426 to replace 392 for SRT - Page 4 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
I don't know if you subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines like I do, but they have done full breakdowns on those F.A.S.T.(factory appearing, stock tires) cars and the engines are pretty modified, cars are lightened too. What's most impressive about those cars is the tires they run those times on! You put our powertrain in a car weighing 3200-3500 pounds and we would lift off into orbit!
Exactly, they are highly modified while appearing stock. Tricks like a motorcycle battery inside of a box that appears to be a real battery, Door hinges left loose so the chassis will flex, not to mention engine mods that can't be seen from the outside. Can't imagine the talent it takes to launch those cars.

The point being, stock vs. stock there is no comparison between 1969 muscle cars and today's cars. Everything has changed including how HP is rated. As TA 392 YJ said, you'd hate driving these cars to work everyday. I never owned a Street Hemi but I did own a daily driven 68 440 GTX that owned more than 1 Street Hemi. And it ran 15.0 at the strip. In comparison my Scat Pack runs high 11's while weighing 500 lbs more. Not bashing 60's and 70's muscle cars but technology has come a long way in 40 years.

2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
Jazz Blue, Ruby Red Leather, A8, Scat Pack Appearance Group
Tazer, BT catch can, ported intake manifold, Hemifever Tune, Fastman 84mm TB.
SW mid pipes, Performance differential brace, BMR non adjustable trailing arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Julian View Post
do not discount the improvements in transmissions too......
ABSOLUTELY.......computer controlled shifts in the Automatic transmison was never more obvious in what it can add as it is today.

A 0-60MPH sprint in a New Mustang GT is pretty revealing. The new 10 Speed Auto is repsonsible for the first sub 4.0 second time.

3.9 seconds is a direct result of the transmission. The new transmission is the improvement over a 2018 auto GT with same motor that couldn't achieve this.

MPG is pretty obviously improved as well. The old 1:1 final drive ration in a manual 4 speed or 3 speed auto required a choice of priority between gas mileage or acceleration....... we no longer have to make this trade off one for the other courtesy of the additional over drive ratios.
post #33 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,023 Times in 717 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
I don't know if you subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines like I do, but they have done full breakdowns on those F.A.S.T.(factory appearing, stock tires) cars and the engines are pretty modified, cars are lightened too. What's most impressive about those cars is the tires they run those times on! You put our powertrain in a car weighing 3200-3500 pounds and we would lift off into orbit!
I've been a subscriber of Muscle Car Review for many years now (great publication by the way!) but didn't know about Hemmings Muscle Machines... I just subscribed for $15! Not bad for 12 issues. Thanks for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Go Mango Scat Pack 6 speed with a Speedlogix catch can.
Other current car: 1966 Mustang GT coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 799 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarProf View Post
I've been a subscriber of Muscle Car Review for many years now (great publication by the way!) but didn't know about Hemmings Muscle Machines... I just subscribed for $15! Not bad for 12 issues. Thanks for the info.
I get Muscle Car Review - with a few breaks in the subscription over the years - and yes it is excellent! I like Hemmings a little better though...

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)
The Following User Says Thank You to EricG For This Useful Post:
MuscleCarProf (05-18-2018)
post #35 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymopar View Post
Good point, I sold mine last summer but the 6.1 still gets my vote for the best looking NA Hemi.

I'm still driving my 2010 6.1 M6, and am still happy with it. I had debated upgrading to a 392 several years back, but decided to stick with mine. However, a 426 M6 with probably 125 hp more than my 6.1 would be mighty tempting

2010 Challenger SRT8

Bullet CAI, Magnaflow, 180 t-stat, 85mm TB, BT catch can

The Following User Says Thank You to wings67 For This Useful Post:
Leshik (05-20-2018)
post #36 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 2,682 Posts
Garage
Last month, "RS" stated that the 426 was slated for the '20 model year, but maybe things have been pushed up.

What FCA will put the 426 in will be interesting. Some of it will probably depend on the number of 426's that can be built at the plant. I'm assuming that they will come from the same plant as the current Hemi's are produced in, so capacity may be an issue, maybe not.

IMO, if they offer it only in the SRT trim to boost the sales of the SRT, they're missing the boat. That said, if the production capacity of the engine is low, they probably will offer it as an SRT trim option only at first. My thoughts are that a lot of folks won't jump on an SRT 426, just because of the 426, and because the pricing difference of the HC vs a 426 SRT trimmed car.

I may be all wet, but the 426 in a Scat Pack trimmed car would sell in far larger numbers. Guess we'll see what happens, and what the pricing structure will be between whatever they put it in, vs the HC pricing.

Granted the performance of the 426 will be more than the 392, but the HC will still out perform it by a pretty good margin.

Bringing the 426 back on the streets is a great marketing move on FCA's part, but we'll see how the marketing department implements it, and that could be very interesting.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
The Following User Says Thank You to 19johned53 For This Useful Post:
Leshik (05-20-2018)
post #37 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19johned53 View Post
Last month, "RS" stated that the 426 was slated for the '20 model year, but maybe things have been pushed up.

What FCA will put the 426 in will be interesting. Some of it will probably depend on the number of 426's that can be built at the plant. I'm assuming that they will come from the same plant as the current Hemi's are produced in, so capacity may be an issue, maybe not.

IMO, if they offer it only in the SRT trim to boost the sales of the SRT, they're missing the boat. That said, if the production capacity of the engine is low, they probably will offer it as an SRT trim option only at first. My thoughts are that a lot of folks won't jump on an SRT 426, just because of the 426, and because the pricing difference of the HC vs a 426 SRT trimmed car.

I may be all wet, but the 426 in a Scat Pack trimmed car would sell in far larger numbers. Guess we'll see what happens, and what the pricing structure will be between whatever they put it in, vs the HC pricing.

Granted the performance of the 426 will be more than the 392, but the HC will still out perform it by a pretty good margin.

Bringing the 426 back on the streets is a great marketing move on FCA's part, but we'll see how the marketing department implements it, and that could be very interesting.
I think the 426 should be the replacement for the 392 and the 392 should be the replacement for the 5.7L.

If they do decide to give us a 426, and this is far from being confirmed as there are conflicting reports out there, I sure hope they choose to move with the times and employ an aluminum engine block this time around.

Of course, dual mode direct injection like in the new 5.0 would be great too.....

Cars:

Bright White 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8. Mods: SRT Steering Wheel Swap, Petty's Strut Tower Brace, BT Catch Can, Custom Stripes, 20% Window Tints, Tinted Tail Reflectors and Side Markers

Titanium 2010 Challenger SE. Mods: JBA Headers, K&N CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Magnaflow Cat Back, DS 91 Octane Tune - Sold
The Following User Says Thank You to sctm81 For This Useful Post:
Leshik (05-20-2018)
post #38 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctm81 View Post
I think the 426 should be the replacement for the 392 and the 392 should be the replacement for the 5.7L.
Just curious, by that do you mean there would be A) If the current 5.7L models became 392s, and current 392 models became 426s:
SXT
GT
R/T 392
T/A 392
R/T Scat Pack 426
T/A 426
SRT 426
SRT Hellcat

Or B) if the 426 was the defining entry level SRT, the 392 was for R/Ts, and you just fit the T/A versions in there somewhere. Something like this:

SXT
GT
R/T 392
T/A 392
SRT 426
SRT Hellcat

Or another way? I'm curious, because the lineup is getting pretty packed with different versions. Option B would simplify things, however I do agree with some others here that the 426 shouldn't be SRT exclusive. Especially since the R/T got it in 1970-71.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG

Last edited by BlackHemi41; 05-19-2018 at 09:24 PM.
post #39 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemi41 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctm81 View Post
Just curious, by that do you mean there would be A) If the current 5.7L models became 392s, and current 392 models became 426s:
SXT
GT
R/T 392
T/A 392
R/T Scat Pack 426
T/A 426
SRT 426
SRT Hellcat

Or B) if the 426 was the defining entry level SRT, the 392 was for R/Ts, and you just fit the T/A versions in there somewhere. Something like this:

SXT
GT
R/T 392
T/A 392
SRT 426
SRT Hellcat

Or another way? I'm curious, because the lineup is getting pretty packed with different versions. Option B would simplify things, however I do agree with some others here that the 426 shouldn't be SRT exclusive. Especially since the R/T got it in 1970-71.
I'd absolutely vote for A if I had a say, lol. 'Power to the people'. Giving more people more choices is always better. Let the SRT keep the fancy suspensions and Laguna leather behind the paywall for those who like to pay extra for luxury. And for those who really want to pay to set themselves apart there's always the hellcat.

The T/A is more of an appearance package at this point ... it's about whether you like that style.

But the venerable 5.7L is REALLY ready for a well deserved retirement in 2019 after a legendary run. It's kinda like Michael Jordan at age 45 ...

On the other hand the pentastar V6 should get a bump to have direct injection to increase output. It's been unchanged as well for 8 years now. I'm sure there's a lot left for them to get out of that setup if they only tried.
The Following User Says Thank You to sctm81 For This Useful Post:
BlackHemi41 (05-20-2018)
post #40 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:27 AM

Im new to MOPAR. But reason i joined is for the Muscle Car. I had 15 GT 6 speed man. Love the car fast. went 11.4 with 19s DR. Intake, Headers, Tune. I guess im getting older the speed is not my priority any more. I like Challenger because of its old school look and modern muscle performance. Id Love to BUY A SHAKER 426 A8/10 SPEED AUTO. With PORT INJECTION. that would be great car. POWER and RELIABILTY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode