P3425 Error code - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
P3425 Error code

Hey guys I have a 2012 6.4 srt8 and I suddenly got a P3425 Error code, I took it to the dealer and they didn’t know what was wrong with it so I changed the solenoid sadly that did not solve the issue the dealer told me that I needed to change the camshaft and lifters because of the ticking, I honestly did not believe them, I don’t think I have clogged Oil passages because I change my oil and filter every 5 thousand KMs, could it be a wiring issue? Because my right fog light also stopped
working around the same time. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubarak AlSanafi View Post
Hey guys I have a 2012 6.4 srt8 and I suddenly got a P3425 Error code, I took it to the dealer and they didn’t know what was wrong with it so I changed the solenoid sadly that did not solve the issue the dealer told me that I needed to change the camshaft and lifters because of the ticking, I honestly did not believe them, I don’t think I have clogged Oil passages because I change my oil and filter every 5 thousand KMs, could it be a wiring issue? Because my right fog light also stopped
working around the same time. Thanks guys

One way to deal with a dealer telling you it doesn't know what's wrong with the car is to point out one reason you bought the car was because of the dealer's claims of factory trained techs to properly service/repair the car.

To then take the car in with a OBD2 error code -- which should be documented by Dodge and the dealer should have this documentation -- and the dealer claim to not know what's wrong could be considered consumer fraud. It is not like you brought the car in to an appliance repair business.

Mention that you will be writing the factory headquarters to ask if it has any recommendation on where you can take the car to get it properly serviced as this dealer apparently is incapable of offering the service you were led to believe it would.

Also, mention you are going to get in touch with the county's division of consumer fraud and ask it if you have been a victim of consumer fraud, being led to believe you could get the car serviced at a Dodge dealer only to find out what the time came the dealer apparently just throws up its hands and claims to not know what's going on.

In the meantime, you might find the info at this link of some value:

https://www.obd-codes.com/p3425
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockster For This Useful Post:
sr71cbx (04-24-2019)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
Looking at the trouble code description, if you had low oil pressure, it would be clearly visible on the vehicle's gauge readouts. Scroll through and find the oil pressure function and see what it says. My 5.7 hemi usually runs 53 psi at highway speed hot, and may drop to 25-30 psi at idle. The 5W-20 oil used in these engines has less viscous friction than a thicker oil, and the MDS needs the thinner oil to operate correctly. The 6.4L engine does use a 0W-40 oil, however. Is ECM known to be good also?
Bottom line, if you have proper oil pressure, the MDS system should work just fine.......or maybe bad solenoid from dealer? Been known to happen. Rattle their cage about it, their reply of "we don't know what's wrong with it" would elicit a severe negative reactive response from me and that dealership would have my name on it after the civil court case was done. Also what rockster said above is good advice to start with.
If it were me, I'd do the work to change out the MDS lifters and block the passages to them(cylinder head removal required to remove lifters though), and reflash the ECM to shut off the MDS. Manual trans cars do not have the MDS BS in the engine, love my '12 5.& with M6 trans for that reason, one less thing to go wrong.
Keep us posted on results, and, no, it doesn't need a camshaft change!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Challenger R/T w/5.7 6M trans, K&N CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.
2014 Chrysler 300C w/5.7 hemi, bone stock(wife's hot rod)
1967 Plymouth Barracuda FB w/modded 340 & 727 TF trans, 3:55 posi axle
2002 beater Toyota pickup
1994 Chevy Suburban K2500 4WD tow rig w/1 ton chassis & 454 engine
2011 Ford Fiesta econobox w/5 spd manual trans
2004 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing, 92,000 trouble free miles
1979 Honda CBX 6 cylinder bike, turbocharged & insane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
There was a member here that had a bunch of DTC manifest when he replaced his coil packs. One happened to be P3425. It was suggested that a connector in the engine bay may have been the cause which the dealership confirmed there was a short in the connector. Might be worth a check, see post 8 in the thread below.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...5=#post8430721

BTW if you go to the online chilton's manual and search for P3425 it gives you the complete walk-thru on how to diagnose the error.
https://www.challengertalk.com/forum...access-666787/

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
sr71cbx (04-24-2019)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
its a matter of trouble shooting - the code is for cyl #4 deactivation.

could be a wiring issue, the MDS solenoid, or the lifters for that cylinder.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
The Following User Says Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
sr71cbx (04-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode