Oil for 3.6L engine - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Oil for 3.6L engine

So I was getting ready for the first oil change in my 2018 GT. I went to Walmart to grab some Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 and to my surprise, they don't seem to carry Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 OR Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 in the 5 qt. jugs... So I figured, oh well, and grabbed some Mobile 1 full-synthetic 5W20 instead. Then I get home and look it up only to find out that Mobile 1 full synthetic oil doesn't have the MS-6395 certification! I was really surprised about that. While I've always preferred Pennzoil oil myself, I assumed Mobile 1 would at least have the certification... NOT!

So - then I look up Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 at AutoZone - and they want *$42* for a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5W20! I thought to my self - that seems awfully high...

So - then I look up Pennzoil 5W20 on Amazon and find that they have the 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W20 for only $24.97 *plus* there is a $10 mail-in rebate right now! So you can get 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $14.97 on Amazon right now (after $10 rebate). :-)

Let's see - $42 for 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum at AutoZone or $15 for 5 quarts of Pennzoil *Ultra* Platinum at Amazon - with free next day delivery (if you have Amazon Prime)... Hmm - tough decision. :-)

Bought (3) 5 qt. jugs from Amazon... Probably should have bought even more for that price...

Now I have to go and return the (2) 5 quarts jugs of Mobile 1 that I bought at Walmart though... First time I've *ever* returned engine oil! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Garage
Did you price the proper oil from a dealer? When I bought my R/T Scat Pack I bought 8 quarts of Pennzoil 0w-40 Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic oil from the dealer and got the oil at a nice discount. Filter too.

The dealer might offer a similar discount for the oil your car's engine requires.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'll be honest - I avoid dealerships like the plague. I've *never* found something cheaper there than I can get elsewhere - they are typicall the most expensive. They are the places that usually charge like $7 for a single door panel retaining clip (ask me how I know) - when you can get a box of 15 online for like $15. :-) Also, I really don't have any Dodge dealerships near me - would have to drive over 30 minutes each way.

And most importantly, I can guarantee that they will not sell me 5 quarts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil for $14. :-)

I've never purchased oil from Amazon before, but I definitely will be in the future. Love the free next day delivery too.

But I do appreciate the reply - just so happens that I'm not fond of dealerships. I hate going there even for "free" warranty work. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Damn, that didn't last long - the price for this oil jumped up to $30.96 that quick - a $6 increase over what I paid for it two days ago.

Also, after reading the fine print for the rebate - you can only get up to $20 max back to the single address, so the $10 rebate is only good for (2) bottles. But still, even with the price increase, you're only paying $31 for 5 quarts of Pennzoils best synthetic oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum), after rebate. Still hard to beat. Even without the rebate, it's still about $12 cheaper than AutoZone (for 5 quart bottle)...

Last edited by jtrosky; 05-04-2019 at 08:53 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Amazon just delivered 2 5 quart jugs to my house yesterday for $24 a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w20. Guess i should have ordered more if they had a price jump.

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, same here - they just delivered (3) 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Planitum 5W20 to my house yesterday too (enough for 2 oil changes with a few quarts leftover). For $24.97 + $10 rebate, that is just a crazy-good deal. I too was debating ordering even more for that price, but.... Kind of sucks you can only get the rebate on (2) of them, but still - even without the rebate, it's a really good deal. Hell, even at the current $31, it's still a good deal. Will be ordering my oil through Amazon going forward now - especially since Walmart doesn't stock 5W20 in these 5 quart jugs. Other places are way too expensive.

I've always wondered if Amazon "adjusts" prices frequently based on how much is ordered. Like if a lot of something is ordered, they increase the price a little... I swear RockAuto does that too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ha! Now it's back down to $24.97 again with free next day prime shipping and the $10 rebate. Go figure. No idea why the price went up to $31 for a day...

Get it while you can...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Some might say no. But I would use the Mobil 1 5W20 with no worries. There's no way that oil will hurt your 3.6.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It's not that I'm worried about it "hurting" my engine - but if I ever needed an engine-related warranty claim and the only proof I have of oil changes is receipts for Mobile 1 oil, they could say that Mobile 1 doesn't meet their "MS-whatever" certifications and I could run into warranty-related issues. Not even worth it - I'll make sure I use Pennzoil, which *does* carry the proper certifications. Personally, Pennzoil is what I prefer anyway - the only reason I bought Mobile 1 to begin with was because they didn't have the Pennzoil (before I found that Mobile 1 wasn't certified). :-) Even if you go to the mobile1 website and key in your vehicle info, they do not even recommend Mobile 1 for this vehicle. The *do* recommend Mobile Super oil though.

So for me, Pennzoil it is...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,354 Times in 982 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
It's not that I'm worried about it "hurting" my engine - but if I ever needed an engine-related warranty claim and the only proof I have of oil changes is receipts for Mobile 1 oil, they could say that Mobile 1 doesn't meet their "MS-whatever" certifications and I could run into warranty-related issues. Not even worth it - I'll make sure I use Pennzoil, which *does* carry the proper certifications. Personally, Pennzoil is what I prefer anyway - the only reason I bought Mobile 1 to begin with was because they didn't have the Pennzoil (before I found that Mobile 1 wasn't certified). :-) Even if you go to the mobile1 website and key in your vehicle info, they do not even recommend Mobile 1 for this vehicle. The *do* recommend Mobile Super oil though.

So for me, Pennzoil it is...
It's good that you're paying attention to the details, but in this instance, the likelihood that running the Mobile 1 would come back to haunt you is so low that it's practically 0%.

Funny anecdote involving the 3.6L and Mobile Super: I once purchased 6 quarts of Mobile Super for the 3.6L I had in my 2011 Challenger, and after pouring in all 6 quarts, I checked the oil with the dipstick only to find nothing showing. An in depth investigation into the missing oil turned up the fact that I had forgotten to put the oil drain plug back in, and the 6 quarts of new oil I poured in the topside was now mixed with the old oil in the drain pan. D'OH!!

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode