Dodge Challenger Forum banner

426 to replace 392 for SRT

40K views 81 replies 35 participants last post by  McCloud 
#1 ·
Latest internet talk is that the 426 is 100% confirmed through Dodge insiders and will be replacing the 392 for the SRT model. Some have been asking for a bigger separation between the 392 SRTs and the Scat Packs so this may be it...

#3 ·
It would be the logical step for Dodge to counter Ford's and Chevy's move in the engine advancements in this segment.

Couldn't see myself upgrading from the 392 though for a mere 50hp. I can see a lot of 5.7L R/T guys upgrading to a 426 but for me, if I went out to upgrade from a 392 I'd want the bump in power to be more significant than what a future 426 could provide, i.e. it would have to be Hellcat level power that would feel like a major upgrade.

#4 ·
my fully loaded scat pack isn't too different from the srt besides the adaptive suspension i believe. i have the same wheels, brakes, lowered suspension, and engine. that 7liter for the neglected srt would be nice. i think people either get the scats or jump to hellcats usually skipping the srt.

#6 ·
I wouldn't say little. It still has the second biggest displacement after the 426. And it will still stay in the middle of the line up. Aren't the planning on getting rid of the 5.7? Is so then yeah it will be the v8 with the least amount of horsepower

SXT
RT
Hellcat
Demon

#7 ·
It wasn't long ago the 392 was king, how time passes and what was great gets pushed down to fourth place!! Holy Hell!!! These are the greatest moments in muscle car lore! I don't think they are getting rid of the ole 5.7, maybe they should, I like mine just fine for what I only get to use it for, maybe I am just old.

Don't worry dude, I was only joking about "the little engine that could" You can still get the job done with what you have, she hopes!!! lol!!!

Reactions: dhadams64
#8 ·
yeah and when i was first eyeing the 2008 SRT8 as my dream car, it was the biggest and best you can get. My fully loaded scatpack minus the sun roof is everything I wanted and more, can't complain. it was a huge jump from my 4 banger Avenger but as you get used to the speed, I feel it could be faster

#10 ·
I am happy with my 5.7l, enough Torque to feel it when you nail the throttle. Enough power to cruise up Rt. 11 to Geneva at 120+ MPH. And a real head turner, That's all I bought it for, and it does it just fine. With a tune I am sure it could run with and beat my buddies 2010 Camaro SS. It def. feels more torquey than his manually shifted Camaro.

#12 ·
Think you just sold some Challengers and Chargers, Hope your getting some commish.

#13 ·
Even though I badged my R/T a little (Added 345 to the scoops, R/T to the Fender, HEMI on the Spoiler, and DODGE on the hood), I'm a bigger fan of debadging, for the "sleeper" look. THAT being said, "426" is iconic. All of these modern HEMIs have built their own reputations, and even though the new 426 won't be the same as the old 426......it's still friggin "426 HEMI". It should be on fenders, hood scoops, spoilers, hood decals, hat's, t-shirts, and tattooed to your old-ladies backside.

#17 ·
Will be very difficult to achieve if they stick to OHV technology.

#18 ·
I hope like HELL they don't put the 426 in only the SRT. Makes sense but I don't like the SRT (except my old 2010), hood does nothing for me. I would love another shaker and that is exactly where a 426 HEMI belongs. I'll scream if they're dumb enough to use 7.0L (don't like the 6.4L either).

Reactions: Leshik
#25 ·
I think it's a good move even though Hellcats and Demons are SRTs. SRT was being skipped over by many with Scat packs and then the RT 392, after all with SRT power the reasons for many buyers were too few to pay the upgraded price for an SRT.

Lots of model choices now but I guess the TA will be dropped by the time the 426 SRT arrives.

426 Hemi. What a sight to see that will be on a Challenger after 50 years. (49 after the last ones).

#29 · (Edited)
I don't know if you subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines like I do, but they have done full breakdowns on those F.A.S.T.(factory appearing, stock tires) cars and the engines are pretty modified, cars are lightened too. What's most impressive about those cars is the tires they run those times on! You put our powertrain in a car weighing 3200-3500 pounds and we would lift off into orbit!

#30 ·
Doesn't change anything........these cars outfitted with headers as most people ran 'em back in the day and with slicks would step it up 'even more........there is still pretty severe limitations on POTENTIAL POWER.... in the requirements of (factory appearing stock tires). The requirements of a stock cam profile is a potential power KILLER all in itself. The beauty of SIMPLICITY is where the REAL ADVANTAGE of old muscle is found to my mind anyway. I've got an example of each in my garage. The old car is faster in the 1/4 mile than my new Challenger and it's motor costs a fraction of what the replacement cost of 392 is today. $ vs $ equalized........the caparison gets REALLY BLEAK for modern muscle. That's the not-so-hidden cost of the improvement in tech and drive-ability. We have a BETTER car today.......but it sure ain't cheap.

My original point is still the same as well. DON'T ever get the idea that Hemis from the past and for that matter Chevy's Big Blocks didn't bring the power.

They sure did. The playing field is far from "level" though different priorities and mandates in the law for street motors make a straight up comparison too difficult to call one a conclusive clear winner over the other.

Modern cars BENEFIT from 50 years of tech improvement......yet are HOBBLED by emission restrictions the old engines and cars never faced and still don't.

Over-all? When it's all boiled down to a question of which is better?

For me the answer depends on if you only want to go racing or if you also want to daily drive the car.

#36 ·
Last month, "RS" stated that the 426 was slated for the '20 model year, but maybe things have been pushed up.

What FCA will put the 426 in will be interesting. Some of it will probably depend on the number of 426's that can be built at the plant. I'm assuming that they will come from the same plant as the current Hemi's are produced in, so capacity may be an issue, maybe not.

IMO, if they offer it only in the SRT trim to boost the sales of the SRT, they're missing the boat. That said, if the production capacity of the engine is low, they probably will offer it as an SRT trim option only at first. My thoughts are that a lot of folks won't jump on an SRT 426, just because of the 426, and because the pricing difference of the HC vs a 426 SRT trimmed car.

I may be all wet, but the 426 in a Scat Pack trimmed car would sell in far larger numbers. Guess we'll see what happens, and what the pricing structure will be between whatever they put it in, vs the HC pricing.

Granted the performance of the 426 will be more than the 392, but the HC will still out perform it by a pretty good margin.

Bringing the 426 back on the streets is a great marketing move on FCA's part, but we'll see how the marketing department implements it, and that could be very interesting.

#37 ·
I think the 426 should be the replacement for the 392 and the 392 should be the replacement for the 5.7L.

If they do decide to give us a 426, and this is far from being confirmed as there are conflicting reports out there, I sure hope they choose to move with the times and employ an aluminum engine block this time around.

Of course, dual mode direct injection like in the new 5.0 would be great too.....

Reactions: Leshik
#40 ·
Im new to MOPAR. But reason i joined is for the Muscle Car. I had 15 GT 6 speed man. Love the car fast. went 11.4 with 19s DR. Intake, Headers, Tune. I guess im getting older the speed is not my priority any more. I like Challenger because of its old school look and modern muscle performance. Id Love to BUY A SHAKER 426 A8/10 SPEED AUTO. With PORT INJECTION. that would be great car. POWER and RELIABILTY

#41 ·
A 426 for the heritage and retro imagine sales could be a WINNER......but right now it really does fly in the face of many trends in the industry.

Engine sizes are getting smaller and choosing turbos and even super charging to achieve the MPG across the fleet of offerings from each manufacturer.

Then there is a rather disturbing trend for gasoline prices happening right now as I type. After a few years of a supply glut in crude oil keeping prices low......it really does seem like the world has finally started to get back into balance.

Makes me wonder if the idea actually happens..... it's second time around might just end as fast or faster than it's first should these trends continue.

#42 ·
That's why FCA needs a more balanced product portfolio, so that they wouldn't need to worry about that. The whole focus on trucks and SUVs, just because they are the hot seller of the moment, is really short-sighted. They had that same mentality in 2008, and it nearly bankrupted them when the market shifted. Look at their lineup now, and it's like they haven't learned a thing from that near-death experience.

Anyway, If they were better prepared for a market shift today, a 426 would be a safer investment. Even if it's a niche offering.

#54 ·
The old school guys love to do engine dynos on a stand for the higher numbers ;)

I've raced quite a few old muscle cars at the track and I almost feel bad beating them so bad because I love the cars so much!

Reactions: Fawls
#68 · (Edited)
You've raced quite a few that weren't examples of what old tech is capable of today without a lot of drama.

It's not just "new tech" that has improved.

SO has the "old tech" and you won;t be beating this guy.......in fact he'd slaughter a new Demon pretty badly with an old school Hemi design that shows pretty clearly that old school Carb fed and simple is still the one to beat. (Spoiler.....mid way through he does actually take out a Demon......with a terminal speed that is shockingly slower showing just how big his lead was before hitting the brake pedal at the end to slide under the wire)

The only reason this design isn't still in use for street cars is found in MPG and Emissions requirements. Set those concerns aside, as you do at the race track......there is still more to like in the old muscle than the unnecessary complications of making this kind of power with the new muscle tech.

This is a REAL HEMI as it's supposed to be with a pair of carburetors on top and those fat ass valve covers with the 4 ignition wires coming out of the middle of 'em .......unlike our cars that really just borrow the legendary name and paste it on a plastic engine cover.

https://youtu.be/8LMsBR1dsAs

#57 ·
Ok, so with a new viper on the horizon rumored with an all aluminum normally aspirated V8 at the lowest trim I do finally believe that this could be the same 426 HEMI that will also find its way into the Challenger lineup.

#58 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.