SRT Background & Mission - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think Corvette does it right. Do you want a Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6 or ZR1? No lines blurred there. Forget having a ZO6 engine if you want a Grand Sport etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiHiHemi View Post
I think Corvette does it right. Do you want a Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6 or ZR1? No lines blurred there. Forget having a ZO6 engine if you want a Grand Sport etc.
That is a nice simple way to have a lineup. Though some believe the Z06 went too much like the previous ZR1, when it got supercharged in 2015.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

// 2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392, TR-6060, Billet Silver, SPAG
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda340 View Post
...while keeping the same basic body style.
Dodge didn't reach for the koolaid. They could have jumped on the update/modernize bandwagon as every other manufacturer has. They could have changed the look of the Challenger to try to boost sales, but they kept the same classic look that started it all way back in 1970. The Challenger remains the only car you can buy that looks like it nemesis from nearly 50 years ago. And as long as this strategy sells a reasonable number of new cars, we can enjoy buying brand new Challengers that look just like the ones we trade in.

Consider this: a while back, I read about one shop that will marry, for example, your 2018 Corvette with a 1967 body. It costs a small fortune. For those wanting retro looks with modern day performance, there's a way if ya got the bucks. But here we are in 2018... able to walk into any Dodge showroom and for a reasonable price: simply buy one. Life is good.

Last edited by garyahouse; 10-07-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
Dodge didn't reach for the koolaid. They could have jumped on the update/modernize bandwagon as every other manufacturer has. They could have changed the look of the Challenger to try to boost sales, but they kept the same classic look that started it all way back in 1970. The Challenger remains the only car you can buy that looks like it nemesis from nearly 50 years ago. And as long as this strategy sells a reasonable number of new cars, we can enjoy buying brand new Challengers that look just like the ones we trade in.

Consider this: a while back, I read about one shop that will marry, for example, your 2018 Corvette with a 1967 body. It costs a small fortune. For those wanting retro looks with modern day performance, there's a way if ya got the bucks. But here we are in 2018... able to walk into any Dodge showroom and for a reasonable price: simply buy one. Life is good.
Retro sells, but so do bragging rights. While keeping the styling proper, It's also important that they keep pushing what they can do with the performance. They've been doing a great job of it, with widebodies, 392s, Hellcat, Demons, Redeyes, and so on. That's the work of the SRT team. Just leaving it completely the same under the hood and chassis wouldn't keep it selling year after year the way it does.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemi41 View Post
Retro sells, but so do bragging rights.
Brilliant words, 41. Creative advertising doesn't hurt either. Years ago, manufacturers were scared to death of Washington, and in the middle seventies, nobody would have dared to air a commercial showing a car burning its tires up and down city streets. We've come a long way baby.

As I've said before, 95 percent of the people who would see and maybe appreciate the Challenger have no idea that an RT is any different from an SRT. I'll bet 25 percent don't know it's a Dodge and a good number would guess that it was a Charger. Within our little forum all this matters, but in the real world, a whole lotta people really don't know the difference and probably wouldn't care anyway.

Unrelated, but to prove a point: Years ago, many of my students thought the Hayubasa was the fastest thing on two wheels. None of them knew that Kawasaki had permanently dethroned the old boy back in 2012 with the advent of the mighty ZX14.

Last edited by garyahouse; 10-07-2018 at 10:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garyahouse For This Useful Post:
BlackHemi41 (10-08-2018), Klink (10-20-2018)
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,871 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyahouse View Post
As I've said before, 95 percent of the people who would see and maybe appreciate the Challenger have no idea that an R/T is any different from an SRT. I'll bet 25 percent don't know it's a Dodge and a good number would guess that it was a Charger. Within our little forum all this matters, but in the real world, a whole lotta people really don't know the difference and probably wouldn't care anyway.
You're 100% correct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:45 PM

As somewhat of a sidebar, I came of age during the late 60's, early 70' muscle car era. Lost my car interest in the late 70's and 80's. I would never have dreamed where we'd be at some 40 years later. It's great to be a born again car guy lol.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:40 AM

Cuda- thanks for the history of the SRT division, that is interesting. In the Midwest I didn't see many Mopar cars at all from the 60s and early 70s, the unibodies all rusted out.

I'm interested to know what is the relationship between Dodge/SRT and Arrow Racing? When I was researching a tuned Stage 1 PCM for the RT, I saw an article that made it look like Arrow built the motor for the Viper. Chime in.

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Customer Preferred Package 28J w/ Heated Leather Seats (awesome!) Automatic Transmission w/ MDS (24 mpg highway!) Super Track Pack (awesome!) Anti-spin Differential (only $100 bargain of the year!) HID Headlamps, Engine Block Heater (seemed like a good idea at the time...)
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,871 Posts
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Iron View Post
Cuda- thanks for the history of the SRT division, that is interesting. I'm interested to know what is the relationship between Dodge/SRT and Arrow Racing? When I was researching a tuned Stage 1 PCM for the RT, I saw an article that made it look like Arrow built the motor for the Viper. Chime in.

The Viper was initially conceived in late 1988 at Chrysler's Advanced Design Studios. Lamborghini (then owned by Chrysler) helped with the design of the V10 engine and casted a prototype aluminum block, based on Chrysler’s LA V8 engine (see link, below). A major contributor to the Viper since the beginning was Dick Winkles, the chief power engineer, who had spent time in Italy. The first retail shipments of the Viper began in January 1992.

Arrow Racing Engines,founded more than 30 years ago to support Chrysler Motorsports, Performance Parts and Production, was also involved with the Viper’s V10 engine development, as well as supporting design, research and testing. It later built all of the engines for Dodge’s Viper racing program. This resulted in victories in the 24 Hours of LeMans (the GT2 class), the Rolex Daytona 24, the 24 Hours of Nurburgring, and more.

Arrow Racing Engines was later acquired by Prefix which developed a custom 5th generation Viper convertible.

Here are the engine details:

https://www.powerperformancenews.com...-viper-motors/
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the Arrow history and info. Not to knock the Arrow products, but the tuned Stage 1 PCM in my 5.7L hemi Charger is a dud. I would advise anyone looking to do the Stage 1 package to forget the PCM as a waste, throw in the Mopar cone filter air intake and a performance exhaust, and call it good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode