2019 Challenger Hellcat Thoughts? Couple Q's - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Thoughts? Couple Q's

All,

This is my first point but ive been an admirer of the Challenger ever since its most recent refresh and even more recently with the widebody addition. I have a youtube channel that talks about cars and i've mentioned the Challenger in a couple of my videos, most recently in a video where i share thoughts on what a bargain the current Hellcat is. Just a couple questions related to the Challenger i'd like to get a true perspective of from real owners

How is the manual transmission in the hellcat? I have alot of experience with the Shelby GT350, anyone out there that can compare the two.

Anyone with the cloth seats (houndstooth) regret it? Leather a better option? From what i felt, the structure of the seat is the same as the leather seat? Can anyone confirm?

Finally, if anyone is interested in checking out some of my video's, please feel free to visit my channel page on YouTube, just search for DriveSteady. Open to feedback directly or in the comments.

Appreciate everyone's time.
The Following User Says Thank You to DriveSteady For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (04-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveSteady View Post

Anyone with the cloth seats (houndstooth) regret it? Leather a better option? From what i felt, the structure of the seat is the same as the leather seat? Can anyone confirm?
Do you want heated/cooled seats? Otherwise, cloth is fine.

Here's the HC subforum: https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f290/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Hellcat
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveSteady View Post
All,

This is my first point but ive been an admirer of the Challenger ever since its most recent refresh and even more recently with the widebody addition. I have a youtube channel that talks about cars and i've mentioned the Challenger in a couple of my videos, most recently in a video where i share thoughts on what a bargain the current Hellcat is. Just a couple questions related to the Challenger i'd like to get a true perspective of from real owners

How is the manual transmission in the hellcat? I have alot of experience with the Shelby GT350, anyone out there that can compare the two.

Finally, if anyone is interested in checking out some of my video's, please feel free to visit my channel page on YouTube, just search for DriveSteady. Open to feedback directly or in the comments.

Appreciate everyone's time.
The Tremec transmission is the same as the Shelby GT350 - so it will be familiar. The Challenger uses a remote
mount shifter vs. the Ford installation which uses a tail shaft housing extension mount, so the shifter mechnisms are slightly different between how Ford vs. Dodge implements it.

For the Laguna leather (full leather vs. the alcantara "suede" & leather):

The '19s have been de-contented as far as standard equipment.

So to add:
Laguna leather $1,759

you must add:
Plus Package: $1,695
-adds power tilt / telescope feature

and also add:
Driver Conv. Grp $ 1,095
-adds HID headlights
-adds blind spot / cross path detection

all those items will add to resale value - if you plan to sell in a few years down the road.

The starting price is lower than prior years, but a lot of std. equipment is now extra cost for '19+ models

The prices work out the same as the '18 and earlier when you add options back in.

Other items such as:

-Harmon Kardon audio
-Navigation

are also extra-cost options that used to be standard in SRT models

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:58 AM

Thanked 3,704 Times in 2,786 Posts
One issue with the Hellcat M6 is the ratios. It uses the road race ratios like Viper but the Hellcat is a lot heavier, and combined with the 3.70 axle it's like starting in 2nd gear compared to the 392 M6 with a 3.90 gear. The clutch is a heavier and slightly larger and it does seem to hold up for the most part but those standing starts are hard on that clutch with those bad ratios.

Does the GT 350 use the TR-3160 trans? If so, it has a 3.25 1st gear compared to the Hellcat 2.26, yeah a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
One issue with the Hellcat M6 is the ratios. It uses the road race ratios like Viper but the Hellcat is a lot heavier, and combined with the 3.70 axle it's like starting in 2nd gear compared to the 392 M6 with a 3.90 gear. The clutch is a heavier and slightly larger and it does seem to hold up for the most part but those standing starts are hard on that clutch with those bad ratios.

Does the GT 350 use the TR-3160 trans? If so, it has a 3.25 1st gear compared to the Hellcat 2.26, yeah a huge difference.

Good intel!

2015 Scatpack 392 M6
Black/black
Stainless Works LT Headers
High flow cats
Resonator delete
274 Comp Cam with vvt limiter
Arrington 84 mm throttle body
Barton short throw shifter
Unlocked PCM
Diablo Sport Tuner
HHP Tune
Mopar CAI
Mopar front/rear strut tower braces
Speedlogix SS eliminator
Black lug nuts with Hellcat center caps
Mopar Performance Lowering Springs
Hellcat ram air intake
Hellcat red start button
275 Nittos
Heated/Ventilated seats

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post

additional info:

GT350 is 3.73:1 final drive with 305/35 19" rear tires

Hellcats have tires that range from 1.25" to 1" difference it diameter (taller) than the Mustang with std body / Wide Body tires

HC std tire: 275/40 20
HC WB tire: 305/35 20

Last edited by Hal H; 04-17-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in