hello from Ohio - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
New Member Introductions If you are new to the site please create a thread in here to say hi. We encourage all of the members who are 'lurking' and reading about the Dodge Challenger to post in this section at least once!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
hello from Ohio

Just joined, but have been a lurker for awhile. I'm currently on my 3rd Mustang and looking for something different. I started seriously looking at Challengers a little over a year ago and wanted to get a Scat Pack. I just recently test drove an R/T, a SP and a 1320. I also am considering a 18 Camaro SS as they have good sales on now and I like the way they perform, but know the Challenger would be easier to live with for a year round DD. I really can't decide what I want to get. I found a couple low mileage 18 SRT's that I think would be perfect, but they are a distance away and a little over priced on one of those car buying services. I wanted to stay at no more than 40k, but that looks to be a stretch for what I want. I do have a couple grand equity in my Mustang, so that may help. But what I want is a auto 392 in red, go mango, F8 or F5 with leather and NAV as must haves, would also like red calipers and upgraded radio.

I know a new SP would be the best bet, but just some minor things I don't like like the bee logos and the fact you can only get red interior with certain colors. I would much rather get white or tan, but only available in the Camaro and Mustang. I also like the T/A, but a bit pricey for a 392. I really like everything about the SRT, but not sure if its worth it to pay a little more for the ones I found and still be technically used (although they are basically new with less than 3.5k miles). If any of you have any advice on what direction to go or where else I could look for a new left over or low mileage used SRT at a reasonable price, let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medsport View Post
Just joined, but have been a lurker for awhile. I'm currently on my 3rd Mustang and looking for something different. I started seriously looking at Challengers a little over a year ago and wanted to get a Scat Pack. I just recently test drove an R/T, a SP and a 1320. I also am considering a 18 Camaro SS as they have good sales on now and I like the way they perform, but know the Challenger would be easier to live with for a year round DD. I really can't decide what I want to get. I found a couple low mileage 18 SRT's that I think would be perfect, but they are a distance away and a little over priced on one of those car buying services. I wanted to stay at no more than 40k, but that looks to be a stretch for what I want. I do have a couple grand equity in my Mustang, so that may help. But what I want is a auto 392 in red, go mango, F8 or F5 with leather and NAV as must haves, would also like red calipers and upgraded radio.

I know a new SP would be the best bet, but just some minor things I don't like like the bee logos and the fact you can only get red interior with certain colors. I would much rather get white or tan, but only available in the Camaro and Mustang. I also like the T/A, but a bit pricey for a 392. I really like everything about the SRT, but not sure if its worth it to pay a little more for the ones I found and still be technically used (although they are basically new with less than 3.5k miles). If any of you have any advice on what direction to go or where else I could look for a new left over or low mileage used SRT at a reasonable price, let me know.

Well my .02 - search for a used SP. You can get one in the 30's with low mileage. Just take it to a good mechanic before buying. But it sounds as though your still not committed to one car or the other. Got to get there first before you can search for the right monster. Just looking on Cargurus there are a ton of great deals on SP's, SRT 392's and Hellcats. Should have no problem finding a great car within your budget. Good luck.

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Clevetown; 05-12-2019 at 05:59 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks, but I don't want a used SP. I almost pulled the trigger on a 1320 on Friday. After several hours, I got them down to around 41k from 47. I probably would have taken it if it was any other color than black or had the red interior. I wasn't too sure I really wanted to deal with the slicks for a daily either. Like I said, I think I want the SRT, just not sure its worth the extra monthly payment at the mid-40's asking price for a used car. I think I could settle for a new 18 Camaro in the mid-to-upper 30's range. There is one right down the street in my favorite exterior color, but it has the black interior and some scuff marks on the inside of the door (I know I'm being picky). I'm also thinking of the 19 with the better trans, but just can't seem to get over the front end as the 18 looks much better IMO. I may end up waiting for the 20 Camaro and also see if Dodge offers anything different for the SP. I did hear that they are coming out with a brass monkey package, but that is basically just the SRT wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 AM

Well my friend decisions decisions - but fun one's! Again with all due respect your a little all over the map at the moment. But I noticed 2 things in your reply, you'll buy a used Camaro but not a used SP, and you'll SETTLE. Don't settle, and determine if you want new or used. Me regardless of money, will never take the new car hit - that is a waste of your money. Buying a car that is used and in excellent shape - your getting the car without the inflated shine on the price. Let it depreciate - it will lose 20% of its value in the first year alone. Again good luck - you'll love whatever you buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clevetown For This Useful Post:
silver scat (05-13-2019)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:22 AM

Garage
I'm in North Central Ohio.

You're right, you don't want drag radials or even summer only tires for a daily year round driver.

I liked the Camaro and the Mustang. They are great cars. But they are both really small and the backseats are basically unusable for anyone over 5.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevetown View Post
Well my friend decisions decisions - but fun one's! Again with all due respect your a little all over the map at the moment. But I noticed 2 things in your reply, you'll buy a used Camaro but not a used SP, and you'll SETTLE. Don't settle, and determine if you want new or used. Me regardless of money, will never take the new car hit - that is a waste of your money. Buying a car that is used and in excellent shape - your getting the car without the inflated shine on the price. Let it depreciate - it will lose 20% of its value in the first year alone. Again good luck - you'll love whatever you buy.

Maybe I didn't clarify. The two Camaros I'm thinking about are brand new 18's, although they may have 100 or so miles on them from test drives. They are both 2SS auto. The one down the street is garnet with black stripes, sunroof, ect on sale for 36k (MSRP 48k), the other one I'm thinking about is 4 hours away Its a hyper blue with white stripe and ceramic interior and MRC on sale for 39k (MSRP 49k). The SRT's I'm thinking about are used with around 3k miles. One is go mango for 46k and there are a coupe torreds for 44k, one has red interior and the other black. They come pretty much loaded already with MSRP's around 52k. One issue with the SRT's (except for one of them) is they are a distance away at one of those no haggle car buying services and I would have to pay to have them transport it to Ohio and won't know what they will give for my trade until they look at it. Also the finance rate probably wouldn't be that great if I went with them so I would either try to find my own first or refinance soon after. btw, my past 3 cars were new and I traded them all in within 1.5-3 years and have always broken even. This time I actually have a little equity. The 0% interest for 72m loan I got on my Mustang helped and one of the reasons I'm not in a hurry to get something unless its a really good deal.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 AM

Welcome to the forum.

2014 SRT Core - 12.091 @ 114.03 mph
2010 R/T - PB 12.87 Traded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know my car runs 10's because I once beat a guy who said his car runs 11's.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,776 Times in 2,856 Posts
Garage
Welcome from California

A Guy

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 AM

Welcome from NH

First off I don’t keep my cars very long, always something better out there it seems. I’ve owned several Mustangs, 2 Cobras, 2 Shelbys and a ZL1 Camaro. All very good cars, some fantastic performers I might add. No real issues with any of them. After listening to way too many narrow minded people I took the plunge and bought my first Challenger a loaded T/A 392. I really like this bad boy. It has a nice comfortable interior, a performance level that will probably satisfy many performance enthusiast. After several hundred miles of at times spirited driving, I have no negatives about this car to share with you. Good luck with your search.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Welcome to the forum from NC!

Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > New Member Introductions & Site Assistance > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« Kingleo49 | Hi
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode