My 09 lifters and cam soiled the bed - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
My 09 lifters and cam soiled the bed

Need some direction here from folks who have dealt with this already. Really just looking for advice on which cam to get, and any other parts issues you ran into if your car had the same failure. Mine started with a cylinder 4 misfire and the good ol lifter tapping away at the cam lobe. The new plugs on cylinder 4 are oil fouled. Just trying to get any heads up before i tear off into this thing and find something thats gonna bite me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
its possible that the needle bearings in the lifter roller failed, then wore down the lobe on the cam.

That has been the typical chain of events if a cylinder goes out of commission. The thing to do is probably flush the oiling system of the engine as well as look at cylinder walls to see if there's signs of scoring / scuffing.

Odds are the oil filter caught the metal particles from the lobe wearing down.

As a precaution, I'd probably replace the oil pump - the unfiltered oil passes through the pump, then the filter next. Metal particles would likely have created wear and increased the tolerances on the oil pump.

Keep in mind if you get any aftermarket cam that has longer duration or different specs over the OEM design, you'll require tuning. Also check if you're going with higher lift if you need new springs or any other components.

From your avatar, I'm presuming this is an '09 SRT8 and the 6.1 does not have VVT

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yes it is a 2009 SRT8. Thanks for your input. I already have the diablo tuner in my cart as well as the lifters, oil pump and gasket sets. I do want to upgrade the cam since im tearing it all apart, but dont want to have to upgrade everything(springs etc) any word on best cam for decent gains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 AM

Garage
Inertia Motorsports SRT Max Plus will not require any upgrades as it is just plug and play with a tune. I would probably get new pushrods depending on the mileage of the engine.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Lifter Tapping

I have a 2008 Challenger SRT8 with 43K miles on it

After stomping the gas pedal getting on the freeway yesterday My Check engine light came on. I took it to my mechanic and he told me it showed Cylinder1 showed a lean mixture on his analyzer.
I also noticed the loud tapping which he said sounded like a lifter issue.
I see that this seems to be a common issue after reading on this forum.

I think it has been tapping for awhile but not as loud as it now appears.
I'm hesitant to bring it to the dealership for repairs as I was told this morning it would be $1600-2000 to open it up and tell me whats the total damage.
Unfortunately I have just used my mechanic for general repairs and I am wondering if this type of repair needs to be done to exacting standards.

Does anyone have a ballpark estimate of what it would cost to replace the lifter. I also realize that it may have damaged my cam so a estimate of repair costs for Cam and lifters would be appreciated.

I would appreciate your opinions on this
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
The book time for lifters and cam is 13 hours. Stealership labor without parts will run you between 2k-2500 depending on hourly rates. Around 1000 for a non dealership repair
The Following User Says Thank You to thorSRT8 For This Useful Post:
gday111 (12-20-2018)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:34 PM

Forgive the apparent simple questions but I'm not as hands on about these things as many of you on this forum:

1_Should I replace all the lifters at the same time anticipating additional failures?
2_Would Cam damage be readily apparent or does the possibility exist that only the lifter went bad?
3_Any suggestions for purchasing specific Vendor Cam/Lifter Replacement parts from Online Stores
4_Since the Cylinder1 lean condition(My Check Engine Code) seemed to appear at the same time as the loud lifter tapping _Should I assume that the lifter for Cylinder! is the bad lifter?

TIA
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gday111 View Post
Forgive the apparent simple questions but I'm not as hands on about these things as many of you on this forum:

1_Should I replace all the lifters at the same time anticipating additional failures?
2_Would Cam damage be readily apparent or does the possibility exist that only the lifter went bad?
3_Any suggestions for purchasing specific Vendor Cam/Lifter Replacement parts from Online Stores
4_Since the Cylinder1 lean condition(My Check Engine Code) seemed to appear at the same time as the loud lifter tapping _Should I assume that the lifter for Cylinder! is the bad lifter?

TIA
Since the cylinder heads must be removed to access the lifters, might as well replace them. If a lifter or roller bearing went bad, other ones might be near that point of failure.

The cam would need to be removed, inspected for wear or damage. Cyl 1 would be the first one to look at for lifters to see what went wrong, or if you had a valve spring break and that might be the cause as well.

Only on tear-down can you find out what's going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
gday111 (12-20-2018)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:54 AM

A cam and lifters are thin money compared to the labor. Just do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64dartgt For This Useful Post:
gday111 (12-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode