426 to replace 392 for SRT - Page 6 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,023 Times in 717 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Not the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygbsm View Post
No, it's not. Even if the Gen II 426 Hemi was underrated, you're talking about 500 SAE gross hp. Not installed in car, with no accessories attached, etc. In 1971, the 426 Hemi was rated at 350 SAE net hp.

The 392 Hemi has 485 SAE net hp.
I acknowledged that (gross hp) in my post when I said "brake"hp. There is no way a Gan II 426 Hemi's numbers fall in at 350 SAE Net. There have been too many dyno runs on stock build 426 Hemis to prove otherwise.

Check out this modern day dyno test on a stock 426. Almost the exact numbers as a stock Gen III 392. This was exactly my point in my original post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2018 Go Mango Scat Pack 6 speed with a Speedlogix catch can.
Other current car: 1966 Mustang GT coupe

Last edited by MuscleCarProf; 05-23-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarProf View Post
I acknowledged that (gross hp) in my post when I said "brake"hp. There is no way a Gan II 426 Hemi's numbers fall in at 350 SAE Net. There have been too many dyno runs on stock build 426 Hemis to prove otherwise.

Check out this modern day dyno test on a stock 426. Almost the exact numbers as a stock Gen II 392. This was exactly my point in my original post.
Stock 1969 426 HEMI Dyno run 484HP-488FtLbs - YouTube
1) You didn't mention gross hp, you mentioned brake hp. Brake hp is different from gross hp.

2) That video doesn't prove anything. No dyno sheet, no test conditions specified, no SAE standard specified, not installed in engine, no accessories, etc. Am I just supposed to take his word?

3) 426 Hemi was rated at 350 SAE net from the factory in 1971, the only year gross and net were published. Multiple sources confirm. See below:

1968 Dodge Charger R/T
2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack
2017 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi
post #53 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
1) You didn't mention gross hp, you mentioned brake hp. Brake hp is different from gross hp.

2) That video doesn't prove anything. No dyno sheet, no test conditions specified, no SAE standard specified, not installed in engine, no accessories, etc. Am I just supposed to take his word?

3) 426 Hemi was rated at 350 SAE net from the factory in 1971, the only year gross and net were published. Multiple sources confirm. See below:

I'm not going to argue with you on this. There have been several modern dynos on 426 Hemis that reflect this. Also, net documentation you provided would be underrated as it was when they reported it as "brake" or "gross".

Here's a little info on the terms used for HP that may help because brake and gross are the same thing:
"Prior to the 1972 model year, American automakers rated and advertised their engines in brake horsepower, bhp, which was a version of brake horsepower called SAE gross horsepower because it was measured according to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standards."
They're referring to HP without accessories.

Another one:

Last edited by MuscleCarProf; 05-23-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 799 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The old school guys love to do engine dynos on a stand for the higher numbers

I've raced quite a few old muscle cars at the track and I almost feel bad beating them so bad because I love the cars so much!

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)
The Following User Says Thank You to EricG For This Useful Post:
Fawls (05-24-2018)
post #55 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 10:35 AM

Don't you claim to be a professor? Someone who is interested in backing up their arguments with evidence and research?

Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you on this. There have been several modern dynos on 426 Hemis that reflect this.
OK prove it.

Quote:
Also, net documentation you provided would be underrated as it was when they reported it as "brake" or "gross".
I haven't seen you offer any evidence that a Gen II 426 Hemi wasn't rated at 350 SAE net by the factory. No retraction of your statement, even when faced with evidence to the contrary. Just that it was "underrated". By how much? To equal a 392 Hemi it would have to underrated by 135 SAE net hp. You can't seriously be saying that it was underrated by 135 SAE net hp. If you are, then prove it.

Quote:
Here's a little info on the terms used for HP that may help because brake and gross are the same thing:
"Prior to the 1972 model year, American automakers rated and advertised their engines in brake horsepower, bhp, which was a version of brake horsepower called SAE gross horsepower because it was measured according to Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standards."
They're referring to HP without accessories.
Exactly! Brake and gross are not the same thing. Right there in your quote, it says SAE gross hp is different from brake hp. Gross hp is without power robbing accessories- no water pumps, air cleaner, belts, radiator fan, with an optimized exhaust system (headers), etc. Brake hp excludes driveline losses. 392 Hemi - 485 SAE net brake horsepower. Gen. II 426 Hemi- 350 SAE net brake horsepower. Even if it was underrated by 50 SAE net horsepower, it's much weaker, stock for stock, than a 392.
post #56 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
A
Quote:
Don't you claim to be a professor? Someone who is interested in backing up their arguments with evidence and research?

OK prove it.

I haven't seen you offer any evidence that a Gen II 426 Hemi wasn't rated at 350 SAE net by the factory. No retraction of your statement, even when faced with evidence to the contrary. Just that it was "underrated". By how much? To equal a 392 Hemi it would have to underrated by 135 SAE net hp. You can't seriously be saying that it was underrated by 135 SAE net hp. If you are, then prove it.

Exactly! Brake and gross are not the same thing. Right there in your quote, it says SAE gross hp is different from brake hp. Gross hp is without power robbing accessories- no water pumps, air cleaner, belts, radiator fan, with an optimized exhaust system (headers), etc. Brake hp excludes driveline losses. 392 Hemi - 485 SAE net brake horsepower. Gen. II 426 Hemi- 350 SAE net brake horsepower. Even if it was underrated by 50 SAE net horsepower, it's much weaker, stock for stock, than a 392.
I seem to have struck a nerve here. Did you read the quote I provided you on brake and gross? Re-read that my friend; don't confuse brake and gross with net hp. Nowhere in the quote I provided does it state they are different (gross and brake), quite the contrary. Proof? I even provided you with an additional video clip of a dyno test on a stock 426. Did you not see that? As far as trying to insult me by calling out my profession, any time you want to discuss qualitative or quantitative research along with supportive results, I'll be more than happy to bore you with the extensive details of my research (non Hemi related). Try a little "Google" research on "426 Hemi dyno results" and see what you come up with. I have more hard copy books and muscle car mags that have addressed this very topic than I care to go back to re-read.

Another quote to help you out:
"You can measure the BHP (brake hp) with no alternator, water pump, or other accessories normally mounted on the front of the engine, along with a free flowing exhaust to maximize the numbers. That is what was done in the early years and in the USA is called gross horsepower."

Last edited by MuscleCarProf; 05-23-2018 at 09:16 PM.
post #57 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:55 PM

Garage
Ok, so with a new viper on the horizon rumored with an all aluminum normally aspirated V8 at the lowest trim I do finally believe that this could be the same 426 HEMI that will also find its way into the Challenger lineup.

Cars:

Bright White 2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker A8. Mods: SRT Steering Wheel Swap, Petty's Strut Tower Brace, BT Catch Can, Custom Stripes, 20% Window Tints, Tinted Tail Reflectors and Side Markers

Titanium 2010 Challenger SE. Mods: JBA Headers, K&N CAI, Ported Throttle Body, Magnaflow Cat Back, DS 91 Octane Tune - Sold
post #58 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:56 PM

Garage
Dodge to resurrect the Viper a second time

http://flip.it/QN-uyx
post #59 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:51 PM

post #60 of 82 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:53 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode