SXT + Brake Upgrades - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
2015 to Current SXT & SXT Plus This section is for discusions about the 2015 and beyond SXT & SXT Plus Challengers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
SXT + Brake Upgrades

I have a 2016 SXT Plus with 65k miles on it. OE brakes are doing fine, but I imagine I'll need to replace the pads soon, and when I get that done, I'm thinking of also replacing the rotors with "upgraded" ones. Here's a few questions I have:

1. Was thinking about slotted and/or drilled rotors, but am also hearing of a lot of problems with the aftermarket ones, unless you spend big A$$ money on them and I don't see any need for that on an SXT.
2. Anyone have the new rotors that are all black?
3. What are good rotor companies: Centric, Powerstop, etc.?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

I'm watching this. I'm probably not far from a front brake pad replacement.

I have NO complaints about my brakes, but... If anyone knows of an improvement over stock, I'll listen.

2016 SXT+ Airaid CAI. Fastman ported throttle body. Bright pedals. Billet Technology catch can. Petty front shock tower brace. 1 of 524 Plumb-crazy SXT's for 2016.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM

SXT + Brake Upgrades

No rotor will stay all black as that is just a coating. The center hub will stay black, but as you use the brakes the coating on the rest of the disc will go back to metallic.

I recommend slotted brakes. Those are what give you the extra bite. Drilled not necessary

R1 concepts offers good rotors and a fair price. Tell them u are a forum member they gave me 10% off
The Following User Says Thank You to trippytro For This Useful Post:
RockanRoll (04-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,336 Times in 969 Posts
Garage
I just replaced all four rotors (and brake pads) on the Bacon Hauler, and I had to do a bunch of research just to make sure I got the correct sized rotors for my particular application (cop brakes are a strange animal; bigger than most but not as big as some, blah, blah, blah). Anyway, I learned a couple things that may of use:

1) the majority of rotors for sale at local auto parts stores are made by just a few companies, despite what name they might be sold under locally.
2) there is a general consensus among self-proclaimed learned individuals on the internet that there is a definite difference between the various levels of rotors in each company's product line, i.e. you really do get what you pay for with brake rotors.
3) it is easier to increase brake system performance by going larger and keeping the fluid fresh than it is by spending more money on the same size and running old/dirty fluid.

The first one up there will come into play if you're shopping around to compare prices. There are a hundred different brands, but if you pay close attention to the part numbers, you'll see some repeating patterns that can be used to identify the equivalent rotor lines between each brand. They'll have nearly identical part numbers, differing by some prefix of 2 or 3 letters only usually.

The second one is a conclusion I reached after reading a heck of a lot of posts on the topic among several different forums. As a general rule, you can assign relative quality among rotors just like they are grouped on RockAuto's website - the Economy line is cheap and most likely to warp or have out of spec runout right out of the box. Daily Drivers are a little better, and so on.

The third is pretty self-explanatory. If you are after a true increase in braking system performance (shorter distance, longer to fade from heat, etc.), increasing the size of the rotors (and pads if necessary) and the number of pistons per caliper is the best way to do it. A more expensive and even higher quality rotor in the same size will not yield as much of an improved performance as going larger.

And no matter what, keeping the fluid changed at the recommended interval is absolutely imperative to an optimally operating braking system, there's no two ways about that one. It doesn't matter if you run DOT3 or DOT4, running fresh is what matters most.

And that's about it. I realize i didn't do much in the way of answering your specific questions, but i don't really have any answers for them. But i did have the info above and figured it could be useful enough to go ahead and post it.

Good luck with the brakes!
Nuke

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 PM

Garage
Following out of general interest to the topic.

2018 Challenger R/T
White Knuckle Exterior
R/T Plus Package 28D
Sound Group II
Performance Handling Group
8-Speed Automatic
Power Sunroof
Uconnect 4C Nav
20"x9" Hyper Black Wheels
Red (Brembo) Brake Calipers
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread 05-15-2019, 10:13 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Been happy with my recent ebc brake kit don’t get drilled those are prone to cracking. But yes the black is just a coating to keep surface rust off instead of using oil coating. As you can see started black then after a drive it started to take the coating off where the pads rub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BB927B3-993F-4C18-ABBD-9CFC8DBBF477_1557936766621.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	645.0 KB
ID:	945713   Click image for larger version

Name:	9BB20AE7-C926-40A3-AFA5-EFD57297F5F0_1557936789958.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	586.8 KB
ID:	945715  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific > 2015 to Current SXT & SXT Plus

Tags
brakes upgrade , drilled slotted , rotors , sxt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in