Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Upgrade to a 5.7 R/T Plus

15K views 70 replies 19 participants last post by  jpferry315 
#1 ·
I was down at my local dealer getting the oil changed on my 2017 SXT Plus and see they finally got a couple of R/T Plus cars in stock. I took one for a spin and have to say it won't be long till I talk myself into it. I figured I could get some more motivation here. I have a company car for work so my SXT is a weekend driver with about 7K in 2 years. I did all the bolt on mods and have her looking pretty mean. Pitch Black with blacktop package. I could always lease now to get into the car and buy it out after. I'm breaking even on my SXT so not underwater. Just had to vent cause this will overrun my mind that I have to have it. I just love the V8 active exhaust note. Still needs to be lower so another set of springs will be a must. Thanks for letting me vent.

#3 ·
Good Idea. The Stage 1 on an R/T should be about a 1 inch drop. I did the Eibach Pro kit and dropped the SXT 1.5 inch. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
My dealership offers me free oil change for this exact reason. I try not to look and stay in the service area. There is a green one that reminds me of my uncle's Barracuda.

If you can afford it, get it. Know that they will profit from the new one, and you will "loose" money on the old. You sound like you already know what you are doing.

Challenger is a car to enjoy.

Go for it.

#5 ·
My dealership offers me free oil change for this exact reason. I try not to look and stay in the service area. There is a green one that reminds me of my uncle's Barracuda.

If you can afford it, get it. Know that they will profit from the new one, and you will "lose" money on the old. You sound like you already know what you are doing.

Challenger is a car to enjoy.

Go for it.
Yes, the nature of the car dealer. But hey you only live once. I'm heading down now to get some real numbers. I know to the dealer my mods are worthless, but I'm sure they will profit from them when they sell my SXT. I may or may not pull the trigger tonight but get some numbers. My car should bring 22k wholesale and at least 3k off the new one. Will report back.

Reactions: silver scat
#6 ·
many dealers dont like any mods done and it will hamper resale, so dont be surprised if they come back with an offer for less than expected.
Others dont care eitherway.
Exhaust mods or anything violating emissions, or safety is a no go, even in less restricted states..in which case, I hope you saved your oem parts, ask me how I know..lol
best of luck, hope you snag the R/T!!

#7 ·
I just did a cat back, CAI, and springs and have all OEM parts in the garage but true they will usually hit you but nothing that made a warranty impact and could be changed back to stock if needed and with OEM parts I should not expect too much of a mod impact on the trade value. I may even try to list it myself as its a decent looking SXT Plus with less than 7k on it and get fair retail. Good to have options.

#8 ·
If it were me, I’d take the Eibach springs off the old one and put them on the new one.

#9 · (Edited)
Great idea. The SXT plus and R/T I believe they will fit. I like the 1.5 drop as its close in stance to an SRT8.

#13 ·
I’m sure I would end up with a Scat Pack. There was one sitting next to the R/T Plus. Very tempting

#14 · (Edited)
Well, I have been trying to get a solid quote. I always negotiate the sales price before I tell them I am going to lease as I think buying the car(now) will put it out of reach payment wise. I even took my trade out of the picture and was going off their website price of 6K+ off sticker. I wish dealers where more transparent with internet pricing, have to live here and be a member of that, you know the drill. Well I am no further a long and just might hold onto my SXT Plus for another year. I gave it a try but the Local Dodge dealers (NJ) are a pain to deal with.

#20 · (Edited)
I gave it a try but Dodge dealers are the worst to deal with.
Don’t categorize all Dodge dealers by the results of your individual findings.

Additionally.......don’t be afraid to work a deal through email and email only.

I sought many deals via email when I bought the T/A for my daughter. I had previously bought her a 2016 SXT Plus, but I bought it at such a good deal that I received within $1,460 of what I paid for it two years and 12k miles previously.

Be diligent and keep searching......the deals are out there. I bought my T/A Plus at Cogdill Dodge in Knoxville, TN. The rebates in my region amounted to $4,000 plus I got $3,404 off (all the profit of $2,010 and 100% of the $1,394 holdback). Keep in mind this was on a 400 day old 2018.......but it was the trim level and color the daughter wanted. It was hard to get her to contain her excitement during the test drive as well as during pickup of the car. I also had them knock off $400 off of their documentary fees. Having a 797 credit score helped, as well as telling them I’m looking at a similar car in Nashville, TN.

Attachments

Reactions: jpferry315
#18 · (Edited)

Yes, it would be hard to let her go at this point. I stand to lose over 10k for 7,000 miles. I think I talked myself out of it for now. The 2020 refresh is coming and may make the 2019's a better deal. Still hard to find a decent dealer. After thinking, the dealer experience made me change my mind. Not a bad looking SXT. IMO

I like this advice. Whatever upgrade FCA will make, it will make you feel better "paying" for it monthly knowing that it's the latest and different than what you got.

But honestly, your Challengers looks awesome.

#16 · (Edited)

Yes, it would be hard to let her go at this point. I stand to lose over 10k for 7,000 miles. I think I talked myself out of it for now. The 2020 refresh is coming and may make the 2019's a better deal. Still hard to find a decent dealer. After thinking, the dealer experience made me change my mind. Not a bad looking SXT. IMO

#17 ·
That whole headache you're encountering is definitely a pain to deal with, and you can't escape it, dealerships everywhere are like that. There is a very successful business (Autoflex Leasing) here in the Metroplex that started out as a way for ordinary people to lease a vehicle without all that hassle. They deal with the dealerships for you, and you just worry about the important stuff, like what color and mileage allowance.

You know the dealerships are intentionally being hard to deal with when their tactics are so extreme that whole "middlemen" businesses sprout up in response to their tactics.

#19 ·
I was down at my local dealer getting the oil changed on my 2017 SXT Plus and see they finally got a couple of R/T Plus cars in stock. I took one for a spin and have to say it won't be long till I talk myself into it. I figured I could get some more motivation here. I have a company car for work so my SXT is a weekend driver with about 7K in 2 years. I did all the bolt on mods and have her looking pretty mean. Pitch Black with blacktop package. I could always lease now to get into the car and buy it out after. I'm breaking even on my SXT so not underwater. Just had to vent cause this will overrun my mind that I have to have it. I just love the V8 active exhaust note. Still needs to be lower so another set of springs will be a must. Thanks for letting me vent.
I know it's not the same, but you can achieve a damned good WOT sound with the 3.6L if you replace the air intake tube and its integrated noise baffle with the right kind of aftermarket CAI (read: one which is not meant to maintain the noise reduction at WOT like the stock design does):

I saw that you mentioned you had already installed an aftermarket CAI. What kind/brand is it?

As a point of reference, I was able to achieve the sound recorded in that YouTube clip with the CAI model Injen sells for the 3.6L in these cars.

#23 ·
I know it's not the same, but you can achieve a damned good WOT sound with the 3.6L if you replace the air intake tube and its integrated noise baffle with the right kind of aftermarket CAI (read: one which is not meant to maintain the noise reduction at WOT like the stock design does):

Pentastar with Injen CAI in the Passing Lane - YouTube

I saw that you mentioned you had already installed an aftermarket CAI. What kind/brand is it?

As a point of reference, I was able to achieve the sound recorded in that YouTube clip with the CAI model Injen sells for the 3.6L in these cars.
Thanks for the video, sounds great. My CAI is a K&H and I have the Flowmaster Cat Back. I have a very similar WOT but you have it nailed. Best V6 WOT IMO. I will research the air intake tube. I also take the ring out of the drivers headlight to open up even more airflow. My car has never seen rain so not to worry about my filter getting wet.

#22 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I also did not want to bash all Dodge dealers as I had just spent a couple of hours at one when I wrote the post. I am sure there are plenty of great dealers out there, just my local dealers have not been very transparent and hey they are in business to make a profit and the car I was looking at was fresh off the truck. Thanks for some great idea's like swapping springs.

GS...I did reach out to a couple of dealers via email. Thanks for the tip. They are out of my area but have the right car and I already have a response from them. I think I will at least get a solid quote on a lease and an out the door price to run payments buying the car and finance with my CU where I have my loan now and make a decision based on my 3 options. Keep, Lease or Buy.

Reactions: GSBrockman
#24 ·
Just wanted to update as I found a very good dealer who gave me something to think about. I found an F8 Green R/T I can trade my car and have a lower payment, drawback...it's a lease. I am almost 2 years into paying off my SXT Plus. If I lease the R/T I have nothing after 3 years, if I keep my car I will almost have a clear title after 3 years. Numbers for a Scat Pack coming today but still thinking of keeping my car. One thing I did not mention before is that I'm 4-5 years away from retirement and keeping my SXT Plus will give me a payment free Challenger. If I lease I will have to buy the car out and make payments for another 4-5 years. The cost of those 2 cylinders. LOL

#25 ·
To me, it's a no-brainer to keep your current Challenger - *especially* considering that you are retiring soon. Do you really want a car payment while retired?

How often will you *really* need/use the extra power provided by the V8? While it may be fun every once in a while to "punch it", the vast majority of the time, the power provided by the V6 is more than enough, unless you are going to the track or something.

Something else to consider - insurance costs will be significantly higher for a V8 Challenger than they are for a V6 Challenger. Obviously, there will be more fuel costs as well.

There is something to be said about having a payment-free vehicle. :)

But in the end, only *you* can make the decision as to what's worth it or not. :) I just know that retired folks typically have to manage their money better than someone that is actively working.

You already have a beautiful Challenger.

#26 ·
Thanks and yes keeping my car is the best way but it was fun thinking about it and everything you said is correct. This was my plan when I first purchased my Challenger. I have a company car so I can keep the Challenger in the garage and in like new condition and have her paid off at retirement.

#29 ·
Was curious so I did a search - first thing I found this YouTube video:

His insurance for an SXT V6 was $250/month

His insurance for a Hellcat was $800/month (!!)

Granted, we are talking SXT vs. Hellcat here, but it's still V6->V8. :)

Obviously, he rates are sky-high becuase he is 17 years old, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless... The actual cost isn't what is important - but the difference in costs.

Curious to hear the difference between an SXT and an R/T.....

No idea how in the hell a 17 year old can afford $800/month for insurance alone! Geez...

#32 ·
I have to chuckle at how you non-chalantly say “it’s just one data point”.....but yet your previous blanket statement using the word “significant” came over so matter-of-factly......

$46.70 ends up being a 9.37% increase.....over six months. That’s $0.26 per day. I am sorry.....$0.26 per day.....I gotta laugh. If I were a guessing person, I’d almost bet a large percentage of new shoppers would laugh at a $1.00/day increase.

Mentioning the fact that your insurance agent stated the “significant increase” versus yourself running along with the idea most likely would have lead to less discussion of this topic.

Reactions: nvoges
#33 ·
As I said, I had heard that it was significantly more to insure a V8 Challenger than it was a V6 Challenger - and heard it from an insurance agent, who does this stuff every day, so why wouldn't I believe them? However, if someone takes that line from an internet forum post as absolute "gospel" without checking up on it themselves for their exact situation and their exact car, then they deserve to be "seriously misinformed".

Relax man...

How about this - I'll revise my statement to be "It *will* cost more to insure a V8 Challenger compared to a V6 Challenger. It's up to you to determine if that increase is *significant* or not." Happy now? <sigh>

#34 ·
Change / edit what you want.

At this point in the conversation, it’s quite obvious that you’ve found an adequate length of rope and have hanged yourself.

#37 ·
I went from $150/month for full coverage on a V6 LX to $120/month for liability only on a V8 LX.

Continuing the full coverage on the V8 LX would have doubled installment payments to almost $250/month.

Note: i have several factors working against me that increased policy amounts - previous at-fault accident, state awarded points for too many speeding tickets in a short amt of time, etc.

#38 ·
WOW WEEEEEEE! These numbers are killing me!!!! Outright thievery. My Scatpack I pay $657 per YEAR! That is up $50. from the first year. I was mad about that.
Are you putting those things through College or what? I am SO sorry. Could not imagine.... I'm over 60 with 0 kids married with the homeowners discount but still...
OUCH!

#39 ·
Can you imagine the *$800 per month* insurance rate that 17 year old is paying for his Hellcat?!?! That is insane. I would never even pay that much for the car itself, let alone just for the insurance!! That comes out to $9,600 per year just for insurance!

$657 per year is pretty damn good for full coverage.

I'm 47 and and even without any "at-fault" claims (just had my first at-fault accident, but don't know how much of an increase it will be for that yet) and multple "discounts", such as:

Accident Free, Multicar, Vehicle Safety, Antitheft, Annual Mileage

I still pay 844.78 per year for full coverage on my 2018 Challenger GT (V6). I'm hoping the increase from my accident isn't more than 10%...

#40 ·
Well I had pretty much decided to keep my SXT Plus but while I was looking I had some dealers sending email's of inventory and one caught my eye. Ready, A 2018 pitch black R/T Plus loaded with more options than my car. The car has 4K miles on it and can buy the car at 7K plus my car. I pulled the window sticker on the R/T and MSRP was $43965. I also asked that my springs be moved to the R/T and they where cool with that. Got my credit union to approve the loan at a great rate. I think this may be the car to get. They are asking 30.5K for the 2018 R/T and giving me 23.5K for my car. It's to good to be true. I can finance for 5 years and still be on track to have it paid by retirement. This R/T is like new and the right color, equipment and price. I think this is the one.

Reactions: GSBrockman
#41 ·
That would be hard to ignore if you are looking to get into a V8 model! :) Have you checked the Carfax to make sure it hasn't been in an accident, or a flood car or soemthing like that? I know Carfax isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing and certainly can't hurt. Usually, the dealership provides them for free.

My guess is that it's just a personal lease that someone turned in after the lease period, but I would still check up on it as much as possible. I bought my 2018 GT with 3k miles and saved quite a bit over new - mine was a personal lease.

Please let us know what ends up happening - and post some pics please!!

#43 ·
$13,000 off the used 2018 R/T is not a bad deal, IMO, based on the profit, holdback, and rebates on some of these cars.

If all other parts of the equation suit you, it might be the one to make a move on (reference my post #20).

#44 ·
I am thinking the same way. Not too many R/T Plus cars with low miles out there. I will be going to see it on Tuesday and make the deal if all goes as planned and the car checks out. It has an in service date of 12/2018 so will have more time on the factory warranty then mine. Thanks for the idea GS, I just started sending email inquiries and found this 2018 R/T Plus. I spoke with the sales manager and the guy who traded it kept it in his garage and did not drive in bad weather. Let's see how it goes down on Tuesday.

#45 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Rim

Here is a pic of the R/T Plus, I think there should be HEMI badge on the front fender. Could the previous owner take them off? A mistake from the factory? A bit concerned there could have been an unreported accident? It is a Blacktop package car but they should be there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.