Hard Start When Damp - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
2015 Challenger Information & Discussions This area is for general conversations about the 2015 Challengers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Hard Start When Damp

Hi all. I have a real aggravating issue. When the weather is damp my 2015 V6 Challenger is hard to start. But once it starts, smooth as glass! By hard I mean the starter may crank up to 12 times, then the engine struggles to fire. Then it will fire and run normally. Dealer say there are no codes stored. To further test, I have washed my car on nice dry days. Then when I go to restart in 2-4 hours, same issue! I am perplexed, and so are dealers. Any thought out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,786 Posts
How are you starting it? Press and releasing the starter button or holding it in? Ever try hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake to run the fuel pump first?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
How are you starting it? Press and releasing the starter button or holding it in? Ever try hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake to run the fuel pump first?

I have done it all, including remote start. Normally I press the button and as soon as it starts to crank I release. I have tried just holding it in but nothing changes. I have not tried to hit the button twice with my foot off the pedal. Early on a mechanic though it was a leaky injector, thought he found one injector that may be suspect, then replaced that injector. Nothing changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 PM

Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,786 Posts
You've got Tip Start so you should press the button once and it should crank and start by itself.

On the hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake, this runs the fuel pump and primes the fuel system so that could help figure out if you have a fuel or pressure problem.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
You've got Tip Start so you should press the button once and it should crank and start by itself.

On the hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake, this runs the fuel pump and primes the fuel system so that could help figure out if you have a fuel or pressure problem.

Understood! I was starting to focus on the dampness angle, either real or imagined. It is pouring here today and this morning I had one of those rough starts. Since then I tried the method you describe above. And it starts normally! I will do this for a few days and if I get no failures, its fuel pressure. I just need to get over why I have the issue predominately in wet weather.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

If it continues to start fine by priming the fuel system and only long cranks and stumbles in wet weather I would think it most likely is a wiring connector in the fuel pump or fuel pump relay or fuel pressure relay that is having a poor connection in damp weather. Its my best guess without seeing it in person.

Waiting for DAVE.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,573 Times in 2,711 Posts
Garage
Check the battery voltage when this happens too, could be something pulling the voltage down when it's wet

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP3985 View Post
If it continues to start fine by priming the fuel system and only long cranks and stumbles in wet weather I would think it most likely is a wiring connector in the fuel pump or fuel pump relay or fuel pressure relay that is having a poor connection in damp weather. Its my best guess without seeing it in person.
So now 2 days of multiple starts in wet and dry weather and first priming the fuel pump, and it start perfectly! I don't know what to think about this or how to correct it. This car has 40K miles on it. I don't see a reason why the fuel pump would have a lose connection or be faulty, but it is a car! Or why it is really bad in wet weather. Keep those suggestions coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > 2015 Challenger Information & Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode