2018 SXT 180 Thermostat - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
2018 SXT 180 Thermostat

I have been doing a little research but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if there is a 180 Degree Thermostat that is compatible with the SXT V6? I believe the stock is 195-200 degree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,043 Times in 869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrosioian View Post
I have been doing a little research but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Does anyone know if there is a 180 Degree Thermostat that is compatible with the SXT V6? I believe the stock is 195-200 degree.
Welcome to the forum.

Stock is 203F. Going to a 180F make cause a DTC especially if you live in the northern states.

I think Ripp sells them for the 3.6.
https://rippmods.com/products/2012-2...deg-thermostat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ M6 (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
The Following User Says Thank You to ChallyTatum For This Useful Post:
ambrosioian (02-20-2019)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallyTatum View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Stock is 203F. Going to a 180F make cause a DTC especially if you live in the northern states.

I think Ripp sells them for the 3.6.
https://rippmods.com/products/2012-2...deg-thermostat
Okay cool. Thankfully I live in Arizona, so no issues there. I'm just getting an idea of what mods there are and things I can do down the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Ripp work pretty good !
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Thanked 1,043 Times in 869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gélinas View Post
Ripp work pretty good !
Did you modify the tune so the fans turn on at lower temps? If not, the car will run close to stock temps in stop and go traffic...but at highway speeds you should see cooler engine temp.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,931 Posts
Garage
https://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-wrang...mostat-12.html

I don't know if any advantage to a 180 thermostat to be honest

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,363 Times in 988 Posts
Garage
I will second @A Guy ’s assertion about running a 180F thermostat in a 3.6L - it is unlikely to provide any beneficial results to the average daily driven 3.6L Challenger.

There are some who even say that particular mod on this particular engine can result in a loss of performance and reduction in operational efficiency of several engine components. I am one of those people, though I believe the negative results are relatively minor and likely not noticeable to the average driver.

However that doesn’t mean the cumulative effects of the negative results couldn’t be noticed once enough time and miles have been logged with the 180F thermostat in a 3.6L.

Bottom line: unless you are addressing a specific need that requires a lower temp thermostat (and can adjust the PCM’s various fan settings accordingly), you should run the stock temp thermostat in a stock (or even lightly modified) 3.6L.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,931 Posts
Garage
I believe the manufacturer has reasons for choosing what temperature an engine maintains stock. Sometimes retaining heat is advantageous, and various efficiencies may depend on it. If it were for gas mileage only, and changing it resulted in great power increases, and power was your primary concern, then yes, by all means. But I doubt that is the case. I do think the temps it runs stock have to do with fuel economy as well, but these 3.6L engines are pretty much optimized. Not saying a tune and a 180 thermostat will not net you some HP, almost certainly will, but more than a tune alone?

A Guy
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Agree with those above. I wouldn't mess with the thermostat in these cars. Manufacturers spend a fortune and a ton of time to determine the best thermostat temperature to use for their engines.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,363 Times in 988 Posts
Garage
The stock thermostat temperature of 203F that Dodge uses is in line with all other automotive manufacturers’ stock thermostat temps for the engines in vehicles sold in the US. At first glance that might seem very odd that every manufacturer came to the same conclusion when deciding what temp to have their engines’ thermostats open up, given they never agree on anything else with regards to how their engines should operate.

The fact is it’s no coincidence. That temperature, or 100C to be more precise, is the temperature at which modern engine oils are certified to deliver the advertised specs. That’s the temp they get tested at, and that’s the temp at which they will do what the oil company promises they will do - maintain certain viscosity with advertised shear rates, etc.

To operate an engine at a temperature other than the 100C means inefficient behavior from the engine oil and then from the engine itself as a result. Is the difference significant? No, not in an immediately noticeable sense. But less than ideal behavior from the engine oil, and the resulting inefficiencies of the engine itself, will eventually add up to noticeable results over time.

Maybe that takes so long the original owner will have gotten rid of it by then. Maybe not...

Food for thought.

Mmmmm...food...Nuke hungry...Nuke go find food now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Tags
sxt , thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in