Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SRT 392 Replaced by Scat Pack models

41K views 92 replies 29 participants last post by  TA 392 YJ 
#1 · (Edited)
As some have suspected, it seems as though the SRT 392 model will be discontinued for 2019 and replaced by the Scat Pack with new features and standard options (including standard '15-'18 Hellcat hood). See the press release below (scroll down for Scat Pack and R/T upgrades).
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=19970&mid=1

Cliff's Notes version (video):

#3 · (Edited)
I really like the new bigger R/T grill emblem for the Hellcat style facia and hope it's worked into the non wide body Scats as well. Also, I like the 392 bee badges too. They finally face the correct way for both sides of the car now too.

Attachments

#13 ·
The question in my mind is that with them pushing the 392 out in the R/T and pushing superchargers into everything what is going to happen to prices? Is it going to be 50K for an R/T now?

Looks like the SRT is essentially becoming the R/T and the Hellcat is the new mid level model.

They may price a lot of guys out of the market. But, maybe they will also put a turbo or a supercharger in the SXT. If the put one in the GT it would be a heck of a commuter car for the northeast. I'd be tempted if it made 400hp. I don't drive my SRT because driving a stick in endless bumper to bumper traffic sucks. I got hit last Monday in my pickup. Low speed and maybe a receiver shaped bumper decoration will teach her to get off her damn phone.

#16 ·
More questions

I'm also wondering if one can get a 392 shaker in wide body trim. Also, with the 5.7 R/T, the announcement mentions a performance hood and new splitter so I'm thinking it may be the '15+ 392 SRT/T/A style hood and the Scat Pack splitter for the 5.7 cars.

Something else I'd like to know is if all Scat Packs get the Hellcat front facia or just the wide body cars...? What about the 5.7 and GT RWD cars, same front facia or Hellcat?

#23 ·
I'm also wondering if one can get a 392 shaker in wide body trim. Also, with the 5.7 R/T, the announcement mentions a performance hood and new splitter so I'm thinking it may be the '15+ 392 SRT/T/A style hood and the Scat Pack splitter for the 5.7 cars.

Something else I'd like to know is if all Scat Packs get the Hellcat front facia or just the wide body cars...? What about the 5.7 and GT RWD cars, same front facia or Hellcat?
I ordered a Scat Pack with the widebody option on 6/30. The shaker package was not available with the widebody option.

#17 ·
Think the 6.4 badge was probably designed to do two things- make it different enough from the 392 that those who “know” could spot it at a distance... and to provide ammo in the measuring contest for the ford/chevy crowd with the same unit of measurement.

What I want to know is, what will a 426 badge look like, and will it stay retro/keep the styling influence.

#18 ·
I guarantee it will be retro. The whole reason for that specific displacement is nostalgia. I know the "392" is also a retro displacement but not nearly as iconic as the Gen II 426. I suspect Dodge found a workable displacement and noticed it was close enough to 392 so they went with it.

#19 ·
It seems that only the wodebody will get the Hellcat front facia but the standard Scat Packs will still get the Hellcat hood. **Also, it appears that the 5.7 R/Ts and GTs will get the old SRT 392/TA hood now.**

#22 ·
At first I was just guessing based of the wording of Dodge's 2019 press release but then I saw the option sheets RS posted on another forum and sure enough, they're just "water-falling" all kinds of parts to the lower trim levels. I have to say, I'm glad they're putting the Hellcat facia on the SP widebody because I've never been a fan of the split '71 style grill on these cars with the smaller R/T badge. That has now been fixed on the SP widebody.

Attachments

#26 ·
These are the prices and options from the order guide:

Scat Pack $38,995
Destination $1,345
Gas Guzzler $1,000 (M6)
Widebody $6,000
A8 Automatic $1,595
Adaptive Damping $995 (std Widebody)
Alpine Audio Group $895
Brake Calipers - Red $495
Driver Convenience Group $1,095
Dynamics Package $2,200
Dynamics with T/A $1,095
Engine Block Heater $95
Harman Kardon Audio $1,595
Hood Pins $425
Interior Appearance Group $475
Plus Package $1,695
Power Sunroof $1,195
Rear Seat Delete $1
SRT Rear Spoiler $695
Scat Pack Stripe $495
Shaker Stripes $495
Shakedown Stripes $495
Shaker Package $2,500
Strut Tower Brace $695
T/A Package $3,400
Technology Group $495 M6
Technology Group $1,295 A8
Tires - 245 Summer $395
Tires - 275 Summer $695
Tires - 305 Summer $595
Wheels - Forged WRT $1,095
Uconnect 8.4 NAV $795

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#38 ·
From the FCA news release: "When combined with the Air Catcher headlamp and an inlet near the wheel liner, these three sources give the SRT Hellcat Redeye’s high-output engine an 18 percent greater air-flow rate than last year’s SRT Hellcat engine (1,134 cubic feet per minute). At full power, this is the equivalent flow rate to 89 adults simultaneously emptying their lungs in 1 second."

I wonder if Luke from Steve White will be able to tell us if we can buy and add this inlet setup to our non-Hellcat cars, like we can the Hellcat Airbox?

#41 ·
Good question ....

"Deals" happen when there are too many cars sitting on the dealer's lot. Since the SRT 392 hasn't been a high-production model, supply-and-demand might work against you.

The demand part depends if buyers want to be able to say they own an SRT or if they'd rather say they own an R/T Scat Pack ..... because the 2019 version of the 2018 SRT 392 will be the R/T Scat Pack.

#46 ·
I gotta say, I liked it when the SRT was the top of the food chain. Makes me wonder what my future holds.

2015 SRT 392
Every option including Power Sunroof and Sepia interior.
3 years old and only 20k miles.
Garage'd, no damage...not even a door ding! Otherwise...bone stock. ( I wanted it that way)
Broken in via recommendations.
Maintenance done on schedule at the Dealership for documentation purposes. ( hard to deny when it's in the Dealerships own records)

From top of the line to irrelevant in one fell swoop.

I feel like I've done everything right only to have the rug pulled out through no fault of my own.

What's going to happen to my cars value? I wonder.

#51 ·
You can't tear my 2015 SRT from my hands..........well, maybe if I looked again at the Hellcat Redeye.....................................

Reactions: jakoye23 and Litdog
#52 ·
Honestly, anyone who purchases a particular Challenger model/trim for the sole purpose of having the most prestigious car is missing the point. These are Muscle Cars... They were meant to be mean, gritty, street brawlers with weekend 1/4 mile strip duty if the owner so desired. It should be about fun, not resale value or hierarchy. Bragging rights should be about hp and time slips. Personally, that's why I've always liked the Scat Packs over the SRT 392s. They seemed to capture the true spirit of the Muscle Car. SRTs remind me of the vintage Olds 442s or Buick GS; the "gentleman's hotrod" of our time.... Cool, but not as down to earth as I'd prefer. Just my humble opinion.

#53 ·
Do you have your pink with you???.........:grin2:

#56 ·
look at all those Anniversary 2002 Camaros, Many people bought them and put them away. Now Barrett Jackson gets them with 200 miles and 600 miles, and they are lucky to get the sticker price for them. So in 16 years they made the sticker money on back and the owner never used them..And Chevy was the one saying future classic.

#58 · (Edited)
Part of it is there's a lot of Gen 4 F-bodies rolling around and unless buyers get interested in those, prices are running kind of flat.

They ran from '93 to '02 and were getting rather dated. Big on the outside and somewhat cramped on the interior

#64 ·
My prediction for future - the 2016, 2019 Camaro will not age well styling wise.

Despite the track numbers and the Nurburgring, and all this ballyhoo about the "sports car" performance - its not an attractively styled car.

Very busy, lumpy / bumpy styling and proportions - maybe a replay of the latter years of the 4th Gen. Regarded in the day, but the styling didn't hold up.

If the sales declines over the years points to something - those years aren't going to be that popular.

The Mustang, despite the comments from the loyalists, looks much better. I like the '18 extension that resolves the front end more vs. the chopped off blunt look of the prior version

#65 ·
Yup........the last "good looking" Camaro was the 3rd Gen.......though the hard lines and lack of curves could be called too 80s for some.

Ultimately you can't go wrong with the truly "pretty" Camaro era which last had chrome bumpers. From '67-'73 the car was good IMO.......Crash standards ruined the clean lines for '74-'77......but in '78 and to '81 the car got it's good looks back even if the performance was pretty weak in stock trim.

Never under-estimate the potential of an emission era car......though.

This '79 looks DAMN good and it's no light weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.