Modifying the OEM A8 Handle Top - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums
Interior Discussion / Modifications If you are interested in modifying your Dodge Challenger's interior, this is the place to talk about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
(Thread Starter)
Modifying the OEM A8 Handle Top

So I was thinking of a minor mod of replacing the black trim cover of the shift knob on the automatic gear selector. I’m referring to the matte black cover to the right of the PRND trim. I was thinking of making it out of some exotic wood species, but before I get too far into it, I wanted to see if anyone tried to remove this trim. Anyone know if it just snaps in?, or screwed in from the inside?
Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Do you have an update? I need to replace mine as a puppy lunched out of the box and tore the vinyl covering.

Thanks,
GatorMark
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
GatorMark,
No, no updates, but since yours is already somewhat “destroyed”...........maybe try prying it off?
I know, that sounds pretty bad, asking another Challenger owner to maul their own baby for someone else’s benefit.

It seems it’s either snapped in from above, or fastened with a screw from inside.
I have to go to the dealer next week on another matter, I’ll try and poke around there, I’ll let you know if I find anything from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,556 Posts
Garage
from the videos I've browsed this morning - it looks like that top cover is probably retained by clips - so a nylon trim pry tool would be the way to do it.

You could probably do a vinyl wrap or hydrographic dip to give it a woodgrain look.

Depending on interior trim - some of those were either matte silver or matte black over the years

2016 392 Hemi Scat Pack Shaker 23Y pkg (M6) ordered 8/28/15, born 10/23/15, home 11/20/15
Torred / Black/ Ruby Red leather
2009 R/T 27J pkg (M6) ordered 7/17/08, born 10/23/08, home 11/13/08
Hemi Orange / Dark Slate/Light Slate Gray leather
-Sold 9/1/15
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Have you guys consider going after market with a Hurst shifter, or do you want to stay with the original?

https://www.carid.com/hurst-shifters...eid=1316203950

2016 SXT+ Airaid CAI. Fastman ported throttle body. Bright pedals. Billet Technology catch can. Petty front shock tower brace. 1 of 524 Plumb-crazy SXT's for 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums > General, Performance, and Technical > Interior Discussion / Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode