Seized Engine - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Seized Engine

Here's the horrid ending to my Cam and lifters replacement. I'm just sick about this whole ordeal and what to do about it.

I have a 2008 Challenger SRT8 with only 43K miles that developed a loud tapping/ticking noise that was thought to be a bad lifter.

I found a reputable Mopar shop as recommended to me by the company from whom I purchased their SRT aftermarket cam.

In addition to replacing the cam and lifters I asked that he also drop my oil pan and check for any metal filings. The labor quote included cleaning the Oil pan and inspecting the bearings for damage due to metal filings.
After removal_The cam had about a 1/32" groove in one of the lobes.
According to the mechanic there was nothing to worry about after inspection of the oil_I also witnessed that he had indeed dropped the pan.
The oil screen at the base of the pump looked clean when I looked at it later.

According to the mechanic_after about the 5th run on the Dyno the engine seized up. He said that he had seen good oil pressure prior to the engine failure_he quoted seeing 60 lbs pressure
He also mentioned Dyno RPM ranges around 5000RPM

He pulled the motor today and showed me a burnt piston connecting rod bearing he pulled from one of my cylinders.
He's sending the engine off on Monday to have his engine guy pull the crank and inspect it and the associated parts.

Any suggestions or questions I should be asking him after inspection of the engine?
I really don't want to throw any more money at this but is there anything that can be done without alot of expense when the engine is apart and in this state?
Honestly I am not sure that I even want the car after all this.

I would truly appreciate all your comments because I am just sideways over this.

Last edited by gday111; 02-12-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:23 PM

I presume this happened as they where tuning the engine? Are logs available including AFR's? The only work they did was the cam and lifters? Did they make the original diagnosis?

2012 SRT automatic, PB 12.0490 with MT drag radials and trinity 93 octane tune.
PB [email protected], Magnuson supercharger 5.5psi, forged piston/rods, Hellcat injectors, 10/1 compression, tuned for 90 octane.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Matthews For This Useful Post:
gday111 (01-12-2019)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:30 PM

How could this possibly be the mechanics fault? The wearing of the cam caused the bearing problem. You could have had him check the bearings when the pan was off, he should have probably known that, but still, the problem was there, he didn't cause it.
The Following User Says Thank You to flammableHemi For This Useful Post:
gday111 (01-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I presume this happened as they where tuning the engine? Are logs available including AFR's? The only work they did was the cam and lifters? Did they make the original diagnosis?

yes this happened on one of the last Dyno runs according to the mechanic
I do not know if the AFRs are available
Yes only cam and lifters were replaced
The diagnosis was assumed prior to contacting this shop, I assumed he would confirm once he pulled it apart

Last edited by gday111; 01-12-2019 at 10:07 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammableHemi View Post
How could this possibly be the mechanics fault? The wearing of the cam caused the bearing problem. You could have had him check the bearings when the pan was off, he should have probably known that, but still, the problem was there, he didn't cause it.

My comment on the mechanics fault or oversight really has to do with the fact that he was supposed to check the bearings for damage as part of the repair process as we agreed upon in the repair quote.

Note that this bad lifter was not affecting anything other than me hearing the tapping_there was no misfiring etc.
I did drive the car for a short period of time at low speeds prior to the repair. i would guess a total of 100-200 miles at speeds of 40mph

Although the mechanic noted that he had seen good oil pressure during the Dyno he did say that after inspection and dropping the oil pan this was seemingly caused by low oil pressure if I remember him correctly.
Although to be fair he seemed to be questioning just what had actually happened

Last edited by gday111; 01-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 978 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gday111 View Post
I'm not as mechanically savvy as I would like to be so forgive my questions:
A bad lifter notching 1 cam lobe could have caused a bearing problem on the crankshaft?
Note that this bad lifter was not affecting anything other than me hearing the tapping_there was no misfiring etc.
I did drive the car for a short period of time at low speeds prior to the repair. i would guess a total of 100-200 miles at speeds of 40mph

Although the mechanic noted that he had seen good oil pressure during the Dyno he did say that after inspection and dropping the oil pan this was seemingly caused by low oil pressure if I remember him correctly.
Although to be fair he seemed to be questioning just what had actually happened

If there was metal wear on the cam lobe that metal went somewhere and that somewhere is all through the oiling system. So yes, metal wear on a cam lobe will introduce metal particles into the oil which will be pumped through the bearings.

.........Brett DiMichele
2011 Toxic Orange SRT8 "Toxy" (Supercherged)
2017 Mercedes Benz AMG C43 "Stormy" (Turbocherged)
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee "Rusty" (Worn out)
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxic11 For This Useful Post:
gday111 (01-12-2019)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
If there was metal wear on the cam lobe that metal went somewhere and that somewhere is all through the oiling system. So yes, metal wear on a cam lobe will introduce metal particles into the oil which will be pumped through the bearings.
That makes absolute sense and that was my original fear which is why I asked him to drop the oil pan.
However the mechanic did not see any evidence of substantial metal fillings and he did not seem at all concerned with this.
If I remember him correctly he said the screen would filter out those metal particles before causing any damage.
In fact he said he never dropped the oil pan when doing this sort of repair and I had to request that he did it on my car just for my own piece of mind.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 978 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gday111 View Post
That makes absolute sense and that was my original fear which is why I asked him to drop the oil pan.
However the mechanic did not see any evidence of substantial metal fillings and he did not seem at all concerned with this.
If I remember him correctly he said the screen would filter out those metal particles before causing any damage.
In fact he said he never dropped the oil pan when doing this sort of repair and I had to request that he did it on my car just for my own piece of mind.
The screen on the pickup is there to filter large chunks of metal, the oil filter is there to filter particles out of oil

down to about 10 microns. But it all depends on how the oil system routes through the engine. Typically in a V8

the oil is picked up from the pan by the strainer, it's then fed by the pump through the oil filter. The oil leaves the
filter under pressure where it's fed into the Camshaft and Main bearings from the Main bearings oil feeds the Rod bearings.
Oil fed to the Cam bearings will then be routed up to lubricate rockers, shafts, oil squirters etc. The

oil then gravity drains back to the pan through drainage holes in the block and heads.

You would think the contaminated oil would go back to the filter but it's very possible for particulates to make
it through the engine as nothing is 100%.

Last edited by Toxic11; 01-13-2019 at 12:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxic11 For This Useful Post:
gday111 (01-12-2019)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,558 Posts
Garage
your may have had a bearing that had greater clearance than spec and it spun and cut off the oil supply hole to that bearing and it seized.

If it appeared on multiple bearings, then it would indicate that oil passages were restricted or plugging up.

It could be that it was the just the right timing of events + 43K of wear that it happened.

Sorry to hear about the situation. Hopefully everything can be rebuilt and get you back on the road.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal H For This Useful Post:
gday111 (01-13-2019), Toxic11 (01-13-2019)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic11 View Post
The screen on the pickup is there to filter large chunks of metal, the oil filter is there to filter particles out of oil

down to about 10 microns. But it all depends on how the oil system routes through the engine. Typically in a V8

the oil is picked up from the pan by the strainer, it's then fed by the pump through the oil filter. The oil leaves the
filter under pressure where it's fed into the Camshaft and Main bearings from the Main bearings oil feeds the Rod bearings. Oil fed to the Cam bearings will then be routed up to lubricate rockers, shafts, oil squirters etc. The

oil then gravity drains back to the pan through drainage holes in the block and heads.

You would think the contaminated oil would go back to the filter but it's very possible for particulates to make
it through the engine as nothing is 100%.
I agree with this statement, a visual inspection of the oil pickup tube is no way to tell if there is damage throughout the engine from the metal introduced by the worn cam. The filter may get the worst of it but there is still exposure while the oil travels through the system to the filter. Also if you did any hard acceleration the bypass valve on the filter would have let unfiltered oil through the system. Personally I would have had the entire engine rebuilt if I had found a cam lobe ground down that far. Also depending on how much of the cam wore between oil changes it could have possibly maxed out the capacity of the oil filter to hold debris. I really think the issue is related to the cam going out.
The Following User Says Thank You to McCloud For This Useful Post:
gday111 (01-13-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode