130k and counting... - Page 6 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,365 Times in 990 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I can confirm that is an actual image of one of the many boil-overs that occurred that night.

However, the source of that particular explosion wasn’t actually my car’s cooling system. Nope, that one happened to me when I called the wife to come help me for the second time that night by bringing some tools and more water, and having her respond, “Eff THAT, and Eff YOU! I ain’t bringing you or that piece of shit car ANYTHING!! If you can’t drive it home, then you can WALK!!”

<click>

<dial tone>

It was at that very instant, as the reality of the situation was becoming crystal clear in my brain, that I looked up and saw the 2 Carrollton cops maneuvering to get me from both sides with their dash cams, in preparation to initiate contact with the suspect, err me.

And in that nanosecond of time, when it all finally sank in, the hours of frustration already endured, the coming hours of frustration no doubt ahead, and being intentionally left alone, out in the cold (literally!) that I suddenly and unexpectedly just boiled-over.

I didn’t go all whacko and get tased or anything. Hell, I didn’t even inadvertaintly take the Lord’s name in vane like I have been known to do (maybe coasting into that massive Baptist church’s parking lot wasn’t just a random chance occurrence?). No, I merely crammed it all down, locked it away, and saved it for later. After all, I had 2 of Carrollton’s finest ready to begin their field interrogation exercises.

But make no mistake, I did boil over.

I overheated for sure, and I am quite certain I even warped a head while doing it. Cause, ever since then, I ain’t been right, you know, in the head.

I can taste colors now, and even smell some sounds too. Plus, I have had a tremendous headache ever since. (Has anyone else ever bled from their tear ducts for an extended period of time? No really, I’m starting to worry...anyway...)

THAT is what got imaged in that particular GIF of yours @ChallyTatum . And I will say that It has some truly stunning clarity and color too. Tastes weird though, almost like antifungal cream icing on a couch cushion cake....

Anyway, I gotta cut this short (Ha!), my eyes wont stop watering and I’m getting light headed, kinda like after you give blood...

Nuke, OUT!

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuke For This Useful Post:
72/340 (12-20-2018), GAHemiguy (01-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
And lest anyone think I’m holding my car responsible or otherwise mistreating her for being at the center of so much turmoil, allow me to alay those fears now. I hold no I’ll will toward The Bacon Hauler. She’s a machine with machine limits, and she reacts accordingly when pushed up to those limits.

No, I have even found the time and energy to dress her up a little, while also modding her to help extend her life and increase the efficiency with which she burns hydrocarbons mixed with oxygen: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mU31oYRzovfMXbAK6

It ain’t much, and it certainly ain’t pretty, but it’s functional. And it makes us both happy.

So THERE!
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:53 PM

"I will say that I got tired of paying $20 a gallon for the Zerex G-05..."

"So the most recent flush and fill (and hopefully the last!) I went with OAT (Dexcool)..."

Using Dex-Cool is a Major Mistake. When I bought my LT1 Chevrolet used with 82,000 miles, it had the original Dex-Cool antifreeze in the radiator. Since I bought it in the spring, I didn't turn on the heat until October, when nothing happened. Researching on my forum, I had to buy some hose and backflush the heater core, like a mini-radiator in the firewall. The water that came out was brown, and after that, I had heat in the car.

Typically every spring or summer I would drain the radiator, then refresh with Zerex G-05 and distilled water, plus backflush the heater core again. For at least five years after purchase, if not more, I flushed brown sludge out of the heater core.

Anyone else reading this, Do Not use Dex-Cool anti-freeze in these cars, it turns to sludge.

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus Customer Preferred Package 28J w/ Heated Leather Seats (awesome!) Automatic Transmission w/ MDS (24 mpg highway!) Super Track Pack (awesome!) Anti-spin Differential (only $100 bargain of the year!) HID Headlamps, Engine Block Heater (seemed like a good idea at the time...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,362 Times in 2,571 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 Iron View Post

"So the most recent flush and fill (and hopefully the last!) I went with OAT (Dexcool)..."

Using Dex-Cool is a Major Mistake. When I bought my LT1 Chevrolet used with 82,000 miles, it had the original Dex-Cool antifreeze in the radiator. Since I bought it in the spring, I didn't turn on the heat until October, when nothing happened. Researching on my forum, I had to buy some hose and backflush the heater core, like a mini-radiator in the firewall. The water that came out was brown, and after that, I had heat in the car.

Typically every spring or summer I would drain the radiator, then refresh with Zerex G-05 and distilled water, plus backflush the heater core again. For at least five years after purchase, if not more, I flushed brown sludge out of the heater core.

Anyone else reading this, Do Not use Dex-Cool anti-freeze in these cars, it turns to sludge.
I had the same experience with a friend's late 90s Chevy S10. It had Dex-Cool from new; all sorts of sludge issues with the cooling system over the years.

It had been flushed / cleaned in past services. When I took a look at it last year, there was no heat coming from the heater core.

Globby chucks of goo came out - took the hoses off the engine and flushed the heater core directly...I never saw so much gunk come out of any system. Got the heat to work...but the heater core began leaking later on.

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15

Last edited by Hal H; 01-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 04:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had 42K on my original tires with a lot of tread left on my old car's tires. I only changed them at 42K because the pothole damage had them wearing unevenly and 2 of them had more than one plug in them, and the plug somehow on one started leaking. I changed the tires and did an alignment just after I had replaced the sway bar links for the 3rd or 4th time. Soon after that, I replaced the "Tension Struts" with better than OE aftermarket ones that had lifetime warranties and a zerk on them, and were way cheaper than the factory ones.

My original battery was still working fine, but if I had kept the car, I was going to replace it before it got cold out, as I didn't want to push it. Previous to my '03 Ram, I had never had a battery last more than two years, I had the Ram for almost 5 years with the OE battery in it, and I was about to change it about the time I traded it on my '08 Charger R/T.

King, my "Dog of a lifetime" 12/23/1998-12/13/2012, Super smart, super stubborn, and, as a couple of dog trainers said, "King is an Evil Genius", "He has zero tolerance for idiots, human or dog!". Stupid people were ignored.

2018 Challenger R/T Scatpack, TorRed, A8, Dynamics package, HK Stereo, Leather, Convenience package.
Bought 7/14/18.
Best E.T.- [email protected] (by the dash timer)

2010 Challenger R/T, auto, in Hemi Orange. Traded on 7/14/18.
Best E.T.- [email protected]
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I had heard all the horror stories and seen the gory pictures before I decided to go over to the dark (Orange) side, so I did a lot of research on the stuff before I decided to pull the trigger.

Long story short, I am unconcerned about having the gasket or slushing issues in my particular application. Nevertheless, I will certainly keep an eye on it and make sure it is maintained well within its recommended intervals, and if I do get kicked in the groin, I will switch back to G-05 and promptly report my failure so that others may avoid similar issues.

Heck, I’m already ahead by switching - I just had to swap the radiator out AGAIN last night, which means another gallon purchased and another $6 saved over the G-05.

So far, that’s $24 I’ve saved by switching. Pretty soon I’ll be able to buy my next radiator!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal H View Post
Quote:

I had the same experience with a friend's late 90s Chevy S10. It had Dex-Cool from new; all sorts of sludge issues with the cooling system over the years.

It had been flushed / cleaned in past services. When I took a look at it last year, there was no heat coming from the heater core.

Globby chucks of goo came out - took the hoses off the engine and flushed the heater core directly...I never saw so much gunk come out of any system. Got the heat to work...but the heater core began leaking later on.
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,886 Times in 2,933 Posts
Garage
Are these radiators you are buying Swiss?

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Click image for larger version

Name:	0825BF62-BD13-4E67-8F06-D55AEFD4FEA3_1546496399197.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	936761
Quote:
Originally Posted by a guy View Post
are these radiators you are buying swiss?

A guy
Click image for larger version

Name:	0825BF62-BD13-4E67-8F06-D55AEFD4FEA3_1546496399197.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	936761
post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,886 Times in 2,933 Posts
Garage
You in a war zone!! That's not subtle.

A Guy
post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:07 PM

That's an extra air inlet, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Challenger R/T

5.7L HEMI V8, Auto Trans
Roto-Fab CAI
NAVandTV2GO MyGig Lockpick V2
Sequential Taillights
JBA Stainless Catback Exhaust
Diablosport Predator Tuner
JET 180 Thermostat
Billet Technologies Stainless Catch Can
General G-MAX AS-03 tires
Window Tint & Custom Stripes
Slotted & Cross Drilled Rotors w/ Ceramic Pads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode