426 to replace 392 for SRT - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,023 Times in 717 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob446 View Post
In stock form the current 392 Hemi kicks the ever lovin snot out of the old 426 Hemi. New 426 Hemi with another 35 CI, 35 - 50 HP and 35 lb/ft of torque should should widen the gap considerably.
That's debatable. It's fairly well known that the Gen II 426 Hemi was underrated at 425HP and was really putting out around 500 (brake)HP. While the technology isn't on par with the Gen III Hemis, the power was probably about the same as the current 392.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Go Mango Scat Pack 6 speed with a Speedlogix catch can.
Other current car: 1966 Mustang GT coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,023 Times in 717 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctm81 View Post
Will be very difficult to achieve if they stick to OHV technology.
Not if you consider what a NA Arrington or Petty built 426 stroker is putting out. That seams to be the norm. Now, I will admit their builds don't take into account fleet emissions etc. but it is a realistic measuring stick in my opinion.
http://www.shophemi.com/p-2572-arrin...ort-block.aspx

Last edited by MuscleCarProf; 05-17-2018 at 09:49 PM.
post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 PM

426 makes sense for SRT model. Displacement waters are quite muddy with Scat and SRT sharing the same platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
What about the guys who bought a 6.1 in 2008-2010? This great engine will be pushed back to 5th place!
Good point, I sold mine last summer but the 6.1 still gets my vote for the best looking NA Hemi.

Johnnymopar
2009 SRT8 SS 6spd.
Bought June 2009 - Sold August 2017
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Plymouth GTX - current project
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 11:12 PM

Garage
I think it's a good move even though Hellcats and Demons are SRTs. SRT was being skipped over by many with Scat packs and then the RT 392, after all with SRT power the reasons for many buyers were too few to pay the upgraded price for an SRT.

Lots of model choices now but I guess the TA will be dropped by the time the 426 SRT arrives.

426 Hemi. What a sight to see that will be on a Challenger after 50 years. (49 after the last ones).
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarProf View Post
Not if you consider what a NA Arrington or Petty built 426 stroker is putting out. That seams to be the norm. Now, I will admit their builds don't take into account fleet emissions etc. but it is a realistic measuring stick in my opinion.
Arrington 426 Short Block - shopHEMI.com
Pretty easy to do with a 392 as well. Don't see how this would be a problem at all with OHV. It has to get some kind of power bump over the 392 or what is the point?

2014 R/T M6 - Granite Crystal
LMI True CAI V2, MM 87mm Ported TB, Port matched intake manifold, JBA Long Tube Headers, JBA midpies w/ Cat delete, SLP loudmouth I, 180 TStat, Custom Tune by Heldenburg's, Staggered TSW Tremblant on Nitto NT555 G2, KW Suspension Coilovers
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarProf View Post
That's debatable. It's fairly well known that the Gen II 426 Hemi was underrated at 425HP and was really putting out around 500 (brake)HP. While the technology isn't on par with the Gen III Hemis, the power was probably about the same as the current 392.
Yeah, there were a lot of "old school engines" that don't even come close to modern power levels but the 426 Hemi did as did Chevy's 427s. The real ADVANTAGE of new over old? MPG and general drive-ability.

Stock Class Drag Racing shows the capability of well tuned Big Blocks from the past......you'd hate driving these cars to work everyday. Finding decent gas that would allow them to "live" with their higher compression and a complete lack of detonation control...... is near impossible today beyond "race gas" available at the track......and even if you could source good gas the MPG would horrify you.

BUT........ the L88 427 from Chevy and Chrysler's 426 Hemi brought the power.....

Here's your proof. Stock class racing allows tuning and any gear ratio you can make work that was available back in the day.......but these cars run stock specs from the air cleaners down and out the exhaust manifolds. When in the hands of people who know how to drive and tune 'em this is what you get.

post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA 392 YJ View Post
Yeah, there were a lot of "old school engines" that don't even come close to modern power levels but the 426 Hemi did as did Chevy's 427s. The real ADVANTAGE of new over old? MPG and general drive-ability.

Stock Class Drag Racing shows the capability of well tuned Big Blocks from the past......you'd hate driving these cars to work everyday. Finding decent gas that would allow them to "live" with their higher compression and a complete lack of detonation control...... is near impossible today beyond "race gas" available at the track......and even if you could source good gas the MPG would horrify you.

BUT........ the L88 427 from Chevy and Chrysler's 426 Hemi brought the power.....

Here's your proof. Stock class racing allows tuning and any gear ratio you can make work that was available back in the day.......but these cars run stock specs from the air cleaners down and out the exhaust manifolds. When in the hands of people who know how to drive and tune 'em this is what you get.

Hemmings 1969 Corvette L88 vs 1970 Hemi Cuda - YouTube
do not discount the improvements in transmissions too......
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:01 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 799 Posts
I don't know if you subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines like I do, but they have done full breakdowns on those F.A.S.T.(factory appearing, stock tires) cars and the engines are pretty modified, cars are lightened too. What's most impressive about those cars is the tires they run those times on! You put our powertrain in a car weighing 3200-3500 pounds and we would lift off into orbit!

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)

Last edited by EricG; 05-18-2018 at 07:04 AM.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
I don't know if you subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines like I do, but they have done full breakdowns on those F.A.S.T.(factory appearing, stock tires) cars and the engines are pretty modified, cars are lightened too. What's most impressive about those cars is the tires they run those times on! You put our powertrain in a car weighing 3200-3500 pounds and we would lift off into orbit!
Doesn't change anything........these cars outfitted with headers as most people ran 'em back in the day and with slicks would step it up 'even more........there is still pretty severe limitations on POTENTIAL POWER.... in the requirements of (factory appearing stock tires). The requirements of a stock cam profile is a potential power KILLER all in itself. The beauty of SIMPLICITY is where the REAL ADVANTAGE of old muscle is found to my mind anyway. I've got an example of each in my garage. The old car is faster in the 1/4 mile than my new Challenger and it's motor costs a fraction of what the replacement cost of 392 is today. $ vs $ equalized........the caparison gets REALLY BLEAK for modern muscle. That's the not-so-hidden cost of the improvement in tech and drive-ability. We have a BETTER car today.......but it sure ain't cheap.

My original point is still the same as well. DON'T ever get the idea that Hemis from the past and for that matter Chevy's Big Blocks didn't bring the power.

They sure did. The playing field is far from "level" though different priorities and mandates in the law for street motors make a straight up comparison too difficult to call one a conclusive clear winner over the other.

Modern cars BENEFIT from 50 years of tech improvement......yet are HOBBLED by emission restrictions the old engines and cars never faced and still don't.

Over-all? When it's all boiled down to a question of which is better?

For me the answer depends on if you only want to go racing or if you also want to daily drive the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in