Looking at Challengers would like advice - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger R/T Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Looking at Challengers would like advice

I’m looking at used challengers and I figured a forum dedicated to them would be the place to ask. I’m looking at 5.7 R/T cars for a daily. I’m wondering if there are certain years to avoid or issues to look for beyond normal used car stuff. I’ve read a few things online about issues with the timing chain on some of the automatic models with the cylinder deactivation breaking?? This will be used for a daily driver not really looking to mod or race the car. Are people getting high mileage out of the challengers I’m guessing they are probably at least gonna go 200K miles like most modern cars. Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:47 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Best advice at this point is you use the search function of this site. This topic has been discussed several times and there is good solid info to be found.

Mike
(Fyrdude)

2015 SRT 392 6 speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,315 Times in 954 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
I知 looking at used challengers and I figured a forum dedicated to them would be the place to ask. I知 looking at 5.7 R/T cars for a daily. I知 wondering if there are certain years to avoid or issues to look for beyond normal used car stuff. I致e read a few things online about issues with the timing chain on some of the automatic models with the cylinder deactivation breaking?? This will be used for a daily driver not really looking to mod or race the car. Are people getting high mileage out of the challengers I知 guessing they are probably at least gonna go 200K miles like most modern cars. Advice?
The timing chain issues was the subject of an official recall, so you can use any prospective cars' VINs to look up the status of all their recalls. If a car falls under the "affected" list for the timing chain issue, you'll see an entry on its recall report along with a status for whether or not the recall fix has been performed on the car. If it has, you're good to go. If it has not, you could theoretically use that to your advantage when negotiating the price.

The issue you're referring to with the cylinder deactivation stuff is related to roller lifters becoming frozen and chewing up the camshaft. It has been associated with the MDS system in the engines which power cars with automatic transmissions (manual transmission cars do not have the MDS system on their engines). However, there is no official cause yet determined, and as such, associating the problem with only auto trans cars is not wise. In fact, some cars without MDS have experienced the problem, so it can happen to any Hemi realistically.

Currently there is no recall or even official acknowledgment of the frozen lifter/camshaft problem, so there is no recall...or even TSB. You can check any prospective car's service history via CarFax, and thereby determine if the car has already experienced the camshaft failure problem. But that's about all you can do at this point. It could happen to any Hemi, and if it happens, you'll be on the hook for the repairs. If Dodge ever acknowledges it and issues a recall, then they will start paying for such failures obviously.

It should be noted that the rate of failure for the camshaft issue is relatively minor considering how many Hemis are on the road. However, it is greater than zero percent chance it could happen to any given Hemi, and therefore it's definitely worth keeping in mind.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM

There is not any particular model year to avoid that I have noticed over the past decade that I have been following the car. For the R/T model 2009-2010 would be the first generation. 2011-2014 is the second generation and saw minor interior and exterior changes and very few if any mechanical/suspension changes. 2015-forseaable future is the 3rd generation and there were major changes. A very different interior and a new 8 speed automatic transmission and suspension modifications plus noticeable styling changes to the front and rear of the car.

2012 SRT automatic, PB 12.0490 with MT drag radials and trinity 93 octane tune.

Labor Day 2018, maguson supercharger 5.5psi, forged piston/rods, Hellcat injectors, 10/1 compression, tuned for 90 octane. [email protected] with lots of room for improvement.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
I知 looking at used challengers and I figured a forum dedicated to them would be the place to ask. I知 looking at 5.7 R/T cars for a daily. I知 wondering if there are certain years to avoid or issues to look for beyond normal used car stuff. I致e read a few things online about issues with the timing chain on some of the automatic models with the cylinder deactivation breaking?? This will be used for a daily driver not really looking to mod or race the car. Are people getting high mileage out of the challengers I知 guessing they are probably at least gonna go 200K miles like most modern cars. Advice?

Others have responded regarding the MDS.

While I have not managed to put big miles on my Challenger Hellcat (I don't drive it that much) I have on other cars and the Challenger, any Challenger, should be capable of big miles with the right treatment and a bit of luck.

Absent being subjected to harsh/severe use, track time, the engine doesn't have to work very hard to move the car around. So a bigger engine is lightly stressed and should last for hundreds of thousands of miles.The same applies to the running gear: Transmission, differential, even the clutch.

Don't recall my source but 10,000 hours of run time was given as the run time a car engine could be expected to deliver. At 30mph average speed (which believe it or not is about "average") this works out to 300,000 miles. I have taken one car to 300K+ miles and the engine was just fine, pretty near the entire car was fine, albeit cosmetically -- mainly clear coat was peeling -- not as good looking as it was new. Might mention too the car was on its original clutch although it was clear from the pedal pressure required to work the clutch the clutch was due to be replaced.

Regular and proper servicing are very important. And luck.

Generally speaking the newer the car model the better, and a model towards the end of a model run rather than one from the start is preferred. The idea is cars built in the last year or so have had upgrades -- public and stealthy -- applied which means most of the bugs have been eliminated.

For instance John mentions the model years 2011 to 2014. Thus a 2014 example would be preferred over a 2011 example, all other things being equal.

The car will not obtain big miles without manifesting some problems as the miles accumulate. To prevent relatively small problems from turning into potentially big problems you need to pay attention to what the car is telling you via noises, leak sign, odor (a sign of a leak), changing fluid levels, etc.

Over 300K+ miles almost certainly a water pump will need to be replaced. Maybe a radiator. Hoses too possibly. To prolong the life of the water pump, and hoses, my advice is to every 4 years or so drain the cooling system and refill it with fresh mix of the proper anti-freeze and distilled water. This helps prolong the life of the water pump seals and bearings and the hoses. A car I bought in 2002 and drove for nearly 16 years and 317K miles had its original hoses. The water pump lasted 172K miles.

The fuel pump will probably quit at some point. Just so happened in my case the thing died as I was backing the car out of its parking space at home. (At 200K miles.)

Other things can go wrong. From a coolant tank to an alternator. From a headlight switch to a hydraulic spoiler deployment system. From a brake light (and other switches in the same area) switch to window regulators (the hardware that raises/lowers the door windows). From an ignition switch to a noisy idler roller bearing of the accessory drive system.

You can't stop these or other things from wearing out all you can do is recognize the signs of pending more serious problems and address these sooner rather than later.

No noisy water pump or coolant leak ever got better with more engine run time.

It is important to keep any body water drains free of any trash (mainly plant litter) build up. With some cars if a body water drain gets plugged up rain (or wash) water can collect and overflow and often if it overflows it lets water flow where it shouldn't.

Any signs of moisture in the cabin or trunk area is something that needs to be addressed.

Keep the car clean and looking as nice as you can. A good looking car helps make the car one you want to spend money on to address things. While some things can be rather expensive if the rest of the car is in good shape and the car looks reasonably good far better to spend say $2000 for a new clutch than try to replace the car.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:20 AM

the 6 spd cars require premium fuel the automatics run on mid grade so if fuel cost is an issue for you there you have it.

If it fits your budget I'd shoot for a 15 or later. Also if you like "gadgets" find one with the super track pack option.

If you're not fixed on a 5.7 you may want to consider a 3.6 version for a daily. They have plenty of pep and can be had with lots of goodies. If you aren't going to track the car and you're not into street racing then other than the "it's got a V8" factor the 3.6 is probably a more logical choice. Just a thought, don't want to stir up the V8 or die crowd.

2010 R/T 6spd Stone White - sold.
2013 Jazz Blue SXT Plus W/ Super Sport Group
72 Charger Rallye 440/4spd since 1994
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate the responses guys, I have drives a V6 model and your right it is a great car and very peppy but I’m kinda stuck on having the V8 even though I drive like a grandpa
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Garage
Hemi Growl

Quote:
I appreciate the responses guys, I have drives a V6 model and your right it is a great car and very peppy but I知 kinda stuck on having the V8 even though I drive like a grandpa
Hemi Growl - nuf said...

Drove the v6, nope bought the 5.7 and woulda bought the scat pack if I woulda had more money and insurance.

2018 Fate RT She-Hulk
Is that a Dodge Challenger? Yup and you can't drive it..
That's a nice Dodge Charger! Sorry whats a Dodge Charger..
I'm sorry your wife made you buy a Minivan..
Can you drive that thing in the Winter? Hell Yeah hold my Beer..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
..... not really looking to mod or race the car.
and this is how we all start...lol.
fast fwd 2 yrs later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	943633  

2015 Mods:
Hellcat Intake w/ AEM hi-flow filter.
GenPartsCo-USA D.I.P.S. air catcher screens.
Axis Model II's.
Firestone Indy 275/40/20
Rolling Thunder Reso delete.
Exteremevinyls side marker tints.
GPC Trunk Pull Handle.
Spare/Jack/Foam Delete.
GPC Phantoms.
Mopar O.E. Black Fuel Door.
Hellcat OE. ABS Cover.
Rear Seat Delete.
2014 Dodge Viper Seats.
Custom Fire Extinguisher & Mount.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,315 Times in 954 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi4us View Post
and this is how we all start...lol.
fast fwd 2 yrs later...
HAHA!! So true. I'm the same way when I start drinking - I don't start out to get drunk, but...

"One's too many, and twelve just ain't enough!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger R/T Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode