Are all Catch Cans equal??? - Page 3 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:23 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yes the cans work. Yes they catch oil vapor

Yes they look good. But don’t you think with the millions of cars on the rd that if the Mfg though it was necessary don’t you think they would do it from a liability Stand point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 SRT
MAGNUSON TVS 2300 12LB BLOWER WITH ARRINGTON PERFORMANCE TUNED & DROP IN PISTONS AND RODS, KOOKS LONG TUBE HEADERS
ARRINGTON FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE
BILLET TECH FUEL DOOR BADGE, DOORLOCK PINS, DEVO STRUT TOWER COVERS, COMPLETE UNDERHOOD KIT IN RED, POP CAN DELETE DISC'S, SRT WHEEL CENTERS, DOOR JAM INSERTS,
CANTON SUPER CHARGER COOLANT TANK
BARTON SHORT THROW SHIFTER WITH MOPAR SHORT THROW HANDLE]
CUSTOM HEAD RESTS
SPEEDLOGIX A-PILLAR POD W/ AUTOMETER CARBON FIBER GUAGES
The Following User Says Thank You to us1champ For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 09:43 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
Yes the cans work. Yes they catch oil vapor

Yes they look good. But don’t you think with the millions of cars on the rd that if the Mfg though it was necessary don’t you think they would do it from a liability Stand point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they wouldn't. This has been explained before and I'll go ahead and make it the gorillionth time.

Running a catch can doesn't improve reliability or longevity, at least past the manufacturer's predicted duration of the vehicle with proper maintenance.

So why would they give a flying rat's ass if your car doesn't perform as well by then? If anything they want you to get a new car instead.

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to praiseV8 For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018), silver scat (08-02-2018)
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,887 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A catch can will help to eliminate carbon deposits and prevent pre-ignition or knock. The reason catch cans are not installed on cars is their expense and the fact that it would add another maintenance chore (i.e., emptying the can every 2,000 miles) for the owner.

The following is an excellent discussion of how a catch can works and why it is beneficial for a high performance engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018), Bob Ricewasser (07-31-2018), JavierA (07-31-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 07:37 AM

Cuda and Praise: thanks again for weighing in on this subject. One thing about this forum I appreciate is that collectively, we don't spue random opinion in place of fact and we don't ignore valid questions just because they've been asked before. There's no doubt that this will not be the last time this question is dealt with here. But that's what a good forum is all about: learning, logging, and then loaning out all the pertinent information we can to anyone who needs to know. A good library has lots of information; but a great library makes it accessible. And for many who either don't know how or just don't want to take the time, tracking down info on this forum can be time consuming. It's so much easier to ask simply ask somebody to reach up and grab something off a top shelf than it is to go find the dumb ladder. I for one am glad there are so many here willing to do just that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to garyahouse For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018), silver scat (08-02-2018), Tollywood (08-01-2018)
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 09:46 AM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseV8 View Post
No, they wouldn't. This has been explained before and I'll go ahead and make it the gorillionth time.

Running a catch can doesn't improve reliability or longevity, at least past the manufacturer's predicted duration of the vehicle with proper maintenance.

So why would they give a flying rat's ass if your car doesn't perform as well by then? If anything they want you to get a new car instead.
did you read my post? i said from the mfg liablity.. they arn't going to put something on a car that is going to cost them money via maint. issues, repair. or even better.. relying on general public to be able to take one apart every so often to make sure that is is working and keeping the thing empty.

why in the hell do you think they have stopped putting transmission sticks in cars.. so people don't screw stuff up and are more or less FORCED to take it to a dealer.

again. do they work. ( pending your own personal views on DO THEY WORK ) i say yes. is it necessary.. NOPE NOT

A BIT

old school cars used breathers yrs ago and blew it to atmosphere instead of back into the motor ( pcv system ) that is a epa thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to us1champ For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:42 AM

Garage
I've had the BT one since I purchased the Scat Pack and very happy with it. I try to drain it every couple of weeks. My dealer use to also empty it out when they were doing the oil change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1278.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	927013  

The Following User Says Thank You to JavierA For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018)
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The decision to install a catch can is an individual one. For me, $100 is cheap insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018)
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
Old school cars used breathers yrs ago and blew it to atmosphere instead of back into the motor (pcv system ) that is a epa thing.
You're right. The old breathers didn't route the oil vapor back into the combustion chamber. As a result, there was minimal carbon build-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	927033  
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda340 For This Useful Post:
Ashoka (07-31-2018)
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 07:21 PM

Location: NW Ok City. 29 years AF; 15 years teaching at OU. Born PA; raised WV; 2 time WVU grad.
Garage
Buy one used, and paint it to match body color!

Frank aka soonercruiser
2011 GWE SRT8.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Buy one used, and paint it to match body color!

That's one sweet looking engine bay!

2008 Challenger SRT8
First Edition 1101-6400

Custom Matte Grey Paint Job

Black Tinted Marker's & Tailight

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode