2011 Inaugural SRT8 - 6.4L Lifter Bearings Bad - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2011 Inaugural SRT8 - 6.4L Lifter Bearings Bad

I received some bad news today from the dealership. I started hearing a squealing belt sound when I first start the car and it goes away after about 5 minutes. I took it into the dealer and they say it's an issue with Lifter bearings. They said I have to have the engine fixed or replaced at a cost of about $6,000. The car has 87K miles and I've always replaced the oil with Penzoil 0-40 after about 7 to 10K miles.

Can it be fixed by replacing cam and lifters? Or will there likely be more problems on the horizon?

Should the entire engine be replaced?

Should I trade it in for a new one?

I'm not so sure about Dodge anymore, this is very unsettling.....

Who around Jacksonville, Florida besides the dealer can do this kind of work on a 6.4 392?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:17 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Call Scott

One of the best and most honest you will get

http://www.americanmuscleperformance.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 SRT
MAGNUSON TVS 2300 12LB BLOWER WITH ARRINGTON PERFORMANCE TUNED & DROP IN PISTONS AND RODS, KOOKS LONG TUBE HEADERS
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS,
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD W/ AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:31 PM

Thanked 4,299 Times in 2,682 Posts
Garage
A second opinion never hurts, especially with a potential major issue like this.

I don't know how good your dealer or tech is, but several things need to be looked at to determine what damage has been done, and options that can be taken for a good repair.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
The car has 87K miles and I've always replaced the oil with Penzoil 0-40 after about 7 to 10K miles.

Can it be fixed by replacing cam and lifters? Or will there likely be more problems on the horizon?

Who around Jacksonville, Florida besides the dealer can do this kind of work on a 6.4 392?
Your oil changes should be 6K max intervals on the 6.4

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I received some bad news today from the dealership. I started hearing a squealing belt sound when I first start the car and it goes away after about 5 minutes. I took it into the dealer and they say it's an issue with Lifter bearings. They said I have to have the engine fixed or replaced at a cost of about $6,000. The car has 87K miles and I've always replaced the oil with Penzoil 0-40 after about 7 to 10K miles.

Personally I would NOT just swap out the cam and lifters. Once there is metal throughout the engine from a failed component there is usually damage throughout the engine from the metal shavings circulating through the oil. If they will install a new one for 6k that is a good deal. That is if they will let you have your old one. You could then sell the parts off of your existing and recoup some of the funds. That is if you are in a position to be able to strip the old engine down... Just a thought anyway. Either way I would go new or total rebuild.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Thanked 4,299 Times in 2,682 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloud View Post
Quote:

Personally I would NOT just swap out the cam and lifters. Once there is metal throughout the engine from a failed component there is usually damage throughout the engine from the metal shavings circulating through the oil. If they will install a new one for 6k that is a good deal. That is if they will let you have your old one. You could then sell the parts off of your existing and recoup some of the funds. That is if you are in a position to be able to strip the old engine down... Just a thought anyway. Either way I would go new or total rebuild.
McCloud, if it's determined that there is major lifter/cam lobe damage, I would tend to agree with Stinger.

If you really love this car, and plan on keeping it, I would highly consider a factory crate motor..

Easy in/out swap with some warranty on the crate unit.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Something doesn't sound right here, either its how it you are explaining or how they explained it to you, but my spidey sense is saying you need to go get a second opinion. Lifters don't make a squealing sound....PERIOD.

Go get a second opinion for another dealership or reputable repair shop.

Just my two cents....
Good luck.
-Kenny

*Tug* 2014 100th Anniversary R/T Plus

The Following User Says Thank You to KennyLives For This Useful Post:
John Matthews (11-05-2018)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Garage
sounds odd as well for a failed lifter symptoms. your gripe does sound like a suspect AC compressor clutch or something along the lines of something in the accessory drive/pulley/belt.

is your car an automatic? if so the MDS lifters are a known problem especially past 80k miles, read here:

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...er-cam-652290/

If there is bearing failure somewhere in the engine, DO NOT just change the lifters and cam or you will be doing this again in short time. At a minimum the engine needs to be tore down to the bare block and hot tanked to remove all the debris. The crankshaft needs hot tanked/polishing, definitely need to inspect the cam, along with replacing all bearings, lifters, and the oil pump needs to be replaced as well.

15 Sublime SRT 392, M6, with just a little extra boost

Last edited by SRT Andy; 11-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 AM

"...I've always replaced the oil with Penzoil 0-40 after about 7 to 10K miles."

Are you kidding or what? 6,000 mile interval is the absolute max for oil change with synthetic. I never go more than 3,000 miles with conventional. You need to change the oil more often, as Hal said. That's issue one here.

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Customer Preferred Package 28J w/ Heated Leather Seats (awesome!) Automatic Transmission w/ MDS (24 mpg highway!) Super Track Pack (awesome!) Anti-spin Differential (only $100 bargain of the year!) HID Headlamps, Engine Block Heater (seemed like a good idea at the time...)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:21 AM

We have almost identical problem, My 2012 SRT8 392 M6 is in dealership now, engine make some light knock noise, then I took it to the dealership, then I been told I need new cam and lifter, my car has 88k mile, and did oil change every 3500 miles, and this happen, luckily the warranty company finally covered this, or I need to pay $4000 to fix this, looks like these early model 392 do have some reliability issue?

2012 Challenger SRT8 White M6
1972 Cutlass Supreme Green 350/350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode