Daily driver SRT 392 or Hellcat? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Daily driver SRT 392 or Hellcat?

Which would make a better daily driver the SRT 392 or the Hellcat? The car will not be driven in the snow and I do not have a long commute to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 AM

Garage
I'd go with the Hellcat if I could afford it. Already has tons of power, wouldn't need to dump too much money in upgrades in the long run. Plus, there's the black key.

2015 Challenger R/T Scat Pack "Big Green" (Sublime Green) - Delivered on my birthday
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8spd auto, SPSG, WRT wheels, sound group II

Mods: Hellcat Intake/Filter, BT Catch Can, SLP LM1, DIPS Screens, Diablo PCM w/ 93 Octane tune,
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,894 Posts
Garage
The 392's 485 hp is more than enough power for the street. However, if you occasionally go to the track and want something unique, buy the Hellcat. Also, I think that the Hellcat has a better chance of appreciation in the long term that the average Challenger.

Not that it's a concern, but you will lose a little mileage with the 6.2 supercharged Hemi:

6.2 Hellcat- 13/21 mpg
6.4 (392) SRT- 15/25 mpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanked 3,768 Times in 2,832 Posts
Agree. Either one is fine as a daily driver, in addition to Black Key both have Valet Mode that chops power to about 300 up and locks out first gear so even in snow or bad weather, there would be no issues with too much power.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

2016 SRT 392 - Billet Silver, Black Stripes, A8, Tech Group ...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:07 PM

Before the Hellcat was introduced, the same question was asked about the RT vs. The 392. Well, I owned a RT and frequently utilized about 3/4 to 100% of its available power on the street. I wanted more. I now have a 392 and consistently use about 1/2 to 3/4 of its power. If I owned a Hellcat, I would use about 1/2 of its available power on the street. So, get a Hellcat and use less power until the conditions dictate.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'12 SRT/A5 Blue Streak Pearl (every option, minus sunroof) w Corsa Extreme Catback, Speedlogix 90MM Throttle Body, Speedlogix '392' Catch Can, Petty's Garage SRT Double Strut Tower Brace, K&N Air Filter, Trinity Tune and DRLs activated
'13 RT/Plus 6M Sold
'07 Club Car Precedent w/ 500 amp controller, Plum Quick Executioner motor
The Following User Says Thank You to stevec3201 For This Useful Post:
Fawls (06-04-2017)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsswansonjr View Post
Which would make a better daily driver the SRT 392 or the Hellcat? The car will not be driven in the snow and I do not have a long commute to work.
Buy an SXT with a V6! You'll love driving it for about half to 2/3 rds. the cost of either of your other choices. If you have doubts, rent one for 2 to 3 weekends and see how you feel about it after that.

Last edited by billzsrt392; 06-03-2017 at 07:16 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 06:29 PM

All entirely up to you and what matters to you and what not. I'd say the 392 is perfect for DD duty. A good friend of mine traded in his Camaro SS for a hellcat. He used to DD the Camaro through all 4 seasons. Not even close with his hellcat it turned into a nice day only once or twice a week car. Even though he can afford gas he doesn't like filling up every few days. Constant worry in the back of his mind if someone is going to ding his ride just from running into a store etc.

Just my opinion and I don't blame him really I mean it's a really nice car
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 06:56 PM

DD I will say SRT all day long. When you say track the Hellcat should rock 1/4 mile but that is lot of speed and power for a door slammer with no cage. Also if you can hook it up. I am strong believe in once a car goes over 500HP it is actually slower on a road course. Why I picked a SRT with electronic suspension and a 6 spd manual. More than enough power to get you into trouble fast if you loose respect. The Hellcat is going to be struggling to find hook up and will be all over the track after 2 laps of spinning tires. I drove a couple and could have bought one for about 4K more than SRT if I wanted one. Dealer has 13 of them. So much for the collectability. SRT is very well balanced from the factory. Add the beefier roll bars and front and rear strut braces and you got your self a very capable road course car. Probably as good or better than 70's Trans Am race.car. Power is pretty close but the edge to the race car. Handling and traction goes to the modern car hands down. Brakes- No contest modern car. Weight advantage race car. If you are just about drag racing and smoking the tires at 80MPH the Hellcat is for you. First I would suggest shopping insurance first. My buddy just got his bill. 3 times the money than to insure his 360 Ferrari Spider which is worth more! Its the #1 car now wrecked within 5 miles of the dealership. Once he say the his insurance bill "Looks like I will burn up a set rear tires and be trading this baby in". All depends what you at looking for. Roasting the tires at 80 is pretty cool the first couple of times. Then it just gets expensive.

2017 SRT 392, Black/Black Stripes, Red Nappa leather, Red Belts, 6 Speed, Every Opt but summer tires
2005 Maserati Coupe GT Grigio Alfieri over Boudreaux, 6 Speed Manual, Larini exhaust
2013 VW Turbo Beetle White-Silver Stripes, Loaded 6 speed manual
2004 1/2 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, Laramie, 6 Speed, 6" Lift, 35's, BullyDog Programmer
No stinking Auto's in this house. We all row the gears!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the various comments, they are appreciated.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvettx2 View Post
DD I will say SRT all day long. When you say track the Hellcat should rock 1/4 mile but that is lot of speed and power for a door slammer with no cage. Also if you can hook it up. I am strong believe in once a car goes over 500HP it is actually slower on a road course. Why I picked a SRT with electronic suspension and a 6 spd manual. More than enough power to get you into trouble fast if you loose respect. The Hellcat is going to be struggling to find hook up and will be all over the track after 2 laps of spinning tires. I drove a couple and could have bought one for about 4K more than SRT if I wanted one. Dealer has 13 of them. So much for the collectability. SRT is very well balanced from the factory. Add the beefier roll bars and front and rear strut braces and you got your self a very capable road course car. Probably as good or better than 70's Trans Am race.car. Power is pretty close but the edge to the race car. Handling and traction goes to the modern car hands down. Brakes- No contest modern car. Weight advantage race car. If you are just about drag racing and smoking the tires at 80MPH the Hellcat is for you. First I would suggest shopping insurance first. My buddy just got his bill. 3 times the money than to insure his 360 Ferrari Spider which is worth more! Its the #1 car now wrecked within 5 miles of the dealership. Once he say the his insurance bill "Looks like I will burn up a set rear tires and be trading this baby in". All depends what you at looking for. Roasting the tires at 80 is pretty cool the first couple of times. Then it just gets expensive.
I had a Scat Pack and now a Hellcat. The Hellcat shines on a road course. The big power difference is really noticeable in the long straight aways. I'm a very novice driver and felt like I had the Hellcat under complete control on the road course. I definitely agree with all of your observations on more of an autocross course. The Hellcat struggles a little bit in that area at least with a beginner like me driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode