Stuck in autostick/2nd gear/ BAS/ESP/traction control/engine light - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Stuck in autostick/2nd gear/ BAS/ESP/traction control/engine light

Okay so new to the forum but I’m having major problems and needs some help. Heres the issue

I’ve got a 2011 Automatic Challenger SRT8 392 hemi with only 12k miles on it. It has never been a daily driver, it’s been a night out kinda car or a just when I feel like driving it for the day kinda car. She stays put up in the garage 90% of the time until here recently I’ve been driving it more.

What’s going on is hard to explain, it started off not being an every day problem, now it’s constant and I’ve tried everything to get it right. First the BAS/ESP, traction control and engine lights came on and when I started the car and shifted it into D the whole car shifted forward very hard. Put it back into P, shifted back into D and still did the same thing. All 4 of those lights were on. So as I went to drive I’m thinking DAMN why are my RPM’s up to 3500 only going 20 mph. So it clicked I’m thinking oh I accidentally shifted -/+ and turned autostick on and need to shift up. Trying shifted to 2nd gear and nothing. Tried shifting down and nothing. Car has acceleration but the acceleration and RPM’s are not with each other like it’s supposed to be for an automatic car. Pulled into work put it in P hammered on the gas pedal, and turned it off. Left it off for a few seconds and turned it back on, all the lights went off, backed out put it in D and all was good. Did it a few more times that day but it went back and forth on driving normal and screwing up.

NOW— its CONSTANT. All the lights are still on, it’s stuck in Autostick you cannot shift -/+, can’t get back into Automatic, and will not leave 2nd gear. The transmission is not shifting gears. Like I said, the acceleration is there, I’m having to take off let it get up to 20-30 mph, remove my foot off the gas pedal, and then lay it on the floor get up to about 60mph with RPM’s shooting up to max and knock it into neutral and just coast until I come to redlight, stop sign, etc put it back into D and repeat the process all over again just to half ass drive the car.

Can ANYBODY help with this issue? Warranty is out due to my car being 7 years old but with 12k miles and it never being driven on a daily basis, I shouldn’t be having these problems. I’ve read possibly TCM or Rear Speed Sensor, but I just want somebody that has the exact same problems to advise exactly what this could be before I go replacing all kinds of shit playing the guessing game
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenLTeutsch View Post
Okay so new to the forum but I’m having major problems and needs some help. Heres the issue

I’ve got a 2011 Automatic Challenger SRT8 392 hemi with only 12k miles on it. It has never been a daily driver, it’s been a night out kinda car or a just when I feel like driving it for the day kinda car. She stays put up in the garage 90% of the time until here recently I’ve been driving it more.

What’s going on is hard to explain, it started off not being an every day problem, now it’s constant and I’ve tried everything to get it right. First the BAS/ESP, traction control and engine lights came on and when I started the car and shifted it into D the whole car shifted forward very hard. Put it back into P, shifted back into D and still did the same thing. All 4 of those lights were on. So as I went to drive I’m thinking DAMN why are my RPM’s up to 3500 only going 20 mph. So it clicked I’m thinking oh I accidentally shifted -/+ and turned autostick on and need to shift up. Trying shifted to 2nd gear and nothing. Tried shifting down and nothing. Car has acceleration but the acceleration and RPM’s are not with each other like it’s supposed to be for an automatic car. Pulled into work put it in P hammered on the gas pedal, and turned it off. Left it off for a few seconds and turned it back on, all the lights went off, backed out put it in D and all was good. Did it a few more times that day but it went back and forth on driving normal and screwing up.

NOW— its CONSTANT. All the lights are still on, it’s stuck in Autostick you cannot shift -/+, can’t get back into Automatic, and will not leave 2nd gear. The transmission is not shifting gears. Like I said, the acceleration is there, I’m having to take off let it get up to 20-30 mph, remove my foot off the gas pedal, and then lay it on the floor get up to about 60mph with RPM’s shooting up to max and knock it into neutral and just coast until I come to redlight, stop sign, etc put it back into D and repeat the process all over again just to half ass drive the car.

Can ANYBODY help with this issue? Warranty is out due to my car being 7 years old but with 12k miles and it never being driven on a daily basis, I shouldn’t be having these problems. I’ve read possibly TCM or Rear Speed Sensor, but I just want somebody that has the exact same problems to advise exactly what this could be before I go replacing all kinds of shit playing the guessing game

Is it throwing up any codes you can check with a scan tool?

Have you tried taking it to a dealer so they can at least hazard a guess as to what's going on?

2016 Dodge Challenger R/T 392
Jazz Blue, A8, Driver Convenience Group

2018 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab
Bright White, A8+V6
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,569 Posts
Garage
Your transmission is going into what's referred to "limp home" mode where you only get Reverse and 2nd gear.

You'll need to have codes read to see which system to trace down that is causing the errors.

That puts things on the the path to troubleshoot where causes may lie. I could be sensors, issues with valve body, trans solenoids (there's several) or conductor plate or an external module or sensor.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 11:09 AM

Speed sensor gone out forcing it into limp mode. Do it yourself. Easy, check you tube. You will get raped at the dealer. If you can't do it go to a good local mechanic. He will charge half or more less than a dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SRT8 Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode