SXT Plus speaker system volume is abnormally quiet 2016 challenger sxt plus - Page 2 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Location: The state where 4 out of 7 former Governors went to jail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
You can use MP3 Gain to set all MP3s to have the same level as well. Lossless output

A Guy
Well that's what I was getting at. Is the OP sure that his MP3 files aren't the problem? My system sounds good to me provided the MP3 file is "good".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Challenger RT+ (non-STP)
8lb Magnuson w/ Innovate PSB-1 wideband/boost/shift light gauge
Corsa extreme (2.5")
4" Aluminum one-piece driveshaft
Hellcat bottom airbox
Stainless Works LT headers (2" primaries)
Barton shifter assembly w/ Lou's short shaft and Speed Dawg knob
Comp Cam 7929 & 7748 push rods (gives slightly more lifter preload)
A2speed aluminum coil and valve covers (built in catchcan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 AM

Garage
I have the sxt plus with the alpine 506w amp. I have noticed a drop in volume through playing music from my phone as opposed to the radio. Also, the sound quality is .... not that great lol.

Maybe I've gotten too used to the setup in my Civic with a 4000w amp.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challlo View Post
I have the sxt plus with the alpine 506w amp. I have noticed a drop in volume through playing music from my phone as opposed to the radio. Also, the sound quality is .... not that great lol.

Maybe I've gotten too used to the setup in my Civic with a 4000w amp.
Same here... I have PLENTY of volume with FM/XM. But listenting to steaming music (Spotify, Pandora, etc) via Android Auto is MUCH, MUCH lower in volume - and kind of "flat" sounding compared to XM. I actually think the music from Android Auto is more "accurate", but if you set the Bass/Mid/Treble to where Android Auto sounds great, is makes FM/XM much too "boomy". So you kinf of have to find that "just right" compromise with Bass/Mid/Treble, so that FM/XM *and* Andorid Auto are just "OK". Listening to MP3's directly from a thumb drive is better than Android Auto in terms of volume, but still much lower than FM/XM.

I really wish listening to streaming audio via Android Auto would be louder. Looking forward to replaceing the stock amp with a 125Wx6 RMS amp and Rockford Fosgate DSR1 (amp replacement and full DSP device). Then, volume will never be an issue again - not to mention the audio will sound freaking awesome too becuase of the DSP. :-)

I don't think that simply increasing MP3 volume via MP3 Gain is the "right" way to go. You can increase it to a point, but if you go too far, the tracks will clip and cause sound quality issues. I do use MP3 Gain to make all of my MP3's the *same* volume, but you have to be careful how much gain you apply...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:17 AM

Garage
Interesting. I haven't tried a thumb drive yet.

I use an Android too. When you play it through your phone, are you able to adjust the equalizer through the app you're playing music through? I use an app called blackplayer and toggling the controls of the equalizer produce better sound results. However, this doesn't fix the volume issue.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challlo View Post
Interesting. I haven't tried a thumb drive yet.

I use an Android too. When you play it through your phone, are you able to adjust the equalizer through the app you're playing music through? I use an app called blackplayer and toggling the controls of the equalizer produce better sound results. However, this doesn't fix the volume issue.
Actually, my understanding is that Android Auto sends music as completely "flat" and that anything like volume boosters or even equalizers don't do anything. All processing is done inside the head-unit only.

You are connecting your phone via USB cable, correct? If so are you sure the EQ function is actually doing anything? Although, I haven't used my phone to listen to music stored on the phone itself - I use a tiny little thumb drive (128gb) for all of my "local" music. Only use Spotify and Pandroa via Android Auto.

However, I *do* know for absolutely certainty that Viper4Android (fantastic audio-processing app for Android) does absolutely nothing to the audio when using Android Auto - like I said, I believe music gets passed to the head-unit digitally - so no processing occurs to the music before being sent.

I can play the same music via bluetooth (where Viper4Android processing *does* work and get MUCH, MUCH better adui quality (and much higher volume) - but then you can only perform previous/next sound from the head-unit - nothing else - you also can't charge your phone when using bluetooth since Android Auto takes over as soon as you connect the the phone.

I'll mess wth Black Player and some others today to see if I can get EQ working for music stored on the phone - but I haven't been able to get any EQ working for Spotify or Pandroa via Android Auto.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
You've definitely experimented more than I have and probably saved me time from trying all the things that don't work.
I should've specified that I connect via Bluetooth and I play music that's already downloaded to my phone.
I know Spotify has it's own equalizer and I think Pandora has an option to checkmark higher quality audio. Haven't tried either but I assume Spotifys equalizer will allow for a better output.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Ah - OK - if you use bluetooth, then you DO have some options. If you are somewhat familiar with Android phones, and have rooted - or are willing to root - definitely look into Viper4Android - it can make music from your phone sound *SO* much better (over bluetooth, headphones or phone-speaker only - not via AndroidAuto). It's kind of a pain to get installed and working, but it can make an incredible difference in sound quality. If you ever use it, try the BBE2 "convolver". :-) Also, it allows you to significantly increase output levels as well.

ANd yes, the Pandora and Spotify EQ's (which really just link to the Android "system-wide" EQ), *do* work over bluetooth. If you install Viper4Android, it will actually become your "system-wide" EQ in Android. The amount of audio processing that it is capable of is insane - as in the improvement in sound quality.

Unfortunately, none of this EQ stuff (stock Android or Viper4Android) work with Android Auto (phone connected to car via USB cable). Which sucks.

Last edited by jtrosky; 06-12-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,784 Times in 2,862 Posts
Garage
MP3 Gain is 100% not a fix, it's a band aid for the issue. I drive my car weekends, $5 a month for SXM is OK, but spending cash on a sound system to listen to a few hours a weekend isn't something my logical brain will allow, lol. The thing is, even "only" 276w should be enough to have more volume.

A Guy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus Pitch Black Blacktop Package. Eibach Pro lowering springs. Solo cat back exhaust. Paint and wheels coated w/ CQuartz Finest. DLux on all plastic.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
MP3 Gain is 100% not a fix, it's a band aid for the issue. I drive my car weekends, $5 a month for SXM is OK, but spending cash on a sound system to listen to a few hours a weekend isn't something my logical brain will allow, lol. The thing is, even "only" 276w should be enough to have more volume.

A Guy
I completely understand. I was just saying that you do have to be careful how far you go with MP3 Gain, that's all.

At the end of the day, we all have different "priorities" with our cars. My Challenger is a daily-driver and I love loud, great-sounding audio, so the sound system is extremely important to me - just as your Challenger is a weekend-warrior and the paint finish is extremely important to you. They both cost a lot of $$$ - we just put that $$$ towards different areas of the car depending on what is important to each of us. It's all good!

Yeah, I read somewhere that the 276w amp is actually 276w MAX, not RMS, so we're really only talking about 46w x 6 MAX - which is probably like 25w x 6 RMS. Really not that powerful of an amp. But I agree that it still should be a little louder. I typically run out of volume before I hear any distortion with USB and Android Auto - so the volume "scale" seems to be a little low to me. I wish the USB and AndroidAuto volume levels were like FM/XM levels - which are WAY louder in my car.

Although, you mentioned that your USB and Android Auto levels are the same as FM/XM, didn't you? If so, that's really strange - it's not even close on mine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Tags
alpine , challenger , challenger 2016 , speakers , sxt plus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode