24 hours in Rental 5.7/A8 Challenger - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
2015 to Current R/T & RT Plus Specific This area is for vehicle specific information about the 2015 and beyond R/T and the R/T Plus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 01:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Happy days!

2016 SRT 392, A8, Granite Crystal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fawls For This Useful Post:
jzink0883 (05-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:28 AM

Hal- if my 2012 Challenger RT has 400 ft/lbs. of torque, I can't feel it. Maybe it's the doggy 3.06 rear differential I got along with the 5 speed auto trans. I don't feel much power with this car until I rev it up past 4,500 rpm, maybe that's just a hemi thing. I'm used to General Motors V-8s with more torque right out of the gate.

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Customer Preferred Package 28J w/ Heated Leather Seats (awesome!) Automatic Transmission w/ MDS (24 mpg highway!) Super Track Pack (awesome!) Anti-spin Differential (only $100 bargain of the year!) HID Headlamps, Engine Block Heater (seemed like a good idea at the time...)
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Iron View Post
Hal- if my 2012 Challenger RT has 400 ft/lbs. of torque, I can't feel it. Maybe it's the doggy 3.06 rear differential I got along with the 5 speed auto trans. I don't feel much power with this car until I rev it up past 4,500 rpm, maybe that's just a hemi thing. I'm used to General Motors V-8s with more torque right out of the gate.
I would not have hesitated letting any family member drive the ‘17 R/T 5.7/A8/open-3.07 Challenger that I rented last year. The 5.7 was impressive, but not intimidating. I can understand why rental car companies have them.

I hesitate letting anyone, except my wife, drive the ‘18 R/T SP 6.2/A8/limited-slip-3.09 Challenger that we bought. The 6.4 is stupid-quick enough as to be almost intimidating. I can only imagine what the 6.2 cars feel like!

Maybe the 6.4 is significantly under-rated?

jzink0883
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
Quote:
I've only driven one 5.7 / A5 - that was before the 392 cam swap I did on a friend's car. Afterward, the next step was putting in the Blue Top solenoids to get the trans to respond better.

I didn't care much for the programming the A5 has in Dodge's applications. I have the same A5 in my 'Benz (and did the Blue Top AMG solenoid mods) and it feels way more responsive.

The A8 transmissions have more gear ratios and more gearing in the lower ranges over what the A5 had.

Peak torque in the (stock) 5.7 is @ 4,200 rpm and the engine runs out of breath 5,200 rpm (power peak). These short stroke engines like to rev.

IMO, the stock cam is what holds back the 5.7. Improve the breathing and this engine has potential

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:45 AM

Very true about the what posters said about the 5.7 vs the 6.4. I've had both and when you get into a 6.4 its amazing the additional power you notice - its a beast. More than enough for usable street power and your going to need a bigger set of tires at least in the rear to really take advantage of it. Hellcat? I can't imagine that much horsepower and to me unless you can use it - its a waste of money. I love the Hellcat don't get me wrong but … your paying a premium purchasing it, and paying for it daily and rarely can use its tremendous hp. Just my .02 - good luck.

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:07 AM

Hal- "IMO, the stock cam is what holds back the 5.7. Improve the breathing and this engine has potential"

I think you may be right on that. The only addition I have made to the RT is an AFE intake kit. The newest carbon fiber one I got, the tube is about six inches diameter at the airbox, and it curves in with a nice radius to the intake, so should be more airflow, we hope. The cone filter is humongo size, eight inches, and open on the ends as well, so should take in more air. I got the dry filter version. Will be cracking the car out soon so I'll see how it performs.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Hal- "I have the same A5 in my 'Benz (and did the Blue Top AMG solenoid mods) and it feels way more responsive."

What year is your Benz, and tell me about the solenoid mods?
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Hal- "I have the same A5 in my 'Benz (and did the Blue Top AMG solenoid mods) and it feels way more responsive."

What year is your Benz, and tell me about the solenoid mods?
its an '01 Daimler had the A5 tranny in production from '91 through '12 models (many of the V12 and AMG models still used the A5 as it had greater torque capacity over the A7 that succeeded it.

The 2 solenoids (Modulating Pressure & Shift Pressure) used in AMG applications allowed faster / firmer shifts as well as quicker responses (downshifting and holding gear) during cornering, hard deceleration and harder acceleration over the standard ones.

The part # 240 270 00 89 for them. Various vendors sell these online.

It requires draining fluid, removing the valve body / conductor plate to install them
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 PM

I own a 2018 SP and have rented 2018 & 19 SXT, GT and RT in the past couple of months for work. (Very happy about rental companies having a selection of Challengers and Chargers). All are great drivers but, there is a big step up from the V6 to Hemi RT and a big performance jump thense to the 392. While I own SP, I could get along with the smaller RT hemi if I had gone that way. I also find the Charger to be easier to drive due to a higher view point. Challenger is not difficult but, Charger has better visibility over the hood and fenders.

I enjoy scrolling through the performance pages on the rentals. The Hemi RT registered a top speed of 158 and a sub 14 on the quarter timer. The GT registered 135 top speed and mid 14s on the quarter and, IIR, 5.1 on the 60 timer. People really "drive them like rentals". My timers all have the factory zero but, I won't mention my top speed in gentle company. The STX and GT rent for normal full size rates while the RTs may go a couple dollars more per day. Chatting at Enterprise while picking up a Challenger last month, I mentioned I try for the Challengers and Chargers to match controls of my car. Told the guy I drive a SP and he excitedly told me they charge $150 a day but they won't let him rent one - must be 25 or 26 for the RT and SP.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 PM

Hal- how big a job for the mechanic to replace the two solenoids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific > 2015 to Current R/T & RT Plus Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode