Daily driver SRT 392 or Hellcat? - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 06:30 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I DD a '15 SRT, in Canada. Love it. Handles well in the winter too. My daily trip is about 85km (uhh.. 50ish miles?) on the highway and I fill up once every week and a half, depending on how many times my girls ask me to "take the long way home daddy!".

2015 Challenger SRT392 A8 - Stock daily driver. For now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to DreamCarr For This Useful Post:
Oderus (06-05-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,583 Times in 866 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzsrt392 View Post
Buy an SXT with a V6! You'll love driving it for about half to 2/3 rds. the cost of either of your other choices. If you have doubts, rent one for 2 to 3 weekends and see how you feel about it after that.
I agree. I think he's missing the concept of a daily driver (economical, comfortable, fun balance) vs weekend fun vehicle (nice, rare, expensive, to be cared for). Of course if you're an individual so wealthy you can afford a Hellcat as a grocery getter, why not. Save the Lamborghini for weekend Country Club visits with Biff and Buffy.

Last edited by mjb4450; 06-05-2017 at 09:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjb4450 For This Useful Post:
billzsrt392 (06-05-2017)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Garage
I DD my 16 SRT 392... all 4 seasons, 2 sets of Wheels (Summer/Winter) and also take her to the track. I would DD a Hellcat too... just didnt think I needed 700 hp... now im reconsidering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 09:24 AM

Garage
I went through the same decision process. Drove the SRT HC and 392 and decided on the 392 for the DD...for my needs the 392 was more than enough HP.
The Following User Says Thank You to drummer1 For This Useful Post:
silver scat (09-04-2017)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 05:49 PM

My 2015 SRT 392 is joy to drive as a DD and at the strip...and you do get a big smile to your face if you come up against a Hellcat and the guy really doesn't know how to put all that power to the ground...and...The SRT still gets a look back every day...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 SRT 392, A8, Sepia Laguna Leather
11.910 @ 113.89...1.698 60'...Sonoma Raceway - 30Mar19
____________________________________________________________ _________

It's all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back
- Mick Jagger
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanked 1,119 Times in 804 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you can afford it, I don't see any real downside to daily driving a Hellcat. It's everything the 392 cars are, and then much more.

Now: '15 R/T Scat Pack A8 Pitch Black, Appearance Group, Leather, SG II [email protected] DA 6500([email protected] corrected)
-catch can, Hellcat airbox/filter, 180 tstat, Opti-Coat Pro+, ceramic tint, clear bra...and some other crap too

Former: '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete [email protected] DA 7100(
corrected)
Former: '06 300C SRT8
(DA -700)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvettx2 View Post
DD I will say SRT all day long. When you say track the Hellcat should rock 1/4 mile but that is lot of speed and power for a door slammer with no cage. Also if you can hook it up. I am strong believe in once a car goes over 500HP it is actually slower on a road course. Why I picked a SRT with electronic suspension and a 6 spd manual. More than enough power to get you into trouble fast if you loose respect. The Hellcat is going to be struggling to find hook up and will be all over the track after 2 laps of spinning tires. I drove a couple and could have bought one for about 4K more than SRT if I wanted one. Dealer has 13 of them. So much for the collectability. SRT is very well balanced from the factory. Add the beefier roll bars and front and rear strut braces and you got your self a very capable road course car. Probably as good or better than 70's Trans Am race.car. Power is pretty close but the edge to the race car. Handling and traction goes to the modern car hands down. Brakes- No contest modern car. Weight advantage race car. If you are just about drag racing and smoking the tires at 80MPH the Hellcat is for you. First I would suggest shopping insurance first. My buddy just got his bill. 3 times the money than to insure his 360 Ferrari Spider which is worth more! Its the #1 car now wrecked within 5 miles of the dealership. Once he say the his insurance bill "Looks like I will burn up a set rear tires and be trading this baby in". All depends what you at looking for. Roasting the tires at 80 is pretty cool the first couple of times. Then it just gets expensive.
Is this from experience of just what you heard?
Besides the 707 HP, which can be turned down to 500. The HC and SRT are identical cars after that
My insurance went up sixty a month
Speak from experience

El Paso Bob
2016 HellCat
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:34 PM

Well... you may also want to consider if you want super charged or normally aspirated. If yours is a daily driver there could be higher costs associated with maintenance on a super charged engines. 392s are normally aspirated, removing the complexity, and stuff under the hood like ducts, intercooler etc. and easier to work on if needed. Hellcats have been around only for 2+ yrs, and most people i know who have them have few miles on them. We wont know how well they would hold up in the long run.. and what kind of $$'s you are looking at in maintenance on high mileage scenario. I have a SRT 392 m6 as my daily driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode