2019 SP Widebody Headlights - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:13 PM

Thanked 3,699 Times in 2,781 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by olscool View Post
I have the alcantara seats and the DCG. The car has HIDs but the beam doesnt go too far past the bumper from the drivers seat. When I got out and looked you can definitely tell they are HIDs as well.
Sorry, there has to be an issue, these HID lights are incredibly bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
The only trim level [since '15] is the SRTs up through '18.

Now to have lower starting prices, many items are optional - even on the SRT Hellcat. You have to order Driver's Convenience Grp to get HIDs
-otherwise a no option $62.2 'Cat has cloth seats, M6, and just the basic std items.
Yes I had them standard on the SRT in 16 and they are just great, now a Hellcat and everything is like an SXT again, even cloth seats on a Hellcat now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven_sbs View Post
For the stupid question of the day, did you actually get out of the car and see that the lights were on? Could they be misaligned and pointed down not out? Could there be a wiring problem and the lights are in fact dim? (Hey, come on, someone has to ask the stupid questions around here.)
LMAO....I agree they need to be asked.

From the outside they seem ok but the length of the beam isnt impressive. I looked mainly to verify the low beams were working.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:02 PM

Thanked 3,699 Times in 2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olscool View Post
LMAO....I agree they need to be asked.

From the outside they seem ok but the length of the beam isnt impressive. I looked mainly to verify the low beams were working.
There's really no low or high beams on these HIDs, they are always on bright and an electric shutter raises and lowers to provide the correct high or low beam. Maybe something has gone wrong with this system. You can leave the engine off and work the high and low beams and should hear the shutters clunking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slidd For This Useful Post:
olscool (04-19-2019), SpeedShift (04-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
There's really no low or high beams on these HIDs, they are always on bright and an electric shutter raises and lowers to provide the correct high or low beam. Maybe something has gone wrong with this system. You can leave the engine off and work the high and low beams and should hear the shutters clunking.

This is a excellent tip! I will try it tonight.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,332 Times in 2,551 Posts
Garage
there are adjusters to raise / lower the beam - I wonder if that wasn't set right.

The HIDs throw plenty of beam and they're bright

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:36 PM

I've had a few Infinitis and they had terrible lighting ... it always appeared as if the headlights were pointed to the ground... I had like 20feet of visibility and then just a very pronounced cutoff into darkness..... hmmm ... Between the the rock chips issue on the widebody and poor visibility from the headlights .... I hope I made the right decision ordering mine...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
I've had a few Infinitis and they had terrible lighting ... it always appeared as if the headlights were pointed to the ground... I had like 20feet of visibility and then just a very pronounced cutoff into darkness..... hmmm ... Between the the rock chips issue on the widebody and poor visibility from the headlights .... I hope I made the right decision ordering mine...
FWIW - I think my HID are bright as f***. I had buyers remorse after I ordered mine. I've been driving it for a couple weeks now and no more buyers remorse. I did PPF the nose, flares & lower 3rd of the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaFix For This Useful Post:
dbintegrity (04-19-2019)
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post
I can't believe they haven't made HID's stock by now. I own a 2015 with the HID's and they don't perform well at all compared to other cars.

The IIHS rated headlight viability a major issue for a lot of American car makers. The recently redesigned Charger has a terrible rating so I imagine ours are not better.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...rs-in-the-dark
I would agree that my 2015 SRT with those super headlights are amazing. I have the driver's convenience group and some amazing lights. Dodge did a good deal designing and aiming them in my opinion.

That said, I read your linked article in full. This scares me. I get it that we all want great headlights. But my concern is what has been happening out in the real world as I drive at night. Oncoming cars don't always approach on straight level pavement. There are constant dips and rises in almost every road in the country. As I'm driving, most newer cars can seriously blind me when their headlights point up just a few extra degrees due to irregularities in the road. Common fellas, ya gotta admit this: NEW HEADLIGHTS ARE INSANELY BRIGHT WHEN FOR WHATEVER REASON THE HEART OF THAT BEAM SHINES INTO THE EYES OF ONCOMING DRIVERS.

I find myself desperately looking for the white line just in front of my right front fender so I can stay in my lane. FORGET LOOKING STRAIGHT AHEAD... I can't see anything but what looks like aircraft landing lights ALL TOO OFTEN.

Add to this some cars have stupid bright lights even on level ground. I try flashing my lights, and when they do so as well, I find out that their lights are already on low beam. That doesn't help me a bit as I struggle to see the road.

This new focus on brighter headlights on all cars is creating a monster. The article points out that not all manufacturers are doing a good job at aiming these things. I can certainly agree. Night driving is fast becoming a NIGHT...MARE for me. Everybody seems to be happy that their own headlights are significantly brighter. My issue is that so many headlights on these newer vehicles are killing me.

Guessing I'm not alone here?

Last edited by garyahouse; 04-24-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:09 AM

^^I completely agree with you. So many headlights are WAY too bight nowadays. I completely get modding your cars to look better, etc - but I personally wish regular incandescent headlights were still the norm. They were just fine for a LONG time - why all of the sudden did they need to make headlights so "white" and "bright" that it blinds everyone else?!??! Maybe they help the driver see better, but they reudce the vision of everyone else becuase they blind them!

I don't know, maybe I'm just old (you know, the "I walked uphill to school - both ways - in the snow - with holes in my boots" kind of old)...
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janson View Post
I can't believe they haven't made HID's stock by now. I own a 2015 with the HID's and they don't perform well at all compared to other cars.

The IIHS rated headlight viability a major issue for a lot of American car makers. The recently redesigned Charger has a terrible rating so I imagine ours are not better.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...rs-in-the-dark
I would agree that my 2015 SRT with those super headlights are amazing. I have the driver's convenience group and some amazing lights. Dodge did a good deal designing and aiming them in my opinion.

That said, I read your linked article in full. This scares me. I get it that we all want great headlights. But my concern is what has been happening out in the real world as I drive at night. Oncoming cars don't always approach on straight level pavement. There are constant dips and rises in almost every road in the country. As I'm driving, most newer cars can seriously blind me when their headlights point up just a few extra degrees due to irregularities in the road. Common fellas, ya gotta admit this: NEW HEADLIGHTS ARE INSANELY BRIGHT WHEN FOR WHATEVER REASON THE HEART OF THAT BEAM SHINES INTO THE EYES OF ONCOMING DRIVERS.

I find myself desperately looking for the white line just in front of my right front fender so I can stay in my lane. FORGET LOOKING STRAIGHT AHEAD... I can't see anything but what looks like aircraft landing lights ALL TOO OFTEN.

Add to this some cars have stupid bright lights even on level ground. I try flashing my lights, and when they do so as well, I find out that their lights are already on low beam. That doesn't help me a bit as I struggle to see the road.

This new focus on brighter headlights on all cars is creating a monster. The article points out that not all manufacturers are doing a good job at aiming these things. I can certainly agree. Night driving is fast becoming a NIGHT...MARE for me. Everybody seems to be happy that their own headlights are significantly brighter. My issue is that so many headlights on these newer vehicles are killing me.

Guessing I'm not alone here?
you are indeed sir not alone!

I struggle with this exact thing constantly.

I despise driving at night for this exact reason. Way too often I have to watch the runway stripes in the look away from where I should be able to live for safety.

2008 Challenger SRT8
First Edition 1101-6400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Matte Grey Paint Job

Black Tinted Marker's & Tailight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode