Did you ever have one of those days? - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Did you ever have one of those days?

So Saturday was going to be the first nice and warm day without rain we've had this year here in the Northeast.
I had already informed the girlfriend to find something to do because I was going to spend the day with Rosy my 2019 R/T Shaker.
First thing is to install the splash guards Santa brought me. So I drag out my ancient floor jack from the shed and a couple pieces of 2x12 to drive up on because the jack wont fit under otherwise.
Cordless drill, various snips, torque wrench,socket set, radio, garden hose, bucket of soapy water scrub brush, wax, mf towels and time to rock&roll.
Get the rear wheel off, washed and waxed both sides. Cut the top 2 plastic rivets off for the splash guards and the screws that came with them are too small. WTF!!!
Put the wheel back on and because I live off a main street I cant leave everything in my driveway so I drag most everything to the back of the house and drive across town to autozone.
Bought various types of push pins christmas tree type fasteners and since it was nearby a run to wallyworld for 2 5qt jugs of Pennsoil, 899 filter and a 2 qt plastic jug to measure out the extra 2qts I'll need.
1 1/2 hrs later I'm back home bringing everything back to the front of the house.
Every type of fastener I tried was either too small or too big. F it. I'll just order the oem splash guards and be done with it.
Pulled the other 3 wheels off and got them all cleaned up and waxed.

Brought out my Rhino ramps and drove around the neighborhood to warm the oil up. Have to drive onto 2x12s in front of the ramps otherwise the chin spoiler would hit.
Pull off the shaker, loosen the oil cap and crawl under the car with a drain pan, 10 & 13mm sockets, strap wrench and new filter.
Can't get the factory installed filter off!!! Strap wrench fits but no room to get any leverage.
It also looks like the 899 filter is too big. There is some kind of rubber thing about 1/4 inch away from one side of the filter and the metal plate is barely wider then the filter thats on there now so I'm thinking the wider 899 if it even does get by the rubber thing is going to hang over the other side thus not making a tight seal.

Girlfriends not home, her cars parked in front of my Jeep, no keys to be found and doesn't answer her phone sooo.. Everything gets put away again and off to autozone again.
Autozone doesn't have a 339 filter so I've got to fight the wallyworld crowds again.
Pick up a A cap type filter wrench and a jaws type wrench along with a 339 filter.
Back home again and the A cap wrench just spins and jaws type hits the rubber thingy.
The hell with it. I'll just take the oil & filter to a local garage pay him $20 or whatever and let him deal with it.
I'm getting too old for this shit. A whole day shot to hell. Might as well have rained all day.

And as I layed in bed sat night I was thinking I'm not going to let a simple oil change defeat me so naturally it rained on sunday.

Has anyone with a 2019 5.7 done an oil change and can you confirm the 899 or srt filter will fit?
I'm only at 1400 miles so I've still got some time but I will let you know when I get it done and post some pics showing whats there.
I need a garage and some Quick lifts.

Last edited by skynyed; 05-20-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:34 PM

I feel your pain..I just take my car to the stealership for oil changes anymore. Just don't want the hassle. I have the SRT filter on my R/T now...it's for the 5.7 and the 392.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living my life....one quarter mile at a time
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Yep I use the SRT filter on my 2015 5.7
Also go to my dealership where I bought my car
Get synthetic oil filter tire rotated 85.00 out the door
Also do not want the hassle . Guess iam lucky my dealership
is great never a problem with service and there very carful with my
Green Girl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 sublime RT plus / STP, sun roof, Corsa sport
Mopar CAI, Scat Stage1 Mopar PCM,Mopar Front tower strut with billet caps
Billet Technology Catch Can and ID plate ,,Window tint with windshield strip , Mopar trunk mat, dead pedal. Asanti chrome wheels with BF Comp-2 A/S
Mr Kustom Green Challenger puddle lights.Green Diode Dynamics engine bay lights .
Old school pin striping by Dagger Lynn. Headrest embroidered by A~Z Design ,Pedal Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:40 PM

I’m 54 and I still do as much maintenance as possible, up to and including my 2018 RAM 4500 Cab & Chassis (oil changes, replacing both fuel filters, air filter, front and rear differential services, transfer case services, transmission services, CCV Filter, and those fun tire rotations with those lightweight 19.5” 14 ply tire and wheel assemblies).

The ONLY time I darken the dealership is when there is a warranty claim.

It is, however, refreshing to see some of you guys have good dealership experiences with routine maintenance.

The 3.6L in the wife’s 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited and the 5.7L in the 2018 Challenger T/A Plus will be a piece of cake!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47700E6C-F170-4C18-8286-53FB74925259.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	918.6 KB
ID:	946149  

2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket, Quick Order Package 28Q, Driver Convenience Group, Sound Group II, 5.7L HEMI and 8HP Automatic, Power Sunroof, and UConnect 4C w/NAVI.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Picked up a spring loaded wrench. Took the filter right off.
Where the filter mounts the base plate is very small and the original filter did hang over about 1/4 in at the front side.
I tried the 899 filter and it did fit, hanging over about 3/4 inch but I also noticed that the rubber gaskets were the same size so I don't think the bigger filter would leak. I believe the SRT filters are the same size as the 899.

I just didn't feel 100% comfortable with the 899 so I used the 339.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_121435.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	946671   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_114044_005.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	946673   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_114445.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	946675   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190601_114714.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	946677  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode