Rear differential upgrade - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Gcc

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Rear differential upgrade

So i have the basic 2017 SXT. Im interested in changing out my rear differential gears to the ones for an SXT Plus. I want that little extra kick from the line without doing a ton of upgrades that i cant afford right now. Going from the 2.62 to the 3.09. Is it just a simple swap of the gears or will i need to change out the entire case or get a special tune to make it compatible? Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,365 Times in 990 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcc View Post
So i have the basic 2017 SXT. Im interested in changing out my rear differential gears to the ones for an SXT Plus. I want that little extra kick from the line without doing a ton of upgrades that i cant afford right now. Going from the 2.62 to the 3.09. Is it just a simple swap of the gears or will i need to change out the entire case or get a special tune to make it compatible? Thanks for any advice!
As long as the differential you are going to is also an open one (not LSD in other words), you can get away with just swapping out the pumpkins. All the axles and such will remain from previous (current) setup.

The 2015+ cars no longer need to adjust the tune to account for a rear-end change, the car will automatically detect it and be good to go.

2012 Charger R/T with Pursuit pkg. (2018 - ?)
-- The Bacon Hauler
------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Challenger Rallye Redline (2015 - 2018)
2011 Challenger Toxic Orange SE (2011 - 2014)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Also, as far as I can tell, nobody makes an install kit to just change the gear set. Even the dealers are swapping out the center section vice changing the gears. I ended up swapping my Mettingen one legger with 3.06 for a Getrag posi with 3.73's.

I calculated it up, and if somebody did make an install kit for the Mettingen, by the time you added up the cost of the gear set, install kit, and a posi unit (Wavetrac or Quaife ATB Helical) and everything else, the cost difference between building up the the 215 and swapping out to a Getrag was less than $550. Neither option is exactly cheap, but swapping the entire rear and axles not only gets you the gear set you want, but the Getrag is much stronger.

2012 Challenger SXT+, Tidal Wave Stage 3 Supercharger, 8 LBS Boost Tranzformer'd, Mishimoto catch can, 3:73 Getrag Posi. Best times to date: 0-60 4.20, 1/4 mile 12.96 @ 107 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 PM

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,716 Posts
Garage
2015+ gearsets can't be changed. The pumpkins are welded after assembly, so the complete pumpkin has to be changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Past: 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T "Classic" RIP Old Buddy 6/4/15

The Present: 2016 R/T Scat Pack. Factory Options: B5 Blue, 24G Package(A8), WRT Wheels, and Modern R/T Hood Stripe. Engine HP Mods: None Needed. HC Air Box/Tube; DIPs Screen; BT Catch Can; Mopar front Brace;"TA" style side stripes; Mopar '10 Center Caps
The Following User Says Thank You to 19johned53 For This Useful Post:
Bob Ricewasser (06-02-2019)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,365 Times in 990 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcc View Post
At the risk of sounding presumptive, I'm guessing you're an old school gear-head from way back (it takes one to know one, right?!?).

A rear-end gear swap is still a valid approach to increasing the low-end acceleration of an under-geared car, but it's no longer as involved as it used to be...which h is a good thing, trust me.

The old way:
You would crack open the rear diff and remove its guts to install some other guts that had a diff ratio. And you better know what you're doing and have all the right tools, or you will end up spilling those guts all over the road the next time you put the hammer down.

The new way:
Ascertain which year models have compatible third members, locate one at a local salvage yard in the desired ratio, block off a weekend to swap out the pumpkins. BLAMMO! You got yourself a lowered geared rear-end to help ease the hangover you got from two straight days of drinking and turning wrenches.

There are some caveats to the new approach, like doing the hubs and axles at the same time if you're going from open to LSD or vice-versa, but that's it in a nutshell. It really is a more straightforward way to do this mod IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Tags
performance upgrade , rear differential , sxt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode