interior difference between them. Maybe you need another dealer that lets you drive what your interested in. I got the RT Shaker Plus because of the savings of buying a 15 in march of 16 and the basic cost difference. I am 6'2", live in Texas and wear a Stetson hat when I drive, so there is plenty of headroom. Sounds to me like you have decided on the SP, so go get it

#12 ·
The salesman explained that the Scat packs they dont let anyone test drive until they know your really serious about purchasing the car. Said that people want low miles on these when they buy them. While I was sitting in it he said you could start it up though. I looked down and I said "but this one has 631 miles on it already" and he had a blank expression on his face and didnt say anything. Mabye my experience was due to the first car was still covered in plastic, couldnt hear anything over the plastic and papers whipping around while driving and couldn't really get a sense of the car. Mabye the scat pack seats where lower but the RT I drove the seats were hard and felt like you were sitting in a rental. I think this was all due to the rush factor I went through as they didn't have the color I asked for, they through me in another RT and said this should be the same let us know and were to busy to do anything else.

#11 ·
This post is ridiculous

This may even be the "most stupid" CT post of all time (even more stupid than some of my "gems"). The RT seat does not sit higher than an RT Scat seat, or Hellcat seat. Looking over the cowl in all Challengers offers the same vantage point to a driver. One does not feel like a Navigator in one and a Pilot of the other because of the "layout." Suspension differences may cause some Challengers to handle a little better, but the overall experience of sitting in a large Coupe will be the same. Chargers do not offer "escape from the boat" as they are built on the same frame/chassis.

Reactions: PSM450
#13 ·
This may even be the "most stupid" CT post of all time (even more stupid than some of my "gems"). The RT seat does not sit higher than an RT Scat seat, or Hellcat seat. Looking over the cowl in all Challengers offers the same vantage point to a driver. One does not feel like a Navigator in one and a Pilot of the other because of the "layout." Suspension differences may cause some Challengers to handle a little better, but the overall experience of sitting in a large Coupe will be the same. Chargers do not offer "escape from the boat" as they are built on the same frame/chassis.
Yeah, I hear ya, I realized after I made this post that this is actually a really dumb post. The answer I was looking for was they are the same and the layouts are not different you are crazy. I was going to be surprised if these cars were really that different but I just wanted to make sure from people who owned both models. It was late I was tired from dealing with the sales people when I made this thread. Sorry guys.

#16 ·
Is the layout of the Scat Pack Challenger really that different from the R/T?

Let me explain what I'm talking about through my recent experience at a few dealerships. Keep in mind that I plan on getting a scat pack shaker but wanted to try out any challenger first. First dealer had no Scat Packs on the lot but had a medium-loaded RT with full leather seats, alpine audio, hectic mesh interior, sunroof, and a bunch of other stuff, as close as I thought I was going to get with what I would want in the SP.

Test drove the car and was extremely disappointed with an immediate reaction of the challenger is not going to work for me. I adjusted the seat as low as it could go and I was sitting too high, The dash board looked weird like it was curving down, looking over the hood was ridiculous felt like I was on top of it, brakes were hard as a rock, and just overall driving it around felt like I was trying to navigate a boat on a crazy road course. Test drove a charger RT and liked that alot better than that particular challenger, rode good, brakes were better, I sat lower, and didn't feel like a navigator but rather a driver.

I left disappointed but decided to take a look at another dealer with a few Scat Pack shakers on the lot. I knew they weren't gonna let me drive them but I asked to sit in one of them just so I can get a feel and bingo I was in heaven! The seat went a lot lower, I felt like I was in the car rather than sitting on top of it, the dash didnt look weird to me everything was in place, and then the sales guy says F-it lets take it around the lot, and I could tell at a whopping 8 MPH joy ride that this was exactly what I was looking for. I wasnt looking down on the hood but rather over it and just felt more planted to the ground overall. Putting all the power and obvious differences aside, is the interior layout I experienced a mental mind game affect or are the RT cars really that different? I honestly was walking away from the Idea of owning a challenger because of the RT until this scat pack re sparked that possibility.

I had 2013 full loaded R/T. I test drove a Shaker Scat Pack, and realized the R/T would no longer cut it because of the on demand power of the A8 and 392. The Shaker is too pricey, so I opted for Scat Pack. I traded in my 2013, and do not regret it. I always get compliments about the color, and everyone always wants to know about the bees

You need to get a Scat Pack

#17 ·
Or SRT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Well I had a 2015 Challenger R/T 5.7 and traded it for a 2016 Challenger R/T SP. Interior layout, seating position, view over hood and out the rear quarters all completely identical. Now when you push the button and take the SP for a drive...well that's a completely different story. :wink3:

#19 ·
The Chally 6.4 is night and day different than the Chally 5.7 [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·

Thank you. That was the point of this post originally. I wanted to see if it was just me or if the cars were really different. One thing I can take out of this is that it is a good thing to try out all models/options before making a decision. All the little things can add up to make or break a decision. I just didn't understand why I felt like I was sitting differently in the RT. It wasnt a base model but it didnt appear to be loaded either. I liked the car but didn't like the seating or the view. I like to sit low in the car rather than feel like I'm looking down trying to see out of it kinda hunched over is the best way to describe it. Others have said this post was stupid but then why is it still going lol. Scat Pack is the way to go, now just waiting for the right deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.