Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Oil for 3.6L engine

13K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  BOX 
#1 ·
So I was getting ready for the first oil change in my 2018 GT. I went to Walmart to grab some Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 and to my surprise, they don't seem to carry Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 OR Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 in the 5 qt. jugs... So I figured, oh well, and grabbed some Mobile 1 full-synthetic 5W20 instead. Then I get home and look it up only to find out that Mobile 1 full synthetic oil doesn't have the MS-6395 certification! I was really surprised about that. While I've always preferred Pennzoil oil myself, I assumed Mobile 1 would at least have the certification... NOT!

So - then I look up Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 at AutoZone - and they want *$42* for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5W20! I thought to my self - that seems awfully high...

So - then I look up Pennzoil 5W20 on Amazon and find that they have the 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 for only $24.97 *plus* there is a $10 mail-in rebate right now! So you can get 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $14.97 on Amazon right now (after $10 rebate). :)

Let's see - $42 for 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum at AutoZone or $15 for 5 quarts of Pennzoil *Ultra* Platinum at Amazon - with free next day delivery (if you have Amazon Prime)... Hmm - tough decision. :)

Bought (3) 5 qt. jugs from Amazon... Probably should have bought even more for that price...

Now I have to go and return the (2) 5 quarts jugs of Mobile 1 that I bought at Walmart though... First time I've *ever* returned engine oil! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you price the proper oil from a dealer? When I bought my R/T Scat Pack I bought 8 quarts of Pennzoil 0w-40 Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic oil from the dealer and got the oil at a nice discount. Filter too.

The dealer might offer a similar discount for the oil your car's engine requires.

#3 ·
I'll be honest - I avoid dealerships like the plague. I've *never* found something cheaper there than I can get elsewhere - they are typicall the most expensive. They are the places that usually charge like $7 for a single door panel retaining clip (ask me how I know) - when you can get a box of 15 online for like $15. :) Also, I really don't have any Dodge dealerships near me - would have to drive over 30 minutes each way.

And most importantly, I can guarantee that they will not sell me 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil for $14. :)

I've never purchased oil from Amazon before, but I definitely will be in the future. Love the free next day delivery too.

But I do appreciate the reply - just so happens that I'm not fond of dealerships. I hate going there even for "free" warranty work. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Damn, that didn't last long - the price for this oil jumped up to $30.96 that quick - a $6 increase over what I paid for it two days ago.

Also, after reading the fine print for the rebate - you can only get up to $20 max back to the single address, so the $10 rebate is only good for (2) bottles. But still, even with the price increase, you're only paying $31 for 5 quarts of Pennzoils best synthetic oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum), after rebate. Still hard to beat. Even without the rebate, it's still about $12 cheaper than AutoZone (for 5 quart bottle)...

#5 ·
Amazon just delivered 2 5 quart jugs to my house yesterday for $24 a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20. Guess i should have ordered more if they had a price jump.

#6 ·
Yeah, same here - they just delivered (3) 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Planitum 5W20 to my house yesterday too (enough for 2 oil changes with a few quarts leftover). For $24.97 + $10 rebate, that is just a crazy-good deal. I too was debating ordering even more for that price, but.... Kind of sucks you can only get the rebate on (2) of them, but still - even without the rebate, it's a really good deal. Hell, even at the current $31, it's still a good deal. Will be ordering my oil through Amazon going forward now - especially since Walmart doesn't stock 5W20 in these 5 quart jugs. Other places are way too expensive.

I've always wondered if Amazon "adjusts" prices frequently based on how much is ordered. Like if a lot of something is ordered, they increase the price a little... I swear RockAuto does that too.

#9 ·
It's not that I'm worried about it "hurting" my engine - but if I ever needed an engine-related warranty claim and the only proof I have of oil changes is receipts for Mobile 1 oil, they could say that Mobile 1 doesn't meet their "MS-whatever" certifications and I could run into warranty-related issues. Not even worth it - I'll make sure I use Pennzoil, which *does* carry the proper certifications. Personally, Pennzoil is what I prefer anyway - the only reason I bought Mobile 1 to begin with was because they didn't have the Pennzoil (before I found that Mobile 1 wasn't certified). :) Even if you go to the mobile1 website and key in your vehicle info, they do not even recommend Mobile 1 for this vehicle. The *do* recommend Mobile Super oil though.

So for me, Pennzoil it is...

#10 ·
It's good that you're paying attention to the details, but in this instance, the likelihood that running the Mobile 1 would come back to haunt you is so low that it's practically 0%.

Funny anecdote involving the 3.6L and Mobile Super: I once purchased 6 quarts of Mobile Super for the 3.6L I had in my 2011 Challenger, and after pouring in all 6 quarts, I checked the oil with the dipstick only to find nothing showing. An in depth investigation into the missing oil turned up the fact that I had forgotten to put the oil drain plug back in, and the 6 quarts of new oil I poured in the topside was now mixed with the old oil in the drain pan. D'OH!!

#12 ·
Whether it's about money or not, it makes no sense to "complicate" things by using an oil that doesn't have the certifications. Why would I do that and risk warranty-releated issues? Like I said, even Mobile 1 themselves don't recommend Mobile 1 oil for this engine. :) If Mobile 1 doesn't care to obtain the certification needed for my engine, then I won't use it - plain and simple. I'm not even sure why this is up for debate. Use the oil that is certified for your engine and don't worry about it.

Besides, I can get Pennzoil Ultra Platinum delivered to my door next day for chepear than I can buy Mobile 1 if I go get it myself. Right now, with the $10 rebate, I can get 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $15 - delivered. :) I personally prefer Pennzoil to boot - so it's pretty simple, really.

#14 ·
He's from Texas...

A Guy

#16 ·
I am a lonnnngggggg time user of Castrol Synthetic engine oil.

Castrol’s EDGE in 5W20 meets the Chrysler MS 6395 specification, and can be found almost everywhere, especially Walllllly HELL and Meijer.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...astrol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_5w-20

I’ve ran this in my previous 2016 Challenger SXT Plus, the wife’s current 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (3.6L) and also in a 2014 Chrysler 200 (3.6L).

Since Jim Cogdill Dodge gave me 7 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W20 and a 339 oil filter for my recently purchased 2018 Challenger T/A (I negotiated that since the car had been on their lot for around 400 days) I’ll use it soon, but I will resume Castrol EDGE in the Challenger T/A 5.7L next oil change.

Even with 6,000 to 7,000 mile OCI’s on the 3.6L engines, it’s always amazing how clean the Castrol EDGE oil looks when draining.

#18 ·
Just a suggestion, and a bargain. Kendall GT-1 MAX full synthetic not only meets spec, but carries with it the same additive pack found in Castrol's Edge, (titanium) and priced well at 12/32oz bottles for $42.20. I use this in both my Jaguar, and my Mopar. Kendall is owned by Phillips Petroleum. Go to PSC and get a case, or Google it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.