Well Boys, I've rolled her! - Page 6 - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific This area is for discussion specific to the Dodge Challenger SE/SXT model.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Well boys, here's an update. Remember this though;

Rule #1 - This car has 215,417 miles on it, it's PAID for and it still looks GREAT.

Don't forget that.

That rocker arm clickety clack has been driving me mad for over 100,000 miles and it was getting LOUDER. Well, I had to take care of it so I went over to Amazon on line and bought the rocker arms for both sides and gaskets for the intake plenum and valve covers. About $550 for the whole shootin' match. I finally carved out some time to do it this past weekend and I figured several hours to do the job. I started at 10 AM. Got the plenum off and the drivers side valve cover off by Noon. OK, some sweating and cursing involved but no big deal. Rocker arms come complete. Just unbolt the old assembly and bolt on the new one. That simple. Went to replace the valve cover gasket and realized I'd ordered the WRONG one. 1998-2006 valve cover gasket is NOT the same as the 2007-2010. Silly me. Why I didn't catch that I don't know. Anyway, I had to search around and found a set so after two hours, $42 more and a new set of plugs (I had to do that while I had the thing apart), I got back on the job.

On the passenger side, everything came apart as expected, but then, my luck ran out. See pic. Can lobe on that side is pretty badly gauld from rocker arm free play. So I sat for a while sipping iced tea and nibbling on marshmallow Peeps (Sugar high). What to do? In a perfect world I'd halt the job, order a new set of cams and replace them. More money and more time. In MY world, Rule #1 applies and I've got to have this thing running before tommorow.

So, I installed the NEW rocker arm on the BAD cam and said a Hail Mary knowing this is not a good thing to do. I got everything buttoned up by 10 PM, crossed my fingers and fired her up. She fired right up! She clicked for a split second and settled down to run and quiet as you please. In fact, now she runs so quiet I can hear the "whirrrr" from the alternator. Road test the next day and she runs like a champ. No clicks, nothing.
For how long? Again, refer to Rule #1 . If I make 300K miles, I'll call it good. Oh, during my road test my 11 year old son did me the honor of tagging my car by throwing up in the back seat. Rule #1 ....

Note: When replacing the "Millenium Falcon" intake plenum, tip it back a bit and insert the EGR pipe BEFORE bolting it back onto the intake. Your life will be much easier if you do it that way.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_5_Cam.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	637730  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg55_99 For This Useful Post:
Debo (12-01-2018), rghoskins (03-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Garage
Great thread and I also have high mileage on my car as well 136,000 and going.the only issue I have is my rear side markers don't work I've found water inside of both of them replaced both bulbs nothing lights up gotta take it in to the dealership to see if I need new wiring
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:10 PM

Thanked 1,286 Times in 792 Posts
Good write up!Waiting for the 300k update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 srt Challenger
2012 SRT Charger
07 SRT 300
2006 Tor Red Daytona Diablo tune,RSAs,,K&N CAI,headers,drilled slotted rotors
1970 RT Challenger 440
1970 Road Runner 440
94 Ram Cummins-44pds Boost,880 lbs tq,Big smoke car killer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well boys, this is all she wrote. She’s crossed over and it’s time to pick up a new ride. I bought my SE Memorial Day weekend in 2010. Back in those days, Challenger owners would wave to each other because there just weren’t that many on the road then. A whole lot more now! Anyway, I’ve treated her well and she’s treated me well. Never failed to start or not get me to work (her primary mission). And she did it looking REAL good. Some thoughts on things I’ve done over the years.

• Replaced rocker arms myself. Camshaft on passengers side was gauled and still is. Engine ticks because of that. No effect on performance.
  • On her third timing belt and water pump. First replacement by dealer at 100K miles. Second replacement by me at 200K. Due for another one. Won’t be me.
  • Cleaned throttle body at 220k
  • Replaced air filters every 30K miles.
  • Oil change every 3000 miles (or 21 to 28 days). Included free car wash.
  • Third windshield
  • Second radio
  • Fourth set of tires plus one set of winter treads on separate rims.
  • Third dipstick (they break easy)
  • Replaced headlight bulbs four times.
  • Replaced taillight bulbs four times.
  • Replaced drivers side tie rod.
  • Fifth set of front brake rotors and pads. Second set of rear brake rotors and pads.(All replaced by me)
  • Replaced coolant twice.
  • Replaced spark plugs at 200K.
  • Replaced transmission fluid AND filter twice (At 100K and 200K).
  • Had Diff refilled (was overfilled at shop and caused a leak on the passenger’s side rear axle seal. Still there, don’t care).
  • Replaced blower motor
  • Heater “mixer” not functioning properly. Heat and cooling only comes out of vents when car is on the move. Don’t care anymore.
  • Recharged A/C 230K miles.
  • “Clunk” sound from transmission tunnel when in Drive and stepping on the brake pedal. No effect.
  • After rocker arm replacement, throttle body light and traction control light would come on sporadically. Traced to possible air leak between EGR tube and intake manifold. I smeared silicone sealer around the port. Lights went out and stayed out but still come on once or twice a year. I just pullover, shut down car and restart. Problem goes away. Don’t care anymore.
  • Check Engine light came on last month. Tightened gas cap. Light went out.
  • Power window on drivers side is slower than passengers side.
  • Accessory belt changed with timing belt.
  • Small rust bubble on passengers side rear wheel well.
  • Adjustment knob broke off of drivers power seat
  • Headliner flops down when sunroof is open
  • Still has original battery, starter, alternator,struts, A/C compressor, power steering pump, throttle body, coil packs, steering rack, radiator, thermostat, brake calipers.
  • Needs driver’s side air bag replaced. Recall item. Don’t care anymore.
  • Rubber trim seal surrounding engine compartment and hood came loose. I pulled it off. Don’t care now.
  • Rubber trim seal around trunk is loose. Don’t care.
  • Inside door window trim is cracked on both sides.
  • Wiper blades replaced three times
  • Sunglass' compartment door sprung. Won't open or close properly. Don't care.
  • Wanders a bit going down the road. Requires more effort to keep her in a straight line.
  • Slight buzz coming from dash under the steering column.
  • "Thump" from front suspension when going over bumps and potholes
  • Replaced key fob battery five times in seven years.
I think that’ll flat get it. I’ve been driving since 1973 and I will say, this is the BEST car I have ever owned. Still, it’s time for her to go. I’m thinking about an AWD Charger. My kids aren’t small anymore so I think I need four doors.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car_chally22.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	906778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car_chally11.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	906786  

Last edited by Greg55_99; 04-27-2018 at 06:03 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg55_99 For This Useful Post:
Bad daytona (04-18-2018), mr.cheez (04-18-2018), Thatguy022 (04-23-2018)
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage
Yeah, I fell for it too. I was expecting to see total chaos and destruction as you spun in at 140mph, did a triple gainer and landed on a Prius. Well, maybe next time. I have a 392 IE with 17k on it now, so I figure I'll roll it sometime in the spring of 2059 or so. I'll be sure to post a picture. Good going on your first successful rollover.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well boys, she ain't dead yet!

She's tired, real tired. I've been trying to pick up a new ride but finding the right Charger Pursuit Hemi AWD has been a challenge. Meanwhile, my baby just keeps on going but she's telling me the end may be near:

• "PRND" indicators under the tach disappeared.
  • Window is chipped and was fixed
  • Failed inspection - had to replace right lower control arm
  • Left lower control arm is indicating it needs replacement
  • Key fob is acting up. Trunk pops open when putting keys in my pocket. Windows roll down by themselves. Cleaned inside of keyfob but problems have returned.
  • Check engine light comes on periodically. "P03050" code. Misfire on cylinder 5. Possible injector, coil pack or sparkplug problem.
  • All indicators (Lightning bolt, etc) no longer function. It's dark under there.
  • Traction control light came on at low speed in a parking lot and the engine died. Restarted immediately.
  • Low pressure on some tire keeps giving a warning even after I've checked and put air in all tires.
  • Rust spot on rear wheel well is getting slightly larger.
325,000 miles. 2010 SE. Original battery keeps on kicking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chal_dash1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	933857  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg55_99 For This Useful Post:
MEKrunner (11-15-2018), raceheart77 (12-15-2018)
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Greg55_99,
That is awsome mileage and she's stick ticking on rule#1.

I have set a 2018 Challanger on the same path as your DD 100 plus miles round trip per day commute. In 50 miles maybe 5 stop signs to get thru town then 75mph the whole trip. 2 weeks and 1800 miles now. 25 to 35k miles per year we will see how it holds up.
Of course I'm not into rule #1 yet I'm still in the, this car is the nicest car I've ever owned stage. 3 coats of wax on it already. Can't stand it getting dirty phase. LOL
Congrats and keep us updated she's been good to you.
Here's a pic of mine hope she holds up as good as your has.

Name:	20181103_110048_1542446795836.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	933923

2018 SXT Plus Granite Crystal Metallic
2017 Maverick XMR 1000R
2015 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 Aisin
2014 Palomino Columbia 43' TH
The Following User Says Thank You to Mud Yapster For This Useful Post:
Debo (12-01-2018)
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:33 PM

I've rolled her too, yesterday she has completed 1004 km...

2018 Dodge Challenger
SXT Plus
Pentastar 3.6L VVT
Tinted Windows
GoodYear 245/45 R20 99Y
Red Interior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well boys, the end has come. After nine good years and over 347,500 miles I let her go to a new home. I'd had a hankering for an All Wheel Drive Hemi car and finally found a 2019 Dodge Charger Pursuit in Springfield Missouri. The new Charger was in so the Challenger had to go. She was getting tired. I'd replaced the lower control arm on the drivers side, the wheel hub on the passenger's side, got a new battery, wife accidentally backed into the left rear putting a "boop" on the bumper. Thought she'd hold out a little longer but the rocker arms went from a tick-tick-tick to a RAP-RAP-RAP. I knew the passengers side cam was giving up. Pulled the cover to check and yep, it was REAL ugly. With that in mind, I put her on Craigslist and got a hit after a couple of days. I gave the gent that showed up ALL of the info her and showed him pics of the good AND the bad. Didn't want him to be surprised about anything. $4500 changed hands and he drove her away. that's life isn't it? Endings and new beginnings. It's been good boys, but I had to move on. She was the best car I'd ever owned and that's me going back to my first in 1974.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chall_66.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	946855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chall_11.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	591.0 KB
ID:	946857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chall_22.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	946859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chall_33.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	606.4 KB
ID:	946861   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chall_44.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	648.6 KB
ID:	946863  

post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It's been good boys, but so long for now.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camshaft_35L_1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	946865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charger_2019.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	946867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charger_44.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	946869  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > Model Specific Discussion > Dodge Challenger SE/SXT Specific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode